Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Front Parking Sensor Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was booked in for sensor replacement, but then cancelled on the basis of it being software, as suspected all along. I guess it’s just a question of ‘how long?’ before the update reaches us.

How do you consider 2+ months waiting for a fix that was introduced with a known firmware range (2017.42 or 2017.44) to be "that quickly"?

I reported the issue to my SeC mid-November and was told it was a known software issue (though other service personnel later didn't know anything about it and scheduled diagnostics, sensor replacements and rubber seal replacements, none of the replacements they were able to go through with due to incompetence in stockage and making workshop appointments, though).

I mean, they should know what they changed with those firmwares regarding the sensors and thus be able to troubleshoot rather speedily. Taking this long to acknowledge and troubleshoot their software sheds no good light on them.

Reactions: croman
My local service center just told me that 2018.6 (released today) has a fix for the parking sensor issue... they're going to push it to my car soon. We'll see how it goes... I was told months ago that a firmware update I already had fixed the GPS issues I was still having...

Reactions: CK_Stuggi
My local service center just told me that 2018.6 (released today) has a fix for the parking sensor issue... they're going to push it to my car soon. We'll see how it goes... I was told months ago that a firmware update I already had fixed the GPS issues I was still having...

They pushed 2018.6 to my car yesterday and today the sensors failed again, twice. I no longer believe that Tesla has any idea what the problem is or how to fix it -- or perhaps worse they know exactly what the problem is and it's expensive to fix so they're trying (and failing) to work around it with firmware.

Just adding an anecdotal "point," mine have been working for the last couple of days (without any installed update--last one came on January 1). I have no confidence that will continue, but I sure have enjoyed it. It had been so long, I had forgotten just how nice those sensors are.

So while we patiently await the fix for this problem, I’ve noticed something. If I pull in to my garage faster than normal, it seems to always sense the wall. I’ve been alternating slow and fast, every fast is working, every slow entry fails. Does this happen for anyone else? Seems a more reliable correlation than hot/cold or wet/dry. Try it. Let us know.

So while we patiently await the fix for this problem, I’ve noticed something. If I pull in to my garage faster than normal, it seems to always sense the wall. I’ve been alternating slow and fast, every fast is working, every slow entry fails. Does this happen for anyone else? Seems a more reliable correlation than hot/cold or wet/dry. Try it. Let us know.

I've got only a few inches to spare on left and right of my car when squeezing through the opening, plus only about 3' total split between front and back, plus a noticable bump to go over when entering the garage... I'm sorry, but I'm always going to be pulling into my garage slowly. Interesting theory though.. I wonder what the root cause would be for something like that. It would be a really bad way to design a parking sensor, that it could only detect fast-moving things (or stationary things when the car is moving fast...)

Reactions: croman
I.e., they have no idea what the problem really is, all of their previous guesses were wrong, and they have no idea whatsoever how long it will actually take to resolve or, really, whether it even can be resolved with a software update.

This is my fear. And I don't think it's an irrational fear. I'm not sure they ever fixed the GPS problems either; my GPS (and cruise control with it) definitely failed after the firmware update that supposedly fixed those issues.