Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In the face of a recession, should I buy a Y now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it's the 12k FSD and the 4.5% current interest rate. I'll make extra payments after emergency savings are attained and will re-finance as soon as interest rates drop.

Why am I so passionate for FSD you may ask? One word: 'Timecop'
Yes, 4.5% rates suck.
I have FSD (Beta) on my 19 M3. I paid $6k back then, and it is fun now ... sometimes ... when I have time for it. At $12k - it just doesn't make sense to me. My advise, skip it, you can always subscribe for FSD for a month ($199) when you want/need it. As of now, 12k = 5 years of continuous subscription. Please understand that for $12k you buy a privilege to test FSD for Tesla, you are not buying a [more or less] finish product.

Reactions: Macgyverfever
Yes, 4.5% rates suck.
I have FSD (Beta) on my 19 M3. I paid $6k back then, and it is fun now ... sometimes ... when I have time for it. At $12k - it just doesn't make sense to me. My advise, skip it, you can always subscribe for FSD for a month ($199) when you want/need it. As of now, 12k = 5 years of continuous subscription. Please understand that for $12k you buy a privilege to test FSD for Tesla, you are not buying a [more or less] finish product.
Yea its a tough pill to swallow, but I plan on driving this car for 1,000,000 miles well into my golden years in the event I am unable to drive myself (or at least do so while pissing in a diaper - here's to Dave Ramsay's advice btw lol)

FYI my FSD died with the car when it was totaled. Just something to consider before you drop $12k on it rather than pay for it month to month. Not saying accidents are likely but they do happen and may not be in any way your fault.

Everyone’s opinion on FSD is different but I honestly never used it. Summon was fun a few times to show friends but I only trusted it as far as I could see it. Auto park sucks honestly my grandma could park better in less time. NoA was handy on long trips but I bought the car to drive it not sit there and tap the wheel every 30 seconds. It came with the car used so it was a nice perk but I did not order it on my new one for what it’s worth.

Last edited:
Decided the Model Y is not worth the extra outlay with the recession and prices going up compared to the Model 3 RWD.
A common assumption running through this thread is that we currently are in a recession. I just want to point out that there has been no official designation yet (and yes, there is a committee of economists that decides such things). Also, though GDP has contracted recently, the strong labor market runs counter to the idea that we are in one. It is certainly possible we are headed for one, or even possible that one has even started (economists usually make this determination months after the fact). But it isn’t a given that we are presently in one.

Yea its a tough pill to swallow, but I plan on driving this car for 1,000,000 miles well into my golden years in the event I am unable to drive myself (or at least do so while pissing in a diaper - here's to Dave Ramsay's advice btw lol)
That is exactly why I got FSD. So I can stay in my house and get to the doctor's or wherever. Of course the added bonus is the kids can't find any keys to take away 😄 That said, I just don't believe at this point that it is going to happen. I'll be dead before it reaches that point. But hey, you're probably younger and maybe will make it<g>

Reactions: Macgyverfever
A common assumption running through this thread is that we currently are in a recession.
He is in Europe. They are in a perpetual recession. Also, I believe it is the MYP only available for order there at the moment, right?
Added: "Decided the Bentley Flying Spur is not worth the extra outlay with the recession and prices going up compared to the Honda Civic". Translation: "I'm poor. 😭"

• Funny
Reactions: Suns_PSD
He is in Europe. They are in a perpetual recession. Also, I believe it is the MYP only available for order there at the moment, right?
Added: "Decided the Bentley Flying Spur is not worth the extra outlay with the recession and prices going up compared to the Honda Civic". Translation: "I'm poor. 😭"
Good point, I was focused on the US, though I couldn’t comment on whether the UK is or is not officially in a recession. The OP is in the US though, and the thread title implies that a recession is already here. As do several other posts in this thread. It may be, I’m not denying that. However, there has been no official assessment. Plus, this morning’s jobs report shows the US added over 500K jobs this month and unemployment stands at 3.5%. Those are strong numbers, and don’t suggest a recession is underway.

Good point, I was focused on the US, though I couldn’t comment on whether the UK is or is not officially in a recession. The OP is in the US though, and the thread title implies that a recession is already here. As do several other posts in this thread. It may be, I’m not denying that. However, there has been no official assessment. Plus, this morning’s jobs report shows the US added over 500K jobs this month and unemployment stands at 3.5%. Those are strong numbers, and don’t suggest a recession is underway.
I believe I have enough time with this company to get both the Y and to save a 6 to 9 month nest egg before anything with the economy before the worst could happen. Others made good points about the company being able to drop my wife and I whenever they want and that they owe us nothing. I test-drove the bolt, but that MY hatchback has it sold for me. The only thing that would stop me from buying it is concerns of being underwater should I have to sell in the event of a life situation (hospital, lose job, etc), but I just don't see it. I feel cautiously confident enough now to purchase. Got approved today @ 4.5% 72 mo $1342 which I will eventually refi asap.

Going to add gap insurance for FSD in the event I crash(weird its only $75 more a month to insure the entire car with gap?). *Knock on wood* I hope I don't wreck, but at least my family will be safer in it than not...

And yes my wife and I are in U.S.

Reactions: pepperoni
Whether this administration admits we are in recession or not, I say we are in recession when my 401k ROI is negative, and my 401K ROI is NEGATIVE F***!!!😡
Then you are confused about the difference between a bear market and a recession. We are certainly in a bear market. Sometimes they are correlated, but the stock market is not the economy.

As has been pointed out, GDP has declined for two consecutive quarters which historically has defined a recession. The pain caused by a recession is the unemployment that accompanies it. The Fed will continue to increase interest rates until they get their deflation and then worry about the unemployment rate later.

Reactions: GadgetGary
Going to add gap insurance for FSD in the event I crash(weird its only $75 more a month to insure the entire car with gap?). *Knock on wood* I hope I don't wreck, but at least my family will be safer in it than not...
That doesn't sound particularly cheap. My entire insurance (not counting the umbrella liability) is $1 more (actually pay 912 for the entire year).

Sorry to say but $4000 between you and your wife a month AFTER expenses should be self explanatory that you can not afford this car. Assuming you're going to be making a $1300/month payment I am guessing you don't plan on putting anything down. That would only give you $3000 a month left over with two kids is risky especially with inflation/recession/CPI increases etc... I would wait till A) You make more money B) Have more savings C) Save enough for a down payment that would bring your payment down D) Wait for inflation and/or recession to pass which should bring the price of the car down. Short answer, I would not purchase a $65000+ car in your shoes. Add in insurance (in my case its $136/month) for a MYP. Not giving you financial advice just telling you what others may not.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: alexgr
As has been pointed out, GDP has declined for two consecutive quarters which historically has defined a recession. The pain caused by a recession is the unemployment that accompanies it. The Fed will continue to increase interest rates until they get their deflation and then worry about the unemployment rate later.
What unemployment problem? The US unemployment rate is at a historic low of 3.5% and just added 500K jobs last month. Not trying to start a debate here, just trying to understand the argument you are making.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Not sure if this was mentioned, but you could potentially keep your current car, buy the MY and immediately sell it for a profit. If you preordered this car a while ago, you could probably make some decent money flipping it. I would never flip a car for profits though....

yes I would 😄

What unemployment problem? The US unemployment rate is at a historic low of 3.5% and just added 500K jobs last month. Not trying to start a debate here, just trying to understand the argument you are making.
I did not mean to alarm you.

It is true that unemployment rate has not risen so far, and it is true that there are many circumstances at play here.

My point is the goal of the Fed is to control inflation and they will continue to increase interest rates until they are satisfied that it is on plan. Much of what causes inflation is too much money and too few goods and unfortunately employment is the vehicle which puts said cash into people's pockets and low interest rates is part of what is necessary to keep people employed.

Being unemployed and the fear of being unemployed will reduce expenditures and prices will decline (deflation).

The Fed won't stop raising interest rates until they have inflation on plan, and historically this nearly always results in recession which is frequently accompanied by deflation.

My personal opinion is it will be a mild 1980's type recession, but there will be some scary moments.

Reactions: pepperoni
People have been taking themselves out of the labor market for years now. Unemployed does not count "disabled" people with some lower back pain who aren't working and aren't looking for work and make enough on SSI etc. to eek by. That's millions of people who in fact are unemployed (by common usage of the word) but are not being counted as unemployed (by the government's self-serving usage of the word.) And no, we don't need an official government committee to decide we are in a recession - it's like asking the police to police themselves. If most economists think we're in a recession using the conventional definition, that's good enough for me.

Feel free to fire back if you want - I'm not trying to get political on a car forum so I'll leave it at that.