Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial SR Model Production to ONLY include base interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they encouraged me to select LR at this time and then put my configuration on hold when I get my invite because I would then jump to the top of the list when the SR is available.
This is the only part of what they told you that I have a problem with. I assume they mean select LR in the delivery estimator, but that should have nothing to do with when you get asked to configure. There are a number of owners that had SR selected that have been invited, so it sounds like that is not a factor.

I know I've seen posts from people that said they've had SR and/or AWD selected and they've been invited to configure, they just deferred until what they want is available. Either way though, it doesn't really matter. If you think it'll help you get asked to configure sooner then make that your selection.

Agree that the statement is fishy. Being asked to configure and then deferring shouldn't put you ahead of people who have had SR/AWD selected the whole time, but who might otherwise be ahead of you.

I'm a CA owner who waited in line and who has had SR selected since the beginning. I still haven't gotten an invite, while we've seen quite a few online/evening reservers get an invite. At this point, I'm hoping that my SR selection explains why I haven't gotten an invite and that I will still have line priority over the online reservations when SR does become available.

Update: I went ahead and changed my preference. Hopefully that doesn't cause me to lose my place in the SR line where maybe I was near the front before and now be behind everyone who has already deferred..... it just doesn't feel great to have spent four hours waiting in line to make the reservation and then see invites going out to online reservers first. :(

Last edited:
Agree that the statement is fishy. Being asked to configure and then deferring shouldn't put you ahead of people who have had SR/AWD selected the whole time, but who might otherwise be ahead of you.
The way I interpreted what I was told is that if you select first production but really want SR and defer, you will then jump to the head of the line of the category you are in (employee, owner, non-owner) when you do configure your SR.

I'm a CA owner who waited in line and who has had SR selected since the beginning. I still haven't gotten an invite, while we've seen quite a few online/evening reservers get an invite. At this point, I'm hoping that my SR selection explains why I haven't gotten an invite and that I will still have line priority over the online reservations when SR does become available.

Update: I went ahead and changed my preference. Hopefully that doesn't cause me to lose my place in the SR line where maybe I was near the front before and now be behind everyone who has already deferred..... it just doesn't feel great to have spent four hours waiting in line to make the reservation and then see invites going out to online reservers first. :(
@Lifeinabox (Los Angeles) claims that he has AWD selected but still received an invite to configure a first production. He is the only one I know of who had something else selected but received an invite anyway. I can't explain it.

Based on speculation on TMC, I don't think changing your preference will in any way change your status in line for an SR. Now that you have changed your preference, I expect that you will get an invitation to configure a first production soon, which you will apparently defer for SR. In either case, you will be ahead of me as a non-owner, non-line waiter.

Im curious what’s going to happen now.

I too think the selection doesn’t mean much and won’t actually dynamically change your place in line. But who knows.

There is only one line and, according to Tesla, your selected preference on the delivery estimator page, has no bearing on when you receive your invitation.

Sorry if this question has been answered, or asked, 100 times... But does anyone know what the SR Model 3 options will be. I have a lease coming to closure in end Jan 18 so I want to know if I can 'afford' to wait or will have to settle on a lesser car due to costs/delays
1] will the SR be available to those of us that did not sign up in 2016 (sensible people) in Early January OR will we be waiting until March or later as we are at the back of the line?
2] Will I be able to order the SR Model 3 with AWD option ONLY - $35 + 4K or will this be bundled into some package that drags me into the $9k plus $4k upgrade -
3] Is the Air Suspension a $2,500 ontop of AWD or will that too be bundled?

Thanks for any info anyone has - and if we dont know - come on Tesla -there are many of us that are desperate to join the tesla family but a $53000 car is not in my immediate future. I live in Ohio so am not sure I feel comfortable with the RWD on snow....

Thank you all kindly for your insight

Sorry if this question has been answered, or asked, 100 times... But does anyone know what the SR Model 3 options will be. I have a lease coming to closure in end Jan 18 so I want to know if I can 'afford' to wait or will have to settle on a lesser car due to costs/delays
1] will the SR be available to those of us that did not sign up in 2016 (sensible people) in Early January OR will we be waiting until March or later as we are at the back of the line?
2] Will I be able to order the SR Model 3 with AWD option ONLY - $35 + 4K or will this be bundled into some package that drags me into the $9k plus $4k upgrade -

Thanks for any info anyone has - and if we dont know - come on Tesla -there are many of us that are desperate to join the tesla family but a $53000 car is not in my immediate future. I live in Ohio so am not sure I feel comfortable with the RWD on snow....

The only thing I know for certain is a mars colony will happen in 2018 before any SR Model 3.

Look for second hand Model S.

• Funny
Reactions: MissyMcBee

With the understanding that no one knows anything about SR for sure yet, here are my best guesses ...
1. You will probably be able to order SR by the end of January. I hope that, all else being equal, that people that reserved early get an earlier delivery. You may not get delivery until March or April.
2. Eventually you will be able to order SR with dual motors, whether or not that configuration is available initially is another story. Personally, I think SR will only be available with PUP initially so you'd need to get SR, PUP, and dual motors.
3. If air suspension is offered it will most likely be an additional cost since it isn't included in the current dual motor configuration.

With the understanding that no one knows anything about SR for sure yet, here are my best guesses ...
1. You will probably be able to order SR by the end of January. I hope that, all else being equal, that people that reserved early get an earlier delivery. You may not get delivery until March or April.
2. Eventually you will be able to order SR with dual motors, whether or not that configuration is available initially is another story. Personally, I think SR will only be available with PUP initially so you'd need to get SR, PUP, and dual motors.
3. If air suspension is offered it will most likely be an additional cost since it isn't included in the current dual motor configuration.
Thank you - I was afraid of that! :( that means I will end up leasing for 2 years and trying again... ugh

Hmm... That's disappointing and not what I understood, but I can see it being true. I would have wanted the PUP with SR myself.... I think the unheated textile seats are a no-go for my wife just as much as a 50k starting price for LR+PUP.... We'll see what the options are by the time it's my turn.

The cloth seats will be heated. I would rather have the cloth seats than the plastic fake leather ones.

works for me! $35k Model 3 is exactly what I need, and as soon as possible... wife almost forced us to pull the trigger on leasing an Acura RDX last weekend... me throwing a fit over not wanting to drive a V6 given what we know about climate change today was the only thing that kept us from going through with it. The salesperson seemed equally amused/annoyed :D

The base model 3 is no comparison to a RDX. Closer to a base accord.

The only thing I know for certain is a mars colony will happen in 2018 before any SR Model 3.

Look for second hand Model S.
How do the Model S hold up second hand? I always worry about the battery on a second hand version? I want this car for life! love the Tesla but always been way out of my financial league - I'm classy just financially cheap!!!