Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jeez guys. Do you realize how this thread makes us look to any non Tesla owner who happens to read it? Where I live, you stay with your car at a dc charger ( we have two total) . If you must leave, you leave a note with your phone number and guessimate as to return. Just a matter of courtesy. Tesla owners here are perceived by some as rich Haoles. Not an image you want to encourage.

Staying with the car during Supercharging is the only way to reliably avoid hogging a charger and idle charges. That is true.

Tesla used to make it sound like Supercharging can be used to have a break elsewhere, but that is no longer viable in all Superchagers if you want to avoid hogging the charger and the idle fees.

My recommendation is to just stay with the car and enjoy the wonder of EV charging convenience... ;)

Why? If your car is sitting at a stall when others could have their experience improved if it wasn't, you should be charged. BerTX should be charged. His car was in a stall idle when the majority of stalls were occupied.

Thank you kindly.

I don't know why. That's just how Tesla wrote the policy.
Supercharger Idle Fee

I agree he should be charged. He got a notification that charging was almost complete even before his food arrived, so he knew it would be quite a while before he would be finished eating and be back at the car. He should have moved the car.

I should absolutely be charged. I didn't think there was a problem since the SC was empty when I arrived, and I have never seen another car there. I had never gotten the "Please move your car" notification before. If I was whining about anything, it was that there was no communication about the notification that I can recall. I couldn't believe there were other cars there, so I thought that Tesla was now just sending that message instead of a simple "Charging complete" notification.

But complaining about a lack of communication from Tesla is just silliness.

I should absolutely be charged. I didn't think there was a problem since the SC was empty when I arrived, and I have never seen another car there. I had never gotten the "Please move your car" notification before. If I was whining about anything, it was that there was no communication about the notification that I can recall. I couldn't believe there were other cars there, so I thought that Tesla was now just sending that message instead of a simple "Charging complete" notification.

But complaining about a lack of communication from Tesla is just silliness.
So, you're complaining about the message to move your car as a lack of communication?

So, you're complaining about the message to move your car as a lack of communication?

I am actually not sure he is complaining at all, but instead reporting his experience and his own misunderstanding.

The good info there is that apparently the app notifications will include a move the car indication is the Supercharger is over half full and idle charges are imminent.

Now make that an SMS (in addition to the app), give 15 minutes of grace (instead of 5) and charge any idles real-time on credit card (instead of annual accumulation at service center) and this is much better.

Jeez guys. Do you realize how this thread makes us look to any non Tesla owner who happens to read it? Where I live, you stay with your car at a dc charger ( we have two total) . If you must leave, you leave a note with your phone number and guessimate as to return. Just a matter of courtesy. Tesla owners here are perceived by some as rich Haoles. Not an image you want to encourage.
Somebody is Kona Coffee bitter because they have zero Superchargers there. :p

Give no minutes of grace, but make sure the 'you're almost done charging' message comes 15 minutes before charging is complete. You get 15 minutes warning, no one has to wait for a stall that isn't otherwise charging to be available.

Thank you kindly.

I'm pro 0 grace if the end time is predictable. If it isn't and you rely only on a reminder notification, I find that iffy. The 15 min grace would go some way toward helping with unpredictability, even if a notification does not reach you.

That said, I didn't mean to argue your point, just add a little to my own. I would in any case welcome better notifications through multiple mediums for things like you say.

That is an unhelpful as it is untrue.
I agree @AnxietyRanger. At the same time, I am not sure why you keep posting the same complaint over and over again. There are so many people here that are making comments one way or the other, and all we keep hearing is that: the grace period is too short given the unpredictability of charging, that this will turn off people from adopting EVs, etc. Do you really think that you have not made your points perfectly clear by this point? No, really, I am being serious. I have given you significant credit for having some very valid concerns, as have others, but can you please contribute something different to this discussion now? Either that, or let's all just move on. The only reason why I am still subscribed to this thread is to see if there is anything new and interesting added. That has not been the case.

I agree @AnxietyRanger. At the same time, I am not sure why you keep posting the same complaint over and over again. There are so many people here that are making comments one way or the other, and all we keep hearing is that: the grace period is too short given the unpredictability of charging, that this will turn off people from adopting EVs, etc. Do you really think that you have not made your points perfectly clear by this point? No, really, I am being serious. I have given you significant credit for having some very valid concerns, as have others, but can you please contribute something different to this discussion now? Either that, or let's all just move on. The only reason why I am still subscribed to this thread is to see if there is anything new and interesting added. That has not been the case.

I am not in disagreement with your message at all. I guess the same arguments often return when new people join the thread and post misunderstandings clearly begging to be corrected. :) I have absolutely no need to re-make my points to you, for example.

It is a never-ending viscious circle that is better self-curated, though, I agree. I would say the last few pages have seen a moving on of sorts from everyone, myself included. I agree with keeping that up until some new info arrives.

Thanks for the gentle reminder. :)

What about people that don't have smartphones?

What about them? And just so you don't think I'm angry or something, I don't have a smartphone and I'll be charging my Model 3 at a Super Charger now and again.

I like to think of myself as at least somewhat intelligent for my species and my parents definitely taught me to be courteous, thusly I do believe I got this. I will stay at my car and chit chat with others/sunbathe/listen to a 'Learn To Speak Mandarin' recording/read a book on how to clean wind instruments/clean out my car/whatever, or I'll learn how long it approximately takes to get the amount of charge I want/need and plan my away-from-car excursion accordingly. And if I happen to guestimate wrong, I'll pay the idle fee, make adjustments for future guestimates so as to avoid the embarrassment of having to apologize profusely to anyone I may have been blocking from charging.

What about them? And just so you don't think I'm angry or something, I don't have a smartphone and I'll be charging my Model 3 at a Super Charger now and again.

I like to think of myself as at least somewhat intelligent for my species and my parents definitely taught me to be courteous, thusly I do believe I got this. I will stay at my car and chit chat with others/sunbathe/listen to a 'Learn To Speak Mandarin' recording/read a book on how to clean wind instruments/clean out my car/whatever, or I'll learn how long it approximately takes to get the amount of charge I want/need and plan my away-from-car excursion accordingly. And if I happen to guestimate wrong, I'll pay the idle fee, make adjustments for future guestimates so as to avoid the embarrassment of having to apologize profusely to anyone I may have been blocking from charging.
+1

Makes sense.

I'm pro 0 grace if the end time is predictable. If it isn't and you rely only on a reminder notification, I find that iffy. The 15 min grace would go some way toward helping with unpredictability, even if a notification does not reach you.

That said, I didn't mean to argue your point, just add a little to my own. I would in any case welcome better notifications through multiple mediums for things like you say.
I find the "Charging is almost complete" message gives me at least 15 minutes. If I've set the charge to 100% then I have 30+ minutes. This is plenty of time for me (and should be for anyone else). I've found the messages are very reliable.

Reactions: KJD
I'm not sure if it was mentioned a few pages back and I missed it, but this is my limited experience with idle fees and nearly full superchargers:

My MX was finally ready for me to pick up, so the work order had been closed allowing the app on my phone to function. The show room hooked my car up to one of their 8 superchargers and left it. I received the "nearly charged" message, then I received the "charging complete message" then 5 minutes later and every five minutes for the next hour I received a message basically stating "your charging has been completed, move your car". Unfortunately I don't recall word for word what it said. The next day as I was driving down to the show room, they topped my car up to 100% knowing I had a long drive home. About 20 minutes before I got there charging completed and I again started getting the "move your car" messages every 5 minutes. When I arrived 5 of the 8 stalls were full. I never did get a message about idle fees being charged.

I'm also confused about the "$.40 fee" on the SC locations in the onboard Nav. Montana is listed as having that fee, yet in the last month I have been charging at various stations, I have only seen 1 other car twice. The other couple dozen times I have been alone...

I'm not sure if it was mentioned a few pages back and I missed it, but this is my limited experience with idle fees and nearly full superchargers:

My MX was finally ready for me to pick up, so the work order had been closed allowing the app on my phone to function. The show room hooked my car up to one of their 8 superchargers and left it. I received the "nearly charged" message, then I received the "charging complete message" then 5 minutes later and every five minutes for the next hour I received a message basically stating "your charging has been completed, move your car". Unfortunately I don't recall word for word what it said. The next day as I was driving down to the show room, they topped my car up to 100% knowing I had a long drive home. About 20 minutes before I got there charging completed and I again started getting the "move your car" messages every 5 minutes. When I arrived 5 of the 8 stalls were full. I never did get a message about idle fees being charged.

It should be pretty easy to whitelist vehicles that have been in for service at the same location in the past N hours. I'm not sure if Tesla does that automatically yet. But even if they don't, you shouldn't have much trouble convincing your service rep to waive the fee.

Pre-fee, I've also had those "move your car" messages when mine is in for service. They're pretty annoying. I'd rather not turn off charging notifications, but that's the only way to get rid of them. Sometimes I'll send a screenshot to the service rep, just to spread the annoyance around. Eventually maybe that'll encourage someone to fix it. Maybe.

I'm also confused about the "$.40 fee" on the SC locations in the onboard Nav. Montana is listed as having that fee, yet in the last month I have been charging at various stations, I have only seen 1 other car twice. The other couple dozen times I have been alone...

The fee displayed in our cars doesn't update in real-time, or at least not yet. But Tesla has real-time data on supercharger utilization. If and when a location is in heavy use, that's when Tesla says they'll levy the idle fee. Does that make sense?

Reactions: Cyclone