Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory car- what's normal delivery timeline?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would add my story here since there are a bunch of inventory people waiting:

Ordered an inventory Model X 13 days ago. The car I wanted was local so no delivery fee. Put the order in and waited patiently. Uploaded some stuff online like finance application and drivers license. Got word from tesla finance 1 or 2 days later. Then complete and total radio silence. Figured that it was normal judging by what I have read on other delivery threads for CPO and Inventory cars. After exactly 8 days from my order I called my OA on Monday. He was shocked that I had not been contacted by my DS. He promised to reach out to the DS. The next day, Tuesday my DS contacted me he was super nice and said the car would be ready for pickup on Thursday. I couldn't do pick-up on Thursday so set-up for today, Saturday. So from order to pickup 13 days. Probably could have been faster if I pushed and called sooner. Not too bad.

Now the delivery experience. I have read all the horror stories. Car was clean and looked to be in excellent condition. All accessories were present. Took a pre-delivery test drive. Drove great. DS took me through set-up which took about 45 minutes, she was great. Paper work took about 5 minutes to sign. Plates took another 10 minutes. The car was presented to me with 2 keys in the key box and the standard nice swag bag. There were two small problems with delivery. The car was delivered with the 85 MPH speed limiter still on, figured that out on my way home. They removed that remotely via tesla roadside assistance. Also my car was delivered with a strange option enabled in the "T" logo menu/window. I was able to select 60/75/90 or max performance modes. This is a demo/test driver mode. Another call to roadside assistance and they gave me the magic password to remove that option box. Really all in all a great delivery experience. Much better than I was expecting, although my expectations were very low considering all the horror stories that have been posted. Hopefully the car remains trouble free. I hope everyone else out there waiting for their inventory car has a similarly great experience as I had.

I live in southern NJ and ordered an inventory car on 12/24/16. The car was in the "New York area" and was promised to be delivered to Devon, PA without a delivery/transportation fee. It took a few weeks for the car to make it's way to Devon, but I was able to pick it up on my preferred delivery date of 1/16/17. The only hiccup was my final MVPA listed a $2,000 transportation fee. I balked at that and showed all my prior information that indicated no fee. My OA got involved and was able to remove the fee. Otherwise, it was pretty smooth. I was on vacation for a few weeks after ordering, so couldn't pick up the car any earlier even if I wanted to. At first I thought that might be problematic (assuming the car would be sitting in Devon for a while), but the car didn't arrive in Devon until 1/13/17, so just a few days before pick-up. By the way, it hasn't quite yet been two weeks, but I absolutely love the car and keep thinking of places to go just so I can keep driving the car! It's a pain now, but you'll love it and it will all be forgotten once the car arrives.

Reactions: ModelX and rjdoc74
Thanks for sharing! Did you use delivery checklist?
Nope. Took a careful walk around the vehicle. Looked for any obvious imperfections. Took a short pre-deivery drive. Tested all doors and windows. Made sure all accessories were present. Although I gave the vehicle a careful inspection I did not use any "pre-delivery" check sheet. Went through the car the same way I do with any new car I have purchased.

I was told yesterday that ALL New Inventory model X's are NO longer available for sale. Anyone else get this info????

Did you hear why? I'm located in Ohio (zip 44122) and love to play around with the Inventory page on Tesla's web site. Often times I will see no vehicles in my area, so I tend to enter various zip codes around the country. Namely California, Texas, Maryland, and Florida. Usually by entering zip codes in those regions I can find at least a FEW Model X vehicles around (new inventory).

However doing that right now (Feb-2-2017 at 9:06 AM EST) -- I'm finding that your statement might have some creed to it-- there isn't a single inventory Model X showing up. However, I can tell you this: Tesla's web site sucks. My local staff at the Tesla store have shown me cars that are new inventory (or even CPO inventory) that don't show up on the web site. They tell me that usually the number of inventory/CPO cars is 3-4x as many as what the web site shows, for some reason.

With that said, I'd be curious to hear more about your statement-- if you find out more, share it here! :)

I would like to share my experience of purchasing my MX. I went to the sales store in LA on Monday after Xmas and ordered a car that was in San Diego. I got a call that night when I got home telling me options for delivery near lax. I picked the earliest which was Thursday of that week. Finished all the paper work and paid the remaining balance online. It took some days to get the email with the option to pay online and I got that completed Thursday morning. Picked up the car and signed the rest of the paperwork and was in and out of the delivery place in about an hour. Mainly to go over the features. It was amazingly fast. I communicated by email and got a response usually in 24 hours. When I did call the SC I got the answer machine and never got a call back. Overall I was happy with my delivery experience.

If you want a wall charger. Make sure you order that in advance. There were no 24 ft wall chargers in my area and I called all the SCs multiple times per day and I never got a call back. That was very disappointing. It's almost like nobody mans the phone. I ended up calling sales instead just to see if anyone was home. I was even told at delivery they would have at the SC but that wasn't true. I ordered the wall charger online and it took about 2 weeks. That was the most annoying part of the experience.

I was told yesterday that ALL New Inventory model X's are NO longer available for sale. Anyone else get this info????

The new inventory Model X has pretty much been sold out at the end of last quarter.

Over the past week, they've been starting to trickle back in. A couple of AP2s here and there, and some leftover AP1s.

Today alone I saw 4 new cars pop into inventory, 3 sold within 6 hours. One remains: Model X 75D 5YJXCAE23GF027761 | Tesla

All the ones that have been popping up have been selling within the day, so you have to check frequently. Hope this helps!

Also side note. Tesla's own inventory site is the slowest to update. Ev-cpo seems to have a lag as well. DÆrik's site seems to be the best. But nothing beats talking to an OA who have full access. Just depends how annoyed they get from a constant refresh.

Also side note. Tesla's own inventory site is the slowest to update. Ev-cpo seems to have a lag as well

Can you please elaborate? Both EV-cpo and Erik's site pulls directly from what Tesla itself publishes online, so it's not possible for Tesla's own site to be the "slowest to update," it's the original source. EV-CPO pulls from Tesla's site every 10 minutes, so that's basically the max "lag" there could be (I think Erik's site does the same). What are you comparing to, to perceive any lag?

If you're finding cars through a Sales advisor, they have access to a much larger pool of cars that are never published on Tesla's site... so you can't really compare those cars to what is published online.

Last edited:
Over the past couple of weeks I've been looking for inventory Xs. Every time I checked Teslas inventory site - direct from the inventory tab. It showed 0 model Xs. Refreshing several times a day, didn't show anything.

At the same time, I kept a view on EV-CPO. Using the original as well as the hunter. At one point I noticed 2-3 inventory cars that were sold but still displayed. They stayed on the site for several days too (VINs were the same, so same cars)

I also kept an eye on Eriks site, that's where I saw the most movement. Cars coming and going. The four cars I referenced earlier, I never saw those show on Ev-cpo nor Teslas inventory site.

I actually just checked all 3 sites again.
Eriks site shows the X I linked.
Tesla's site shows none available.
EV-CPO shows 1, but a p90D that has been sold for at least a couple of days.

I don't know the details behind each, and I don't mean to knock any particular site. I use all 3 for a reason, and they're great tools. I just want people to be aware that there isn't an all inclusive inventory that's real time.

I just want people to be aware that there isn't an all inclusive inventory that's real time.

Ok, I can see why you make that conclusion, but that's because Tesla plays games with their listings. They may list/unlist a car on their site several times, but it's always actually available. So for instance, if Tesla lists an MX for sale, our sites then pick it up. But if Tesla unlists it but it's still available, that creates the discrepancies you are seeing where it might not be on Tesla's site, but on the others. And when a car disappears from Tesla's site, we have to figure out if it's just unlisted and still available, or actually been sold, so that could lead to some stale listings to be displayed. And sometimes a car is sold and removed from the Tesla listings, and maybe removed from the other sites, but then it becomes available again, but not re-listed on Tesla's site, again, causing another discrepancy. And I'm sure we use different detection methods to figure this all out, it's still not possible to create an actual list that reflects all the inventory in actual "real time" without hammering Tesla's site 24x7 of every possible VIN to do a brute force search, which really isn't an option.

So your statement of "there isn't an all inclusive inventory that's real time" is accurate, but that's only because there isn't any place that has an accurate listing of all inventory in real time to pull from, EXCEPT Sales Associates in the stores who have access to Tesla's internal list of cars for sale that are never published.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
I guess Keiki was right. I was told they sold all their inventory last quarter, but looks like there's a good amount of AP1s available now.

Also worth noting Ev-cpo now shows the most cars with Eriks site lagging behind now. There's some really good deals on a couple of inventory AP1 cars especially the AP1 P100D.

After my brother convinced me to give tesla a Shot before I was just about to Drop $140k on a Mercedes AMG GTS, I decided to order one . while ordering my car , I saw the bottom right corner of the page that said a car similar to what I want was available as an inventory car with a "14 day delivery". only exception was that it did not have the air suspension. I ordered the car, even before I test drove one . The sales associate called me within minutes , and asked if I wanted to test drive the car, which to me was great service. she had me test drive a model S 90D (what I ordered) , and at the end of the test drive said if I did not want to wait the 2 weeks I can have that car in 2 days. The only difference was that being an older model it had less cameras. So I thought to myself what was two weeks wait for 5 more cameras? I'd wait.
well little did I know that like a once sided blind date , she would disappear on me. it has been 4 weeks .
first couple of weeks I called a coupled of times, and she told me that the "car of my dreams" was in Pennsylvania. then another person called to schedule a test drive, excited I called back to see if that was my car that had arrived, he did not even know that I had already ordered a car. Feeling bad, he checked and said my car was in Freemont for "reconditioning" and should be in Seattle in 3-4 days.
so cleared my weekend, waited , alas there was no call. That Monday after, I got a text from my sales person who said she checked the car and "good news" it is on its way and in "Ohio" . imagine my confusion. Pennsylvania->Freemont, CA--> Ohio ?

one week passed , yesterday I got another text . this time the car is in St. Luis !?!?! and I should expect it in two weeks.

I've stopped believing them .

my only beef is, why put "14 day Delivery" on the web site when you do not intent to do it? also , they are clearly making excuses now, why else would the car go from PA to CA, back to OH, then MS?

should have taken the offer on the 2015 model.

p.s. I once shipped a car from Cleveland to Seattle for $800 in winter and took 3 days to get here.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I ordered my P100D on December 22nd and got the normal confirmation 7 days later on December 29, 2016. I received a call saying my car should be going into production second week of February and I should receive the car the first or second week of March. This is exactly one year after I took delivery of my P90DL.