Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you HAD to convince someone to not get a Tesla, what would you say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check put the Kia EV6. That 800 volt system is going to be great for L3 charging. Shame it'll be hindered by a weak charging infrastructure for a few years (at least in North America).
The Kia EV6 has a lot less storage than the Model Y. Maybe as little as half as much.

The cargo area looks smaller than the Model Y, plus it has essentially no frunk and only a tiny briefcase sized area under the cargo area.

Not sure how important that is to you, but for me it's a huge advantage for the Model Y.

Also, I don't think the top poster was looking for reasons to buy something else!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Although realistically I'm very far off from getting a Tesla, I'm trying to avoid letting the awesomeness of these cars make me ignore any downsides when thinking about them. So hypothetically, if you HAD to convince someone not to get one, what would you tell them?
Just wait a couple years, it'll likely be cheaper and have longer range.

This is exactly what I did earlier this year. We already have a Model 3. Didn’t really want 2 EVs at the time so we went to test drive a Highlander Hybrid Platinum. Yes the build quality is WAY ahead of Tesla and it’s feature laden. Once we test drove it, it was SO underwhelming. Mainly the acceleration.
We did not like the build quality of our Model 3 and thought we could overlook the Highlander’s performance. Boy were we wrong! Ended up with a Y. Both the Highlander and the Y are around $51k.

To answer OP’s question, I’d say don’t expect Tesla’s build quality to be like a similarly priced ICE from a legacy automaker. You’re mostly paying for the tech and the battery.
Agreed Highlander Hybrid is a joke, no acceleration whatsoever. I thought that it should be faster than v6.
Highlander v6 is much better but still no match in speed to Tesla.

Reactions: Terminator857
I bought a Toyota when they were new. Guess what? "tons of flaws that should not be there". How many companies do you know that are ten years old the size of Tesla that are building cars with no flaws (besides which those flaws are all handled under warranty)? A new Ford has flaws. GM has flaws. As these companies start producing electrics they will step out of their comfort zones and have more problems.
compares tesla with the old guard...

(not.sure.if.serious.jpg)

- No real blind spot monitoring
- Small mirrors, really hinders sight and is a safety issue.
- Range is not as advertised
- Interior feels/looks like a $20k car
- Very weak AC system
- Very loud wind/road noise, no active noise cancellation
- Car gets really hot in the sun
- Quality Issues

Much of this if not all can be addressed by getting a luxury ICE car for around the same price or cheaper.
Lack of real rear facing radar is a problem. And now they removed the front radar too.

Tesla uses a lot of glass and I think is a big reason for noise. New refresh S/X has active noise cancelation. And most of your complaints don’t apply to those Tesla’s.

Noise/Ride is an issue on 3/Y but is not on S/X

I’ve done better than advertised range on both Model 3 and Model X.

No issues with either mirrors. The auto darken rear view mirror is often way to dark.

Although realistically I'm very far off from getting a Tesla, I'm trying to avoid letting the awesomeness of these cars make me ignore any downsides when thinking about them. So hypothetically, if you HAD to convince someone not to get one, what would you tell them?
they always are getting better and the next one will be a bit better than the last for = $
so wait a bit & invest any $ in TSLA

Customer communications are terrible
Customer service is terrible
Build quality is inconsistent and you don't get to pick your car off the lot, so buying is a pig in a poke.
Hard to find independent service and Tesla service is expensive and slow. They also make it hard to buy parts.
Interiors aren't typical premium level
Stiff suspension
Poor soundproofing compared to other vehicles
Regenerative braking is very strong and you can't configure it to be weaker, meaning the car will brake hard if you lift off the accelerator.
Cruise control is adaptive or nothing: no dumb cruise control fallback if the adaptive cruise isn't working or you simply prefer standard cruise.
Phantom braking when using driver assistance.
Has a long wheelbase so has a relatively large turning radius
Doesn't get the rated range on the highway
No CarPlay
No AndroidAuto
No SiriusXM
Navigation doesn't have waypoints
Single central screen, no display in front of you
No Federal tax credit on the price.
The CEO is a bullshitter with a fragile ego.

Did I miss anything?

Quality Control
Within spec-take it or leave it
Sideline job for the CEO, not his priority.
Poor internal customer service philosophy, no accountability for complete lack of communication
Service is slow and outside of warranty is grossly expensive
Tech company, not a car company
Haven't expanded service to match growth
Inflexible system
Range exaggerated compared to normal highway driving
Poor mapping, lots of errors, not updated enough
FSD quirks, excessive cost, and fuzzy rules on transfer/keeping
Missing some basics like Apple car play, XM, homelink, power frunk
Phantom braking
Tesla store, communication issues, lack of tracking, long delays

I'm sure I could think of several more if I kept at it. That said, I am still happy with the Y. Thankfully the car requires almost no service and is inherently reliable allowing us to avoid much of the perceived negatives. If we do basic research before purchasing, we're aware of the shortfalls and can add mods to take care of some lacking offerings.

Many of these are subjective.
  • I added small blind spot mirrors to the corner of the side view mirrors and that works better than any other blind spot system I have used.
  • I don't think the mirrors are small at all.
  • Range is less than advertised, but plenty for my needs. Teslas have great range compared to most other EVs.
  • I love the interior and how the tech works (mostly)
  • Our AC system is great
  • I don't notice any wind noise and minimal road noise
  • We have not had a problem with the car getting too hot in the sun. Plus you can turn on the AC remotely before you get in the car. I do it from my Apple Watch.
  • I have had no quality issues other than a rattle that they fixed.
Well then, you never had a luxury vehicle in your life. Your responses are typical kool aid drinking responses. The mirrors are small, more people have said it's small than big just like the AC, the ac system is not great. If you think the plain interior justifies $60k then you answer is subjective. There have been numerous threads that addresses the wind noise. You said you had no quality issues but had a rattle fixed, that contradicts what you just said. There are more people that have reported these issues than praising.

Tell them go test drive model Y and Toyota Highlander Platinum.
Same price but huge difference in quality of interior.
- Highlander - True 360 view. Digital Rear View mirror. 3 rows. bigger trunk. 450 mile on tank on highway. 2nd row sunshades. Autopilot equivalent needs huge improvements. Built in Tonneau cover. Awesome super quite interior.
- Model Y - Very fast! No Gas ! Awesome Autopilot. Interior quality can be much better. No Sunroof shade.
The Highlander Hybrid's AWD system is a piece of crap tho... Toyota's hybrid system does not have a reverse gear. So when you shift into reverse, the engine is only charging the battery, and the rear electric motor, is the ONLY thing propelling the SUV backwards... So if the rear tires happen to be on a patch of snow/ice, you are completely fubarred. My brother complained about this with his, when he was parked in a slightly inclined parking spot. Even on the prius a long time ago, there was a common problem with the car not able to reverse up steeper inclines, because the electric motor didn't have enough torque.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Customer communications are terrible
Customer service is terrible
Build quality is inconsistent and you don't get to pick your car off the lot, so buying is a pig in a poke.
Hard to find independent service and Tesla service is expensive and slow. They also make it hard to buy parts.
Interiors aren't typical premium level
Stiff suspension
Poor soundproofing compared to other vehicles
Regenerative braking is very strong and you can't configure it to be weaker, meaning the car will brake hard if you lift off the accelerator.
Cruise control is adaptive or nothing: no dumb cruise control fallback if the adaptive cruise isn't working or you simply prefer standard cruise.
Phantom braking when using driver assistance.
Has a long wheelbase so has a relatively large turning radius
Doesn't get the rated range on the highway
No CarPlay
No AndroidAuto
No SiriusXM
Navigation doesn't have waypoints
Single central screen, no display in front of you
No Federal tax credit on the price.
The CEO is a bullshitter with a fragile ego.

Did I miss anything?
Yep. Control arm squeaks after 48,000 miles.