Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

intermittent headlight issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have issue with intermittent headlight (left/driver side only). The car is 2013 model S. The service center recommends to change the entire headlight (not just bulb) for $1600. The problem is very similar described in this video.

Does anyone experience the same problem ? I don't mind to change the bulb but to change the entire headlight for $1600 seems high. The right headlight is fine. Do you know anyone in Los Angeles area other than dealer that can perform this ?

Thanks in advance

Try a reboot and/or power off cycle. If you're out of warranty, some members have replaced the HID bulb/ballast with one on amazon with successful results (color/temp match).
What he said.....I had the same issue and replaced both bulbs which is how it should be done with HID bulbs. No need to change the ballast just buy replacement bulbs.

Reactions: hydro
I have issue with intermittent headlight (left/driver side only). The car is 2013 model S. The service center recommends to change the entire headlight (not just bulb) for $1600. The problem is very similar described in this video.

Does anyone experience the same problem ? I don't mind to change the bulb but to change the entire headlight for $1600 seems high. The right headlight is fine. Do you know anyone in Los Angeles area other than dealer that can perform this ?

Thanks in advance

Same issue that comes and goes for my 2014 S85, the ranger has told me the light ballest is notoriously an issue, not worth paying to replace the entire headlight assembly, just turn them off and on again or reboot or park get out and get back in and both work again. Annoying, goes through spurts where it happens then long periods where it wont happen.

If I buy hid lights from Amazon or other online source I will read the reviews and I tend to stay away from the really cheap ones. I cant necessarily recommend a certain brand but there is no need to buy the most expensive ones. Also the factory hid in a model s are 4300k and I prefer a white 5000k light but some people go for more blue look of the 6000k. I dont live in cali so I cant recommend a certain shop. There is a nice YouTube video that shows how to change them but if your not comfortable jacking your car up and taking off the wheels then you might try to find a local shop that can do it for you.

Same issue that comes and goes for my 2014 S85, the ranger has told me the light ballest is notoriously an issue, not worth paying to replace the entire headlight assembly, just turn them off and on again or reboot or park get out and get back in and both work again. Annoying, goes through spurts where it happens then long periods where it wont happen.
The ballast is fine. Its almost always the bulb itself. If the ballast had an issue the light would stay off all the time.

Hi! Just checking to see if the bulb replacement addressed the issue. I am having the same problem here.

Interesting that everybody I have seen with this problem seems to have it on the driver side. Wondering if there is something that makes that particular bulb more susceptible to failing this way.

I’ve had this problem and it was a loose/almost broken ground connection. There’s a stud on each side of the frame (under the frunk Liner) the “lazy” side was corroded 95% and fell off with the lightest touch. Tap and drilled it for an M6 bolt and good to go. Covered it in anti corrosion grease.

Avoid drilling all the way through and into the brake line, wheel, tire, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
Just a quick update on my end. A ranger came over today (coincidentally, a door handle had also stopped working). I had purchased a replacement bulb and he was kind enough to replace it for me, although he suspected that it might be a faulty ballast.

The good news is that I went on a longish drive to test it, and so far, so good. So, at least for me, it seems that the trigger for the problem was a bulb on its way out.

Coincidentally. I just watched a video by Bjorn Nyland (Norwegian U-Tuber) who replaced the bulbs on his 2013 Model S. His tech said the ballasts tend to fail due to corrosion. if true, that may mean it is more likely in areas (like Norway0 where there is road salt used in winter, and less likely otherwise. Just an educated guess....
If interested, Bjorn's video has good closeups of the ballast, bulbs (showing how they fail), and alignment process, plus his headlamp testing.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc

Thanks in advance

Has anyone had this issue where it moves from one side to the other side?
I had the drivers side go out a few minutes into a commute home. But it worked fine the next time I drove.
But it has switched to the passenger side recently.
It has always come back on with a reboot, or a park/exit/re-enter.
My first thought was a loose connection somewhere because it moved from one light to the other.

Just seems like if the bulbs are working, why does replacing them fix this issue?

I saw a post regarding a corroded ground connector. May look into that.

I’ve had this problem and it was a loose/almost broken ground connection. There’s a stud on each side of the frame (under the frunk Liner) the “lazy” side was corroded 95% and fell off with the lightest touch. Tap and drilled it for an M6 bolt and good to go. Covered it in anti corrosion grease.

Avoid drilling all the way through and into the brake line, wheel, tire, etc.
David,
Did you happen to get any pics of that repair location?
I'm having this issue but its moved from one light to the other, so it seems more like the connection somewhere vs a bulb issue.

David,
Did you happen to get any pics of that repair location?
I'm having this issue but its moved from one light to the other, so it seems more like the connection somewhere vs a bulb issue.
I don’t have my S anymore. Marked this photo I found the web. This is a RWD car. The location looks the same as my P85D.

There is an identical ground on the left and right side. I’d check them both before looking into more complicated fixes. One was broken on my car and the other was “gross”. I imagine you will find the same…

Attachments

• C78D558C-7A10-49FF-8B2A-F01373D6BF57.jpeg
    C78D558C-7A10-49FF-8B2A-F01373D6BF57.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 3,236
I don’t have my S anymore. Marked this photo I found the web. This is a RWD car. The location looks the same as my P85D.

There is an identical ground on the left and right side. I’d check them both before looking into more complicated fixes. One was broken on my car and the other was “gross”. I imagine you will find the same…
Great call on checking those grounds. Had same issue and that was my fix for a while, then I had to replace the bulb.