Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the windscreen excess at £10 to £75 either...surely autoglass don't do tesla windscreens ? Thought excess for the windscreen would be higher

Yes, Autoglass certainly do Tesla windscreens, why wouldn't they...

You certainly won't get them to cover the cost of Tesla doing the work.

They will also offer you the option of a visit to Tesla afterwards to realign the cameras if needed (cost covered by Autoglass).

When I had mine done Tesla said is wasn't necessary though on recent models unless the camera system reported an error.

Last year I switched insurance from DirectLine to LV for my S85D and saved about 30% compared to DL’s renewal quote.

Things that I found which can help to reduce your insurance costs are having and mentioning:
- autopilot
- automatic emergency braking
- dash camera

I’ll be renewing again soon so I expect I’ll be in the same boat ringing around for a decent quote

Yes, I tried LV, but the online quote system said they wouldn't insure me without a tracker, as in a monitored service (Thatcham-approved) rather than just tracking using the app. Still looking as I have 3 weeks until renewal, but suspect I'll have to stick with DL and suck it up. Not much faith in the insurance industry though. Their job is to price risk, and they aren't very good at it, despite the massive amounts of data they have available. When I went with DL last year, it was a switch from Aviva, who were charging me a reasonable £400 for my BMW 335D, but quoted me £3,500 for the Model S that replaced it. Frustrating.

In June, when I had been erroneously told that I would receive my Model 3 LR AWD in July, NFU quoted me just less than £1k. They did not seem to have much idea about Teslas, although perhaps they do now. When I am told a real delivery date I'll be in touch with them again.

Just in case it helps anyone I did some quotes last night on DL.

36 yr old male with wife as named driver, live in Devon (helps a lot!!)
9+ years no claims, £350 excess,
These don't include protected NCD or legal
10k miles

SR+ £437
LR £580
Performance £702

Kinda surprised at the big difference between the models but hey ho.

I was surprised by DL's quote, it less than I was expecting.

32 (+ wife 30)
M3 SR+
10k miles
9+ years NCB

£413

This is only £100 more than my 335i, which I actually thought was pretty decent considering.

I then tried LV, and they stated they didn't cover this car, even after going through the quote process and selecting it.

Any others I should give a try?

I was surprised by DL's quote, it less than I was expecting.

32 (+ wife 30)
M3 SR+
10k miles
9+ years NCB

£413

This is only £100 more than my 335i, which I actually thought was pretty decent considering.

I then tried LV, and they stated they didn't cover this car, even after going through the quote process and selecting it.

Any others I should give a try?

Yeah LV's form only lets you select LHD, or it did for me. When I get a delivery date I'm going to phone them. They insure my current car.

In June, when I had been erroneously told that I would receive my Model 3 LR AWD in July, NFU quoted me just less than £1k. They did not seem to have much idea about Teslas, although perhaps they do now. When I am told a real delivery date I'll be in touch with them again.
I spoke to NFU about insuring my P+ late last week, and they currently won't quote. I guess they're still trying to get a handle on the market.

What’s the general rule of thumb if u paid your insurance upfront for the year and need to change halfway thru (I assume my cheapest provider for M3 will be someone else) do they return the part of lump sum paid remaining on policy minus admin fee ?

What’s the general rule of thumb if u paid your insurance upfront for the year and need to change halfway thru (I assume my cheapest provider for M3 will be someone else) do they return the part of lump sum paid remaining on policy minus admin fee ?

Yes, they will pay you back any unused whole months usually. But, they will also sting you for admin charges, which in my experience can be pretty much what they want. Although, this should all be in the insurance policy conditions.

Yes, they will pay you back any unused whole months usually. But, they will also sting you for admin charges, which in my experience can be pretty much what they want. Although, this should all be in the insurance policy conditions.
I had a zero hassle experience with Direct Line £350 but with 9 years NCD and would suggest that everyone try them they have a dedicated Tesla Team / Line as previously highlighted on this Forum.

Best so far for me is Churchill:

34 (+ wife 30)
M3 SR+
15k miles
9+ years NCB
Protected No Claims
Total = £456.96

I've tried both Direct Line and LV but neither seem to have the option to select SR+ . Assume you have to phone them?

I've tried both Direct Line and LV but neither seem to have the option to select SR+ . Assume you have to phone them?

You seem to be right only the performance is now listed on the insure a Tesla page, what a silly time to make these changes when some people will be wanting to get insured this week. That said its probably just a temporary error as Direct Line are pretty incompetent with their Tesla quotes.

Don't expect to get anything like what you think you will or should get back.

I recently took out a policy (03/07) for a car I was selling and the premium was £399, sold it on 31/07 and requested and was acknowledged cancellation the same day. I got back about £260. So basically I used a month's worth of premium (£33.25) and got charged the equivalent of over 4.

I'm planning to query it on Monday but expect to be told "admin fees mate" etc. Quite why admin fees need to amount to nearly £100, 1/4 of the policy cost, I don't know.

Last edited:
Don't expect to get anything like what you think you will or should get back.

I recently took out a policy (03/07) for a car I was selling and the premium was £399, sold it on 31/07 and requested cancellation the same day. I got back about £260. So basically I used a month's worth of premium (£33.25) and got charged the equivalent of over 4.

Yes even people who pay monthly will find that if they cancel they often have to pay more as the policy are annual so are refunded based on their own terms and also include a £20 insurance tax.

For this to be worth it you would have to be saving a few hundred at least, £20 insurance fee and any admin fee, they will then refund the policy based on their terms and won't be necessarily be based on 12 months cost minus months used.