Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All. I got a quote back in August when I ordered my Model 3 Performance for £389. I got notified last week that my car is ready for collection this Friday - went back into the quote and altered the start date and it's gone up to £884!!! How can the same quote have increased by £500??

I'm the same, got a quote 2 months ago for just over £400 and then refreshed it 2 weeks ago and best quote was more than double. Car arrives in next 2 weeks. I checked LV last night and they are the best I could find at £623.

Reactions: Chalks99
same thing here. I was looking at quotes today.... price has gone up about £300 since I last got quoted.

looking into it further was able to get slightly cheaper price by getting quote from LV directly rather than through comparison website (c£100 cheaper).

Interestingly both LR AWD and P models had the same insurance cost.

HI All. I got a quote back in August when I ordered my Model 3 Performance for £389. I got notified last week that my car is ready for collection this Friday - went back into the quote and altered the start date and it's gone up to £884!!! How can the same quote have increased by £500??
More people taking up the good offers in the intervening months. Means higher exposure to a vehicle with no good risk history. Plus your quote is now for the next couple of days which also tends to increase the price. Unavoidable if you haven't got a firm delivery date...

Well, (with my cynic's hat on) because car insurance companies are second only to estate agents for being utter parasites on the posterior of humanity... But I'm alright, Jack (I live on a remote Scottish island and my quote is well under £400!).

Wow, a Model S on Colonsay! Unless you are doing a circle route I would have thought you could get anywhere on Colonsay within 5 miles! I would certainly be expecting super-cheap insurance unless you do high mileage all around the rest of the UK too.

More people taking up the good offers in the intervening months. Means higher exposure to a vehicle with no good risk history. Plus your quote is now for the next couple of days which also tends to increase the price. Unavoidable if you haven't got a firm delivery date...

Said the same thing a while ago. People who think insurance companies are making an effort to rip them off need to understand that insurance is quite a competitive market and is driven by low cost rather than quality. So, it is of no benefit to the likes of LV to simply raise prices as it just means everyone would go to someone else. Instead, the reason they put up the prices is because they have internal algorithms which detect over exposure to certain risks ( like a Tesla) . So, they need to make sure the risk is mitigated by premiums and raise those to balance.

Also, as a friend of mine in the business is forever telling me, we in the UK pay quite a bit less for insurance than people in other countries.

If it's of any use, I did mine with LV over the phone about a month before collection. I gave a tentative date of the 15th of November, and when I collected on the 5th, I rang up, and they cut me across at the same price they'd given a month earlier. So maybe "locking in" the quote over the phone is the key? As others have said, they're making it up as they go along, so hard to guess what matters and what doesn't.

Insurance has been creeping up steadily since launch. Plus, you waited until a few days before.. they requote based on the assumption you're now desperate and will take anything.

You still might be able to get lower somewhere else.

Well, I only got told last Thursday night that I would be getting the car this Friday and was given a number plate - I don't think I could have turned a quote into a policy without a number plate. Plus I'd asked earlier in the week if I should be taking the day off work and arranging a lift and was told it was not definite yet. (I did actually think it was going to be January when I got the car). So it's not like I waited until a few days before, I acted as soon as I knew.

I did put the quote back through a couple of comparison sites straight away last Friday - the LV quote of £884 came out top on both. As an experiment I did rerun the quote last Friday with start date as 31 days ahead which is the longest I could do and it only came down by £50.

I rang LV yesterday and the girl I spoke to wasn't that helpful. She said they couldn't do anything to lower the price and couldn't explain the increase. So after the phone call I ran the quote again through a couple of comparison websites using a different email and it came down to £828 - again with LV - so that saved £55, but I'm a bit miffed the girl I was speaking to didn't rerun it for me when I asked if she could do anything. (Someone did tell me that quotes on a Friday are the most expensive and quotes on a Tuesday are cheapest. It has made a difference but I'm surprised this is the case).

As JCremonini mentioned, insurance quotes a based on algorithms. Back in August Model 3s had only been on the roads of the UK for a few days - there is now 3 or 4 months of data in the system so I'm wondering if this means lots of Model 3s are getting in accidents or being stolen or damaged?? There must be claims being made which are altering the risk profile of the car.

It all depends really, direct line were amongst the most expensive for me . Cheapest were Liverpool Victoria followed by Admiral (I think).

I did try Direct Line too yesterday, they came in at over £1,000. So LV is still cheapest for me as well. Still, it's £500 I hadn't expected to pay. It kind of negates some of the 0% BIK that starts next April which is one of the reasons I've taken the plunge when doing my calcs back in August. Oh well, it's only money. And I'll be driving a super cool car in 2 days time - still ever so excited despite this unfortunate situation re insurance :)

Well, I only got told last Thursday night that I would be getting the car this Friday and was given a number plate - I don't think I could have turned a quote into a policy without a number plate. Plus I'd asked earlier in the week if I should be taking the day off work and arranging a lift and was told it was not definite yet. (I did actually think it was going to be January when I got the car). So it's not like I waited until a few days before, I acted as soon as I knew.

I did put the quote back through a couple of comparison sites straight away last Friday - the LV quote of £884 came out top on both. As an experiment I did rerun the quote last Friday with start date as 31 days ahead which is the longest I could do and it only came down by £50.

I rang LV yesterday and the girl I spoke to wasn't that helpful. She said they couldn't do anything to lower the price and couldn't explain the increase. So after the phone call I ran the quote again through a couple of comparison websites using a different email and it came down to £828 - again with LV - so that saved £55, but I'm a bit miffed the girl I was speaking to didn't rerun it for me when I asked if she could do anything. (Someone did tell me that quotes on a Friday are the most expensive and quotes on a Tuesday are cheapest. It has made a difference but I'm surprised this is the case).

As JCremonini mentioned, insurance quotes a based on algorithms. Back in August Model 3s had only been on the roads of the UK for a few days - there is now 3 or 4 months of data in the system so I'm wondering if this means lots of Model 3s are getting in accidents or being stolen or damaged?? There must be claims being made which are altering the risk profile of the car.

I thought they were difficult to steal due to pin to drive ?