Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A cool new tool ... New Tesla Supercharger tool is best way to calculate and visualize cost of using the network

Ben Sullins, Tesla Model S owner and ‘Data Geek’ on Youtube, built a tool just for that and consequently, it’s also a great way to visualize the new cost structure. Here it’s embedded below and accessible on Tableau: Tableau Public

upload_2017-1-18_7-49-51.png

Should be $100 per minute. With a 5 minute grace period. The average owner is high net worth and won't care about 40 cents.

What? $6000 an hour? If you were sick and went to hospital for the night you'd have racked up a charge equal to MORE than the cost of a fully loaded P100! $144k.
I also suspect not all are high net-worth. Many might be middle class - looking at a low maintenance car with free fuel for life (if they have solar / near a supercharger) and a $60-100k saved for a dream car. If people cared so much about their time there wouldn't be the issue (as Elon points out) with people supercharging at superchargers (to save $20 on elec) near their home instead of overnight at home.

Reactions: mmd
Interesing post. I am not familiar with that forum. The thing that does not make sense is that he said the Supercharger is always 50% empty. Therefore, he shouldn't get an idle fees. Regardless, if he is so darn close to a supercharger that he can see his car from work, he should move it immediately when done charging, busy or not. I hope that if he accumulates more fees they do not waive it. Rude.

Interesing post. I am not familiar with that forum. The thing that does not make sense is that he said the Supercharger is always 50% empty. Therefore, he shouldn't get an idle fees. Regardless, if he is so darn close to a supercharger that he can see his car from work, he should move it immediately when done charging, busy or not. I hope that if he accumulates more fees they do not waive it. Rude.
My guess is that it won't be waived next time. And given his stance in the post, I'm guessing there will be a next time.

Well I can certainly see his point. When I bought mine, the rule was "as much as you like, as often as you like." That's what we were all told back then. Sure the situation is a little different now, especially in some areas, but that doesn't change what we were told.
From the image above he apparently is in SLC Utah. I charged there this summer. I did not see another Tesla, except in the showroom.
I am all for the idle fees, for busy chargers. But I'm glad they don't intend to apply them to all the other ones, which is still most of them.

The last time I stopped at the Dedham SC/SC/Store, there were 3 cars plugged in. None were owner cars. That means I plugged into the 4th out of 8, exactly half. I bet Tesla waives their own idle fees. They should be charged to the employees that left them there overnight.

I wonder... every time I charge at home, my Android app says my car is Supercharging, 34A at 240V. I wonder what my idle fees will be.

Reactions: mmd
Sorry, although I agree in principal with not being a jerk and hogging the supercharger, many of us purchased without the slightest idea about supercharging fees, or realizing it can be painfully slow at times. This reminds me of cell phone plans and cable companies, where "free and unlimited" is actually neither.

Building more infrastructure is the more consumer-friendly way to handle this, rather than penalizing early adopters who are taking advantage of a feature (free supercharging) that was heavily marketed to them as a reason to purchase the car. The "free lunch" has to end sometime, but it should be for those going forward after the policy was disclosed, with full disclosure to new customers at the point of sale that they only get 400 kWh and that idling is NOT free. Not retroactive for those unsuspecting consumers.

So, this guy charges almost every day, according to his post. He must live quite a distance from his work. Putting the whole "local" Supercharging arguments aside, what really annoys me is that this person is too selfish or lazy to attend to his car during his charging periods. If you are going to exploit something that is for the good of everyone, the least you could do is to take a brown bag from home and each lunch in your car while you save $7.50 in electricity and then move your car. Or leave for work 40 minutes early and charge before sitting at your desk.

I honestly do not understand this sort of mindset.

I've said this before and I say it again, a system where you charge unlimited penalty charges during annual service visits, with only a 5 minute grace no less on a unpredictable ending time, is just inviting trouble for all involved. It makes it hard to note such charges and their accumulation accurately, which quickly leads to unreasonable situations for all - as in this case.

It is very, very difficult to see how it is in Tesla's long term interests to surprise customers with possible hundreds or thousands of dollars (this case was, what, a month after the charges started - imagine 12 months...) of surprise charges at service visits. Remember, people don't take Teslas to service centers that often... Even if the customer is "guilty", accumulating year(s) worth of payments on the background and then facing the customer with it is not the stuff that makes for a great customer experience. If people become apprehensive about the service center visit, that is not good for anyone.

If the idle charges must be, they really have to invest in a more predictable and charge-as-you-go system. Surprise charges help nobody as they are not even encouraging moving the car...

As for the local vs. long-distance Supercharging, I remain of the opinion that until the "free long-distance" wording change and the notice round to locally charging owners, a reasonable Tesla buyer could well conclude local Supercharging was OK and factor that into their purchase decision. Tesla's own staff was very liberal in touting this advantage and Tesla's guidance and disclaimers were vague at best. Tesla one-sidedly changing that narrative later... well.

Anyway, this is not the last time we hear of large bills appearing on the service invoice.

I've said this before and I say it again, a system where you charge unlimited penalty charges during annual service visits, with only a 5 minute grace no less on a unpredictable ending time, is just inviting trouble for all involved. It makes it hard to note such charges and their accumulation accurately, which quickly leads to unreasonable situations for all - as in this case.

It is very, very difficult to see how it is in Tesla's long term interests to surprise customers with possible hundreds or thousands of dollars (this case was, what, a month after the charges started - imagine 12 months...) of surprise charges at service visits. Remember, people don't take Teslas to service centers that often... Even if the customer is "guilty", accumulating year(s) worth of payments on the background and then facing the customer with it is not the stuff that makes for a great customer experience. If people become apprehensive about the service center visit, that is not good for anyone.

If the idle charges must be, they really have to invest in a more predictable and charge-as-you-go system. Surprise charges help nobody as they are not even encouraging moving the car...

As for the local vs. long-distance Supercharging, I remain of the opinion that until the "free long-distance" wording change and the notice round to locally charging owners, a reasonable Tesla buyer could well conclude local Supercharging was OK and factor that into their purchase decision. Tesla's own staff was very liberal in touting this advantage and Tesla's guidance and disclaimers were vague at best. Tesla one-sidedly changing that narrative later... well.

Anyway, this is not the last time we hear of large bills appearing on the service invoice.
Using this particular example to support your position is extremely weak. If anything, it supports the opposing argument - this user is abusing the system. 5 minute grace, 1 hour grace - he's leaving it there all day. Maybe these charges, actually enforced, will curb his clearly selfish behavior.

They're not surprise charges, at least not for the vast majority of users with a smartphone. We are alerted and I won't be surprised if email updates begin soon. For those who are surprised, it gives the Service Center flexibility to educate and waive. I said this before we even heard this example, because it seemed clear that the Service Center billing was intended specifically for this purpose.

IF the Salt Lake Service Center's face-to-face demonstration to this user that Tesla is indeed counting the minutes his car is connected but not parking causes him to alter his charging/parking habits, then I am quite satisfied that the new policy is having the appropriate effect; I care not whether an additional $800 were or weren't added to the quarter's Cash On Hand.

Now, if on the other hand his terrifically inconsiderate actions make him a cause célebre amongst those who disagree with Tesla's parking fees, then I am unhappy indeed.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Under what situation do you envision Tesla can require that?

After few idle charges accumulate on your account, they can/should stop you from further charging until you settle the bill, give them approval for pay-as-you-go. Same mechanism as new cars with limited free range. Same for connectivity after first 4(7?) years.

I wouldn't be surprised if something along this line starts in 6-12 months, selectively, in busy areas.

Tesla is going to be service company anyhow, right :)