Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm starting to think the X still isn't ready...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what "ready" for production means. Could it use improvements? Of course. But doesn't that apply to every vehicle and probably moreso for every non-Tesla vehicle?

To answer the question I would pose this question: If I had one of the founder X vehicles would I think it's not "ready" for others, if it rolled off the line just like mine? I highly doubt it.

Well, first off, if it was "ready" we'd be seeing cars coming off the line. The final car would be (to borrow a chip fab phrase) "tapped out". I know that Tesla is constantly refining it's production process, constantly changing how the cars are made, but at some point the car was "done" and ready to be mass produced. I don't see any indication this is remotely close to happening with the X. The car doesn't seem to be "tapped out".

Also, even if he had the time for a cross country drive, he probably didn't want to pay California use tax and Florida sales tax on the same car. I pretty much gave up hope of CA pick-up and drive back to NY when I heard about that.

FL doesn't double charge you tax if you can show you paid to another state. I'm military and have registered many cars with FL plates that were purchases overseas and in California.

FL doesn't double charge you tax if you can show you paid to another state. I'm military and have registered many cars with FL plates that were purchases overseas and in California.
Good to know. But if the use tax is higher in California than the sales tax is in Florida (which I expect it is) then I'm sure Florida doesn't give you a refund, do they?

I'm going to have to get definitive answers to these questions re: California pickup/NY registration as I was seriously considering pick-up at the factory and driving my family cross country in the X. And no, I'm not expecting to get definitive answers here in the forum. :) Just curious how it has worked for you in Florida with California vehicle purchases.

Good to know. But if the use tax is higher in California than the sales tax is in Florida (which I expect it is) then I'm sure Florida doesn't give you a refund, do they?

I'm going to have to get definitive answers to these questions re: California pickup/NY registration as I was seriously considering pick-up at the factory and driving my family cross country in the X. And no, I'm not expecting to get definitive answers here in the forum. :) Just curious how it has worked for you in Florida with California vehicle purchases.

It really boils down to your DMV in the state where you plan to title/register the car. Sales tax and cars is a complicated issue. I've had at least three different scenarios happen in the last 5 years because I've also purchased overseas through the military sales programs and you don't pay tax at purchase then, you pay it later when you register in the US.

If you buy a car in CA in most all cases the dealer will charge you tax as part of the sales price and process temp CA DMV paperwork so you can legally drive off the lot. Even if you are going to leave the state immediately I think that's not something you can skip- unless you can find a way to pre-register the car in the other state. Then you might be able to show up with valid out of state plates and put them on and drive off. However you still have purchased the car in CA, I think the dealership still has to charge you sales tax. FL gives you full credit for any tax paid to another state, as long as NY does the same thing you should be fine only paying once. There are also some car value based DMV fees in CA that kick in to make it even more painful but out of state resident military are exempt from those. The NY DMV should have some online info about registering cars bought from out of state, that should answer most of your questions regarding taxes and the required paperwork.

There are shipping companies that make a business picking up cars in CA and delivering them in NV just to get around the CA tax issue. You could go to the factory, get a tour, and then have Tesla ship the car to Las Vegas.

He was one who "took delivery" on the reveal night, VIN #3. For whatever reason he didn't drive it home immediately.

That's not the point I was addressing. Someone earlier hypothesized that the Founders series cars we saw 'delivered' on stage last week weren't really ready for customer delivery. I was just pointing out that at least #2 and #3 are now in customers' hands.

There are shipping companies that make a business picking up cars in CA and delivering them in NV just to get around the CA tax issue. You could go to the factory, get a tour, and then have Tesla ship the car to Las Vegas.

It doesn't work that way. The sales tax (and certain other fees) paid on a car is based on where it's registered, not where the owner picks it up.

If the "dealership" at which you buy the car charges the wrong sales tax, then there's a whole annoying process you must go through to get reimbursed in the non-resident state and then pay your taxes in the resident state.

You'd pay sales tax twice. In CA you have to pay CA sales tax at pickup and in NY they will make you pay sales tax again at registration. Then you'd have to go back to CA and request reimbursement IF they even allow that. I don't recommend CA pickup unless you live in CA.

You'd pay sales tax twice. In CA you have to pay CA sales tax at pickup and in NY they will make you pay sales tax again at registration. Then you'd have to go back to CA and request reimbursement IF they even allow that. I don't recommend CA pickup unless you live in CA.

From personal experience, even when it is legally required, getting taxes back from CA is a loooooooooong process, filled with Kafka-esque bureaucratic interactions.

Actually there was an old thread on this already. Tesla can give a temporary 90 day registration to avoid having to pay for CA tax. However you would be required to take the shortest possible route home.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8017-Factory-Delivery-CA-State-sales-tax

Without such an exception, in general it would be true that sales tax is due for items you pick up in CA even if you are using it out of state.

Actually there was an old thread on this already. Tesla can give a temporary 90 day registration to avoid having to pay for CA tax. However you would be required to take the shortest possible route home.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8017-Factory-Delivery-CA-State-sales-tax

Without such an exception, in general it would be true that sales tax is due for items you pick up in CA even if you are using it out of state.

That is, unfortunately, not true unless the California BOE has changed their rules. I did a bunch of research on this back when I was considering picking up my car from the factory. I even have a post on it later in that same thread:

Factory Delivery / CA State sales tax - Page 2

tl;dr - there is no escape from CA sales tax.

That is, unfortunately, not true unless the California BOE has changed their rules. I did a bunch of research on this back when I was considering picking up my car from the factory. I even have a post on it later in that same thread:

Factory Delivery / CA State sales tax - Page 2

tl;dr - there is no escape from CA sales tax.
You are correct actually, later in the thread there is an update:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...tate-sales-tax?p=130416&viewfull=1#post130416

I guess it really is impossible to avoid sales tax for CA delivery (no exceptions).

Actually, NY DMV web site says they credit any tax paid in California toward NY state tax so you don't pay the tax twice. Unfortunately CA tax is super high (6.25% state tax plus city and county taxes? - possibly close to 10% of total car cost, IIRC). And NY has a 4% state tax, but then individual county taxes on top of that. In NYC, I think I have to pay an additional 4.5% sales tax. And I'm not sure if that can be credited from another county in another state. I suspect it can't. I have an e-mail into the NY DMV asking for details. Hopefully I'll get an intelligent and comprehensive response. :)

I don't mind paying 9% or even 10% tax. But I don't want to pay 19% tax.

Let's be honest. Tesla cars are what other companies call concept cars. In many ways a Tesla is a decade ahead of its time.
But I understand, you're a typical successful developed world upper middle class guy. Instant satisfaction is demanded. You're paying for it.
Meanwhile, you will get your concept car that you can drive every day soon enough.
Sorry to be so hard. I used to live that first world middle class life. Back in Brazil for 15 years, we face so many problems which have no reason to be if we had USA like lets just do it mentality. Thanks for listening.
Tesla isn't making a mistake. They're playing the hand they have. Its not their interest to delay deliveries another quarter. Cars will start trickling down in some weeks. Perhaps you might want to demand Tesla made the MX simpler to built with less exotic features. That would have tremendously helped with the rampup, but I think most Model X signature buyers would disagree. They want a concept car they can drive.

This is a young company making its second mass-produced product, which they acknowledge became a very complex process and has already been dramatically delayed. Yes, it's absurd... but take it in stride. You KNEW the reality when you reserved the car, right? If you don't feel comfortable with Tesla having to make some adjustments and improvisations along the way, you'd be well advised to simply wait until they've produced 10,000 to 20,000 Model X cars, then buy one. Otherwise this process of waiting for your car is not going to be any fun... and getting a new car, especially something like the Model X, should most definitely be a fun process.