Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they ever said that. They said that they expected it to "complete validation and be rolled out" in December 2016.

The blog post says: "Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features."

So they are saying that the features may not all come out at the same time. Again, they never made any promise of when it would reach or surpass the AP1 functionality level.
You are absolutely correct. Tesla has learned from their past and they are commiting to absolutlely nothing by any specific date. 20 years from now, AP2 cars ould be doing nothing more than what they do today, and Tesla would still be covered based on all the fine print today.

You can complain on this forum, Tesla forum, or in other places. You could even spent thousands of dollars and months or years of time on lawyers. You can let it eat you up, OR, you could just forget about it, enjoy you P100D because it is an awesome car without AP, and if and when new features come, enjoy them, just don't expect or look forward to them ahead of time because they never come on time, sometimes never come at all, sometimes they works great and other times underwhelm. So for most enjoyment in life, I recommend the latter approach. That's why my latest purchase didn't even include EAP+FSD - if Tesla makes it work, I will buy it then. So far my only expectations are that the car works well with the current set of features, that Tesla gets auto-wipers working soon, and that they fix the firmware in the left mirror (none of the memory features work, user profile or reverse gear based, nor does it unfold properly -takes 2-4 tries). IMO those are reasonable expectations.

Glass half full approach, only way to be. I ordered EAP & FAD and I'm just not worried about it. It'll come, just relax and enjoy the car, they're fantastic!

^^^ good post @whitex, an existing Tesla owner who knows the Tesla game and has sensibly chosen not to purchase options that were not working at the time of order.

Unfortunately I suspect you are in the minority.

For many owners who will have read the availability statements on the website and parted with good money based on such information, and of course the many for whom this will be their first Tesla (experience) I rather suspect the "if I paid for it I expect Tesla to deliver it" will trump (can I use this word on the forum?) other sentiments.

The other problem is that Tesla charges you a $2K (25%) premium to add EAP and FSD in the future, so they are the ones motivating people to be annoyed.

If they had been smart and said that if you had a car delivered before EAP or FSD was working, you could upgrade within a month of it working without a $1K "upgrade" fee then this would be moot.

You are absolutely correct. Tesla has learned from their past and they are commiting to absolutlely nothing by any specific date. 20 years from now, AP2 cars ould be doing nothing more than what they do today, and Tesla would still be covered based on all the fine print today.

Curious why you went from a P85D down to 60D... think I know the answer but interested to hear your reasoning.

The other problem is that Tesla charges you a $2K (25%) premium to add EAP and FSD in the future, so they are the ones motivating people to be annoyed.

If they had been smart and said that if you had a car delivered before EAP or FSD was working, you could upgrade within a month of it working without a $1K "upgrade" fee then this would be moot.

It's an attempt to raise capital

Reactions: yak-55 and mmd
I took delivery of my Model S P100D on 12.21. I live in Los Angeles. I received the update last night. After I downloaded it this afternoon, I excitedly got in the car to check out my new features...only to see the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable; If issue persists, contact Tesla service". I haven't seen any messages about cameras calibrating.

Attachments

• Tesla.JPG
    Tesla.JPG
    407.3 KB · Views: 93
I took delivery of my Model S P100D on 12.21. I live in Los Angeles. I received the update last night. After I downloaded it this afternoon, I excitedly got in the car to check out my new features...only to see the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable; If issue persists, contact Tesla service". I haven't seen any messages about cameras calibrating.

Drive 100 miles, power off the car and turn it back on. You might not need 100 miles but that's what activated it for me.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888 and GSP
Enhanced Autopilot 2 may never happen before Full Self Driving is ready!

I made that thread and was laughed at. But guess who was right?
Your looking at atleast 9 months before there's an update that's close to feature complete as what's been promised.

What makes you think FSD will be available when AP2 is fully available? All we're seeing is missed AP2 dates. I don't think Tesla have learnt anything, their comment was "expecting" "valudation" "legislative approval" - that doesn't say to me it's got anything to do with "debugging" "collecting millions of miles of data"

I also can't see that any cars are collecting useful data at the moment until the cameras have calibrated which requires the update. Cars are just watching the world go by...

Curious why you went from a P85D down to 60D... think I know the answer but interested to hear your reasoning.
I still have the P85D. 60D is a second car. It will be my first Tesla to fully live up to or exceed its advertised features. It has more than 60KWhr battery capacity (vs. my first and second which has less than advertised, for example my P85D only has 81KWhr battery, with only 77KWh usable). It also has the advertised horsepower and I'm not worried about it being limited or not achievable. I hope Tesla can get auto wipers working soon, and fix my darn mirror, but as said before I see those as reasonable expectations. I made peace with the fact that my P85D's will never meet me at the curb (as originally advertised for AP1), it will never have proper blind spot detection, or ever produce 691 hp that I was told by the sales guy was coming with the "passing speeds over-the-air update" promised in design studio (he told me that when I pointed out during a test drive that the max KW reading did not come close to 691hp). Life is too short to hold grudges, but I do learn and the best deal for me on a Tesla was a pre-price-increase 60D without EAP or FSD.

Life is too short to hold grudges, but I do learn and the best deal for me on a Tesla was a pre-price-increase 60D without EAP or FSD.

It is not really a good thing if repeat customers "do learn" about Tesla and then as a result go from buying maxed out Performance models to conservatively specced low-end models as a result...

I wish they'd go back to underpromising and overdelivering.

My S90D was delivered in mid Dec 2016. My formal test drive was in December 2015. I bought a car with, I thought, AP hardware which was functioning better than the car I drove as a test drive. No one told me the hardware was not functional. I am a litigation attorney but do not do class actions. I am considering seeking counsel to file a class action. I have not read the fine print of my lease, but I doubt that there was a special lease which states that hardware may or may not function as it was advertised. I was trying to be patient. But no upgrade on 1/1/17 and the paultry upgrade to less than promised - less than AP1 is appalling. Anyone think I am wrong or missing something here? Mon is a legal holiday. A phone call will be made on Tuesday.

So, will you be "filing a class action suit" for every software update that doesn't come out precisely on the day you think it should or just this one? If so, you should probably put the guy on retainer.

Please enlighten us (non lawyer folks) as to exactly what you hope to gain by filing a class action suit. Do you expect Tesla to immediately "snap to" and send us all software that isn't ready for release? Perhaps the class action attorneys can make a lot of good coin and the rest of us can get a coffee mug as compensation?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

I picked up my 90D on 12/28 and I could not agree more. What annoys me the most is that I laid out $8000 for features that may or may not get fully realized. If the features were not available at purchase they should have offered everyone an option to enable them at a later time without the additional $2000 in fee's.

Please enlighten us (non lawyer folks) as to exactly what you hope to gain by filing a class action suit. Do you expect Tesla to immediately "snap to" and send us all software that isn't ready for release? Perhaps the class action attorneys can make a lot of good coin and the rest of us can get a coffee mug as compensation?

I think they rightly expect to get compensation.

I also suspect Tesla sees that coming and that is why it is $5k + $3k for FSD instead of 3k + 5k ...when FSD never meets claims, they only owe $3k back.

Last edited:
Reactions: yak-55 and oktane