Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in a nice order to you Pete.
Looking forward to be testing the lights.

I forgot to order stuff for myself and had to put in a second order.

It is OK to ship it together, I ordered Fedex on the first and free shipping on the second.

Better lights for the Frunk on the D cars have been a demand and no good solution before now.

sigurdi

Pete (et al) -

Since there was discussion on the rear footwell lights, figured I'd include a shot of what under my seat looks like for reference if it helps anyone. This is a P85D with next gen seats but NO premium lighting. Sorry for all the dirt - guess I need to move the seat all the way up when vacuuming in the future! :)

I have some closer shots and full res if it helps anyone. DEFINITELY doing the trunk lights, not sure about the footwells as I don't need blinding brightness in the cabin!!

Full Width.jpg

Thanks, everybody, for all the interest. Below is a pic of the light, and how to disconnect the plug. Obviously I'll have more comprehensive instructions on the site soon, but I remember trying to talk my wife through trying to remove and add a bulb when I was in Europe (and my Model S was in Texas!), and it may not be obviously to everyone.

Basically, just push down on the tab pointed out below, that should release the plug, If it doesn't, a gentle tug on the light normally pulls it away. I've done this more times than I can remember on my trunk lights during testing, and they've held up to a bit of abuse perfectly. Each of the lights (mine, and Tesla's) have a little recess on one end, and that's where the spudger needs to go to pry the lights out. In the soft trim (trunk, puddle lights) it's very easy, in the hard trim (foot-wells) it requires a little more effort to really push the spudger in before prying.

release clip.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Pete (et al) -

Since there was discussion on the rear footwell lights, figured I'd include a shot of what under my seat looks like for reference if it helps anyone. This is a P85D with next gen seats but NO premium lighting. Sorry for all the dirt - guess I need to move the seat all the way up when vacuuming in the future! :)

I have some closer shots and full res if it helps anyone. DEFINITELY doing the trunk lights, not sure about the footwells as I don't need blinding brightness in the cabin!!

Thanks, looks very similar to the earlier-gen seats. The problem with black carpet and bright white lights is that all the crud gets lit up beautifully! I've obviously upgraded all my lights, but in terms of effort invested vs. results, I do think the biggest bang for your buck is frunk & trunk, followed by puddle lights, and then the foot-wells. That might be different for those that don't have black carpet/mats, but if you do, they just soak up the light. The good thing about that is that even the new bulbs do not look over-the-top bright in the foot-wells.

Regarding the rear footwell lights, I remembered a write-up that mentioned the Tesla part number for the mounting brackets if your car didn't come with the premium lighting package.

Tesla Part Number 1016677-00-A (x2)

From the write-up, it sounds like these were only a few dollars and since the wiring is already there, with the AO LED bulbs, you can now have rear footwell lighting.

The original write-up can be found here - http://www.teslafied.eu/second-row-footwell-lights/#lightbox/1/

2015-02-24-17.42.23-300x300.jpg

3 sets ordered for a total of 12 lights--6 per car. Going to pass on the puddle lamps and rear passenger footwell for now.

...nuts...just realized that I forgot the spudger.

Pete-I ordered the spudger separately. Just bundle together with the lamps to save shipping costs.

Thanks again.

I thought I read somewhere upthread that the glovebox light is also of the same type as these lights? Would one of these work in the glovebox too?

(Granted, I have so much cr*p in my glovebox the light is almost irrelevant but...)

I forgot about that. I ordered two sets, so I'll be willing to sacrifice a light somewhere if I need to in order to improve the glovebox!

- - - Updated - - -

While people are ordering the lights, I highly recommend adding a screen protector to your order (Screen Protectors (Twin pack) for Tesla Model S - Abstract Ocean).

The matte version is amazing. I could never go back to the original reflective finger print filled screen. It's the best $23 upgrade you can do for your Model S. :)

I have Pete's hydrophobic ones and they are fantastic! I bought a two-pack just in case and the first one went perfect. Offered the second one to a friend.

I don't intend to spoil the fun but this is one of the easiest self-mods one can make, and even some of the most inexperienced and ham handed owners could do it.

The footwell lights in the front (driver and passenger) is rely tight and the easiest way to replace it to remove the two screws on the plates and replace it when the plastic plate is off.
It is torq25, takes 5-10 min to remove the plate can take a lot more time to try to remove the led lights.
To remove the led with plastic tools without damaging the leds, my best experience is to use the same tool as removing iPhone screens.

If you are not afraid of damaging them (sice you have new ones from abstract ocean you can use a small screw driver and break it out (it will crack).

sigurdi

3 sets ordered for a total of 12 lights--6 per car. Going to pass on the puddle lamps and rear passenger footwell for now.

...nuts...just realized that I forgot the spudger.

Pete-I ordered the spudger separately. Just bundle together with the lamps to save shipping costs.

Thanks again.

No problem. If the eCommerce platform was a bit more flexible, I'd add a "did you forget to order this" prompt, but I can't figure out how to easily do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding the rear footwell lights, I remembered a write-up that mentioned the Tesla part number for the mounting brackets if your car didn't come with the premium lighting package.

Tesla Part Number 1016677-00-A (x2)

From the write-up, it sounds like these were only a few dollars and since the wiring is already there, with the AO LED bulbs, you can now have rear footwell lighting.

The original write-up can be found here - http://www.teslafied.eu/second-row-footwell-lights/#lightbox/1/

View attachment 103337

Thanks, that's useful. I'll email my local SC to see if I can order some of these to put on the site (no mark-up, just to save having to shop in two places). Looks like thy have potential to be 3D printed too....I don't have the toys for that though.

I have no lights in the plastic trunk trim, just the one dim (worthless) light in the hatch. Has anybody taken the trunk plastic trim off? I am guessing it is the trim that is on the trunk loading lip. I don't want to screw things up, so I could use some advice on what to do! TIA (Already ordered a set!)