Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance is getting out of hand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay I'm an old bloke with no claims and no infringements for quite a while but I was impressed with Suncorp Insurance for our MYLR. I have Windscreen and Glass covered, Hire car after ANY event and LIFETIME new for old. All for $1260.
That is really good. I just did up a quote through Suncorp for my LR Y and it is a lot more, $2600 with a $2100 excess. Even way more than NRMA who I am currently insured through. 44yo Female, no accidents, no infringements, no at fault claims etc. Just goes to show how insurance differs so much.

Last year my 2020 LR3 was insured with APIA for $961; this year they want $1165 (an increase of 21% - no claims etc).
They also decreased the 'Amount Covered' by 10%. That all smells of daylight robbery.
I have a replacement quote from Allianz for $880 with an increased 'Agreed Value'.
Guess where it's going to be insured.
Thanks for the tip regarding trying allianz. Trying to insure my new MY23 rwd and Allianz are coming in at $400 cheaper than anyone else at $1320 with a $2k excess.

Reactions: houdini
Okay I'm an old bloke with no claims and no infringements for quite a while but I was impressed with Suncorp Insurance for our MYLR. I have Windscreen and Glass covered, Hire car after ANY event and LIFETIME new for old. All for $1260.

Yeah helps when you're not working, not driving 3 or more days in peak time and under 15k per year.

My 3P is $1370 per annum with NRMA and its driven 3 or more days in peak time.

From yesterday's ABS CPI figures: (Noticeable hike in one category)

1690456007586.png

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp
That is really good. I just did up a quote through Suncorp for my LR Y and it is a lot more, $2600 with a $2100 excess. Even way more than NRMA who I am currently insured through. 44yo Female, no accidents, no infringements, no at fault claims etc. Just goes to show how insurance differs so much.
What I like is the fact that our Suncorp policy is 1) Lifetime new for old. 2) Hire car for any event (we are a one car family). And 3) Full windscreen and glass cover. I found that when I included those benefits with other insurers the price suddnely escalated.

Last year my 2020 LR3 was insured with APIA for $961; this year they want $1165 (an increase of 21% - no claims etc).
They also decreased the 'Amount Covered' by 10%. That all smells of daylight robbery.
I have a replacement quote from Allianz for $880 with an increased 'Agreed Value'.
Guess where it's going to be insured.
Did your quotes include choice of repairer? My RACV quote has also gone up 25% this year to $1460 for SR+ (perfect record, pensioner, rural location). Currently looking around, but choice of repairer limits choice, and RACV policy includes new for old, full glass cover and unlimited period hire car. Do I really need choice of repairer to get a Tesla approved repair in case of major Bingle?

I've been with MB insurance since I got delivery of my 2020 Model S performance with ludicrous. They're not cheap. A bit over $4k back then, $5k in 2023. But: for the first 4 years of ownership if you had the insurance with them since new, they pay out new car cost, or up to 105% of original money paid if new car not available. With any other insurer you're stuck at 60% of the original value or less after 3 years.

The decision to go with them was made easy because they were the only insurance company that would take my model in 2020. I've never had an insurance claim, not even a windscreen (until today). NRMA, GIO, and all the other typicals didn't touch a high end Tesla with a ten foot pole in 2020. Maybe that's changed now, but they still will only insure agreed value.

Just today had my first dealings with a claim (giant crack in windscreen) and I couldn't be happier with MB. One form filled in, one phone call with them, Tesla repair quote emailed, and an hour later had their OK, and they deal with the cost end of things with Tesla directly.

Reactions: ICUDoc and paulp
I *hate* insurance renewal time with my X. What I have found is a company that is great one year is crap the next. Over 8 years I probably have had 5 different insurance companies. There is a time component, you have to strike the right insurance company at a time when they need more customers, all of them go through this phase periodically and your challenge is to find the one that wants your business when you need insurance.

ps. The answer is *never* NRMA

I *hate* insurance renewal time with my X. What I have found is a company that is great one year is crap the next. Over 8 years I probably have had 5 different insurance companies. There is a time component, you have to strike the right insurance company at a time when they need more customers, all of them go through this phase periodically and your challenge is to find the one that wants your business when you need insurance.

ps. The answer is *never* NRMA
Funny you should say that - each and every time I have searched for vehicle insurance, I have always found NRMA to be one of the most expensive.

Now I am searching for a soon-to-be Model Y, and NRMA are one of the cheapest, with the best coverage - at least, on my parameters (50's, Male, Regional, no accidents, no points lost, 20k+ km per year etc).

Funny you should say that - each and every time I have searched for vehicle insurance, I have always found NRMA to be one of the most expensive.

Now I am searching for a soon-to-be Model Y, and NRMA are one of the cheapest, with the best coverage - at least, on my parameters (50's, Male, Regional, no accidents, no points lost, 20k+ km per year etc).
Recently I've found Allianz to be the cheapest for an S, 3 and Y.

• Helpful
Reactions: Midnight Man
I have always found NRMA to be one of the most expensive

And for me up until the Tesla NRMA was always cheapest for all my previous cars (excluding the no-name/white-label/supermarket insurers) - but they basically gave a "go away" kind of quote for Tesla ($3000+).

GIO was cheapest for the Tesla so far, and the renewal has come in much better than I was expecting given the quotes I tried to get over the past few weeks (even from GIO). ~$1050 last year to ~$1350 this year, so I will stick with them to keep my lifetime new-for-old for a bit longer.

$1800+ was the cheapest I've gotten with other quotes this year.

NRMA was the cheapest with my 3 SR+ the first year (inner city Sydney) at $1300 after adjusting excess up a little.
Youi (with their frustrating call centre) was most expensive at $4k+ (and well never even bother with them again after that experience).

I've then gone GIO then AAMI twice for roughly the same $s. The NRMA quote goes up every year and was over $3kb this year.

There definitely seems to be more variance in Tesla's than in other cars, but overall I think most can get insured at a similar rate to a similar price Euro sedan/ SUV

And for me up until the Tesla NRMA was always cheapest for all my previous cars (excluding the no-name/white-label/supermarket insurers) - but they basically gave a "go away" kind of quote for Tesla ($3000+).

GIO was cheapest for the Tesla so far, and the renewal has come in much better than I was expecting given the quotes I tried to get over the past few weeks (even from GIO). ~$1050 last year to ~$1350 this year, so I will stick with them to keep my lifetime new-for-old for a bit longer.

$1800+ was the cheapest I've gotten with other quotes this year.
I think they keep a random number generator for Tesla. I have an S, a 3 and a Y all approx $900 PA with Allianz.