Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update last night around 10pm. Already had been drinking so couldn't test it out until today. Was super excited but now just more dispointment. "Camera calibrating" issue. I drove about 20 miles, no changes. I wonder if this calibration is specific to my cars camera or if that means fleet learning and calibrating off of that. Anyone of any idea of how long we have to drive to for this to start working?

Got the update last night around 10pm. Already had been drinking so couldn't test it out until today. Was super excited but now just more dispointment. "Camera calibrating" issue. I drove about 20 miles, no changes. I wonder if this calibration is specific to my cars camera or if that means fleet learning and calibrating off of that. Anyone of any idea of how long we have to drive to for this to start working?

No one knows, so stop yakking and start driving some more!!! :)

I think this is a terminology thing. I believe that what a Tesla calls the Enhanced Autopilot (or EAP) is what we call AP2.0 (meaning the post-September 2016 cars that ship with 8 cameras. Ther is no "regular autopilot" for cars with the upgraded (8 camera) hardware.

Now on the cars with the upgraded hardware, there are three options:

- no autopilot - the car has the hardware but you didn't pay for autopilot so you have nothin active
- enhanced autopilot (EAP) - the car has the hardware and you either paid for EAP when you ordered or upgraded and paid for it after delivery at a higher price. This is the functionality that was expected to be released (at least in part) by Dec 2016 with upgrades pushed out in the future.
- full self driving (FSD) - this is a software option you can order with the car or pay a higher amount to add to the car later. You cannot get FSD unless you also have EAP. FSD is supposed to be level-5 autonomous driving which Tesla says is expcted by the end of 2017 subject to legal and regulatory approval which many people think may not ever happen given the current hardware (lack of additional radars, lack of lidar, etc.).

I also believe that what Tesla has said is that they believe the state of EAP software will be on par with AP1.0 software (I guess you could call AP1.0 "regular autopilot") in early 2017 and then exceed AP1.0 capability in future updates because it has more/better sensors and a better computer.

I agree, there is a terminology challenge here... For what it's worth, here's my breakdown (it's a little different from yours, though not materially :)).
  • AP1 (Autopilot Hardware v1): This was the hardware AND software license to use it for the old cars.
  • AP2 (Autopilot Hardware v2): This is the new hardware including the 8 cameras... but does not specifically include any new features other than a few safety ones.
  • APCF (AutoPilot Convenience Features): This is the OLD autopilot license that was in place for AP1 cars. Some owners who were caught in the upgrade have this license, with AP2 hardware. It does not include some of the extras in EAP. (there is a lot of controversy on this, as well as what exactly is and is not included, or if Tesla will get rid of it eventually and upgrade everyone to EAP, but for now, it's still there.
  • EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot): This is the new license for autopilot that is what they sell today.
  • FSDC (Full self driving capability): this is the license that will supposedly allow you to tell the car to go pick up your kids at school without you, someday.
So. new cars (with AP2) actually have 4 options;
  • Hardware, no license: (hardware is active for tesla monitoring and safety features, but no driving assistance)
  • APCF (works at the same level as AP1 cars, on AP2 hardware) <= This is what was expected by the end of the year
  • EAP (adds better autopilot, auto-lane change, auto-exit, better summons, promised as rolling out over the next few months)
  • FSDC (adds "everything" else, but who knows when this will actually happen. a DEMO was promised by the end of 2017, not delivery of the features)

I think the above comment should be higher, just paraphrasing the system requires 4 - 5 hours of driving time to calibrate. Once complete, after the next "Park" the system will notify that the system is ready to use.

Not sure why they wouldn't put this in the notes...

Reactions: u00mem9
@Dstrohl - I generally agree with you except APCF because I know of no way to buy that. As I understand it -- hardware is hardware -- you either have (1) nothing, (2) AP1 hardware (all post April 2015? cars) or (3) AP2 Hardware (all post September 2016 cars). With respect to AP2 Hardware cars, your choices have always been (a) nothing -- no boxes checked, you paid nothing for EAP or FSD, (b) EAP or (3) EAP plus FSD (with no one knowing when FSD will be approved/released).

How would you consider someone buying APCF? Presumably this is an AP2 Hardware car. Are you thinking that if they did NOT buy EAP, they still get something analogous to AP1? I'm not challenging you here, just trying to understand your logic.

In my construct, I consider EAP to be any software version for the AP2 hardware cars, fully knowing that it started out with nothing, is now growing to more features, will then equal AP1 software and then eventually exceed AP1 capability. I'm thinking that in your construct you are considering different iterations of what I call EAP software to be two different things but do not want to put words in your mouth. I don't remember what the order form looked like last October. Was it possible to order a AP2 Hardware Car with autopilot features without ordering EAP?

@Dstrohl - I generally agree with you except APCF because I know of no way to buy that. As I understand it -- hardware is hardware -- you either have (1) nothing, (2) AP1 hardware (all post April 2015? cars) or (3) AP2 Hardware (all post September 2016 cars). With respect to AP2 Hardware cars, your choices have always been (a) nothing -- no boxes checked, you paid nothing for EAP or FSD, (b) EAP or (3) EAP plus FSD (with no one knowing when FSD will be approved/released).

How would you consider someone buying APCF? Presumably this is an AP2 Hardware car. Are you thinking that if they did NOT buy EAP, they still get something analogous to AP1? I'm not challenging you here, just trying to understand your logic.

In my construct, I consider EAP to be any software version for the AP2 hardware cars, fully knowing that it started out with nothing, is now growing to more features, will then equal AP1 software and then eventually exceed AP1 capability. I'm thinking that in your construct you are considering different iterations of what I call EAP software to be two different things but do not want to put words in your mouth. I don't remember what the order form looked like last October. Was it possible to order a AP2 Hardware Car with autopilot features without ordering EAP?

There exists a small number of people that ordered AP with AP1.0 hardware. Before their cars were delivered, AP2.0 came out that includes EAP. Those folks were offered an opportunity to upgrade to EAP for some amount. The ones that did not pay this additional fee are in some sort of limbo state that isn't clear.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
good point. I believe (but am not sure because I wasn't one of those people) that they were given the option of paying a little more money ($500?) to get EAP or not. I believe if they didn't pay for EAP, the implication was that they would have nothing WRT Autopilot and they were not given the option of not paying and getting a refund for the AP1 software they might have ordered with their car. Would be interesting to hear about one of these "transition" people to see what the exact nature of the offer from Tesla was once AP2 was announced following their order. I don't believe getting some sort of AP capability less than EAP but greater than nothing was ever an option for those people but have no first (or second) hand knowledge.

good point. I believe (but am not sure because I wasn't one of those people) that they were given the option of paying a little more money ($500?) to get EAP or not.
We had to pay the full difference in price. In my car, Autopilot was originally $2500 so I had to pay an additional $2500 to upgrade to Enhanced Autopilot. Others who had locked in an order when Autopilot cost $3000 had to pay an additional $2000. In both cases, Enhanced Autopilot ended up costing $5000.

The $500 change fee was not charged.

If I'd stayed at the $2500 Autopilot then I would've eventually received some sort of Autopilot equivalent to AP1 but AP2 hardware would be used.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
One thing I can't figure out is why my tesla app doesn't tell me when there is an update waiting, I have that notification enabled on all three devices but I never get one. Have to go to the car to see / check.

My 2015 S85D never got any update notifications on my iPhone or iPad for over a year. To try and resolve a car charging issue, the technician did a Factory Reset. The Factory Reset does the following:

It erases all personal data (saved addresses, music favorites, etc.) and restore all customized settings to their factory defaults.

One of the things the manual or technician does not tell you is that if you have not reset one of your trip meters so you can keep your total KWH average since you have owned your car, this will be reset to zero also.

After doing the Factory Reset, my car started receiving software update notifications on my iPhone/iPad. It may not work for you but it did for me.

Last edited:
@MorrisonHiker -- thanks for the explanation.

@Dstrohl -- I stand corrected...we now have 4 different possibilities of AP software on HW2 version cars -- (1) nothing, (2) what you called APCF (for the transition people who didn't pay any more), (3) EAP and (4) FSD (whatever that ends up being).

I learned my thing for today...my life is complete!

WOW! you get a thing a DAY! I usually only get one new thing per month! I have to be really careful about learning new things not to use up all years worth of new stuff :)

• Funny
Reactions: NOLA_Mike and bmah
What recourse do I have if parity or fsd is not achieved?
You can complain on this forum, Tesla forum, or in other places. You could even spent thousands of dollars and months or years of time on lawyers. You can let it eat you up, OR, you could just forget about it, enjoy you P100D because it is an awesome car without AP, and if and when new features come, enjoy them, just don't expect or look forward to them ahead of time because they never come on time, sometimes never come at all, sometimes they works great and other times underwhelm. So for most enjoyment in life, I recommend the latter approach. That's why my latest purchase didn't even include EAP+FSD - if Tesla makes it work, I will buy it then. So far my only expectations are that the car works well with the current set of features, that Tesla gets auto-wipers working soon, and that they fix the firmware in the left mirror (none of the memory features work, user profile or reverse gear based, nor does it unfold properly -takes 2-4 tries). IMO those are reasonable expectations.