Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integration with Google Home / Google Assistant - Now available for general use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your feedback.

1. Are you talking about the multiuser feature of Google Home? That is fairly new. I would have to do some research on that. In general, this is something I've thought about quite a bit. It can be a security issue. On the other hand though, I find it quite useful. Amazon just plainly disallows unlocking of any kind of doors so it had to disabled in the Amazon skill. Google does prohibit unlocking of house doors but they haven't said anything about car doors yet. I won't be surprised if they update that policy.

2. That error message is a catch all in case a specific error is not handled. Looking at the logs, it seems like errors are happening while setting climate temperature. I have added some more checks for that and updated the backend. If you still see the same error, please send me the spoken command that caused it.
1. Yes, the multiuser feature. It's not perfect, but it does distinguish between me, the wife and kids. One of my friends fooled it into thinking he's me, so it does need work.

How is it a security issue in a negative way, if the multiuser were integrated?

2. That's exactly it -- I think I said "what's the interior temperature", instead of saying "get climate status". I'll mess with it some more, thanks again!

I also am unable to get it to work despite clearing cache. I am running 7.1.1 on a Oneplus 3T. Everytime I try it I get the message that "app is not installed."

I got somebody with a Oneplus 3T to try it out and he was able to reproduce the problem. There is a workaround though: In Google Assistant, click on the blue icon on the top right. That will display a directory of all Google Actions. Scroll down to the "Travel and Transport Section" and click on "More". Find EV Car in that list and click on the "Link" button. You should be able to proceed as usual from there. Let me know how it goes.

1. Yes, the multiuser feature. It's not perfect, but it does distinguish between me, the wife and kids. One of my friends fooled it into thinking he's me, so it does need work.

How is it a security issue in a negative way, if the multiuser were integrated?

2. That's exactly it -- I think I said "what's the interior temperature", instead of saying "get climate status". I'll mess with it some more, thanks again!

1. Its a security issue only if multiuser doesn't work reliably. We'll try and experiment with that part and see how it goes.
2. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: Max*
First off - thanks for doing this!

Request: can you post what some of the non-obvious commands do?

Also - will it summon?

There are commands that are non-obvious ?? :)
I will compile a list of commands and associated actions. In the mean time if you have specific one you are curious about, let me know.

It does not do summon. Alexa does not allow anything that unlocks or moves the car. Not sure what Google's policy is. This could be something we can try and push for if there is sufficient interest.

This looks super neat. Tried to connect using google assistant on my Google Pixel XL, it simply told me "It looks like your EV Car account is not linked yet" but I get no other prompts. Any ideas?

You should be able to click on that "card" and that brings up a login screen.
If that doesn't work, click on the blue icon on the top right, scroll down to the "Travel and Transport" section, Look for EV Car there and you should see a button for "Link" account.

• Helpful
Reactions: KArnold
You should be able to click on that "card" and that brings up a login screen.
If that doesn't work, click on the blue icon on the top right, scroll down to the "Travel and Transport" section, Look for EV Car there and you should see a button for "Link" account.

That did the trick (the blue icon) and looking for it. First command I tried failed (where is my car) but I'll try again later. I'm sure the car was in deep sleep at the time, not sure if that has an effect.

What would model S owners ask? Also model X charging status?

In some likelihood, Google home / assistant probably can't tell the difference between "x" and "s" without a lot more context.

But, why not let both "model s" and "model x" be the key phrase?

I'm not sure how the API works, but it seems like it should be reasonable to allow multiple aliases to map to the Tesla handler.