Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

intermittent headlight issue

sonysw

Sep 17, 2013
California
I have issue with intermittent headlight (left/driver side only). The car is 2013 model S. The service center recommends to change the entire headlight (not just bulb) for $1600. The problem is very similar described in this video.

Does anyone experience the same problem ? I don't mind to change the bulb but to change the entire headlight for $1600 seems high. The right headlight is fine. Do you know anyone in Los Angeles area other than dealer that can perform this ?

Thanks in advance

PWlakewood

Jan 9, 2019
US
Try a reboot and/or power off cycle. If you're out of warranty, some members have replaced the HID bulb/ballast with one on amazon with successful results (color/temp match).
What he said.....I had the same issue and replaced both bulbs which is how it should be done with HID bulbs. No need to change the ballast just buy replacement bulbs.

Reactions: hydro

Knightowl

Whovian
Oct 14, 2016
Colorado Springs
I have issue with intermittent headlight (left/driver side only). The car is 2013 model S. The service center recommends to change the entire headlight (not just bulb) for $1600. The problem is very similar described in this video.

Does anyone experience the same problem ? I don't mind to change the bulb but to change the entire headlight for $1600 seems high. The right headlight is fine. Do you know anyone in Los Angeles area other than dealer that can perform this ?

Thanks in advance

Same issue that comes and goes for my 2014 S85, the ranger has told me the light ballest is notoriously an issue, not worth paying to replace the entire headlight assembly, just turn them off and on again or reboot or park get out and get back in and both work again. Annoying, goes through spurts where it happens then long periods where it wont happen.

PWlakewood

Jan 9, 2019
US
If I buy hid lights from Amazon or other online source I will read the reviews and I tend to stay away from the really cheap ones. I cant necessarily recommend a certain brand but there is no need to buy the most expensive ones. Also the factory hid in a model s are 4300k and I prefer a white 5000k light but some people go for more blue look of the 6000k. I dont live in cali so I cant recommend a certain shop. There is a nice YouTube video that shows how to change them but if your not comfortable jacking your car up and taking off the wheels then you might try to find a local shop that can do it for you.

PWlakewood

Jan 9, 2019
US
Same issue that comes and goes for my 2014 S85, the ranger has told me the light ballest is notoriously an issue, not worth paying to replace the entire headlight assembly, just turn them off and on again or reboot or park get out and get back in and both work again. Annoying, goes through spurts where it happens then long periods where it wont happen.
The ballast is fine. Its almost always the bulb itself. If the ballast had an issue the light would stay off all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightowl

sonysw

Sep 17, 2013
California

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC