Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Energy use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Y for only several months, but I noticed about a week ago that it seems to be suddenly using more power. Comparing the miles added via odometer to the reduction In miles in range, there’s a big disparity. In one recent period I put 92 miles on the odometer but had a range reduction of 142 miles. Had a similar tally in another comparison. I don’t drive it hard, and I’m not letting it sit with the AC running for long periods. I’m wondering if one the new software upgrades did something. I’m going to take it to a service center, but just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

Perhaps one of these other threads on the topic of range might interest you (definitely not all inclusive). These were found by searching this subforum for "range". There are likely dozens more as well:

Like I said, dozens more than this as well. Perhaps one of those might work, rather than another new thread?

Are you losing any energy to "phantom drain" of your Sentry system? If you leave the Sentry on for long periods, the battery drain can be unexpected for new owners.......Before I added my cottage to my "favourites" locations and set Sentry to not activate when at "favourites", I was losing a lot of power while parked at the cottage on the weekend.

I’ve had my Y for only several months, but I noticed about a week ago that it seems to be suddenly using more power. Comparing the miles added via odometer to the reduction In miles in range, there’s a big disparity. In one recent period I put 92 miles on the odometer but had a range reduction of 142 miles. Had a similar tally in another comparison. I don’t drive it hard, and I’m not letting it sit with the AC running for long periods. I’m wondering if one the new software upgrades did something. I’m going to take it to a service center, but just wondering if anyone else noticed this.
Short distance trips use more of the battery as the heat pump must work hard for the first few miles to warm or cool off the passenger cabin. Consider adding ceramic tint to the all of the glass to help reduce the heat load.

If you park in the sun with Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) set to ON (with AC) this can use quite a bit of the battery over the day. i.e. ~10%. Less than half as much if you set COP to ON with fan only mode (No AC.)

Sentry Mode will cause the Tesla Model Y to remain awake when parked. This will use 6 to 7% of the battery over 24 hours.