TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Inventory vs. CPO

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Buckeye2320, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

I have seen a couple people state that they were getting an inventory vehicle versus a CPO. I know about the CPO site, but how do you find an inventory Model S?

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Call your nearest store (or gallery) and have them look up what's available in your region. Then if you're not happy with the selection, start calling other regions' stores. They used to have a POC at HQ that would look at the entire fleet, but they've moved away from it after having some logistical problems with shipping. At least that's what I was told by my gallery contact.

3. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

I had stopped by the Highland Park Store, and I have a feeling that out of the 100 or so cars they have, some might be inventory. Will have to stop by when they are open.

IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0057.JPG

4. DougH

DougH Active Member

There is not to much difference between the two. The CPO cars are reconditioned to new, inventory is not. Tax credit is already subtracted from CPO, inventory you have to wait to file it. Id do CPO.

5. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I bought by car as an inventory car, but probably would have gone CPO if it was available at the time.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

There is a big difference between the two. Inventory cars are recent production, usually within the past three months. CPO cars are older-- they have been traded in on newer models. You'll find 60s and P85s as CPO, also 85s without autopilot. The inventory cars will be what's being made now- 70D, 85, 85D, P85D.

Also I don't think your statement about tax credit being subtracted from CPO price is correct, I thought the tax credit only applied to new cars (not registered to an owner yet, so inventory counts). But I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable on that. I'm sure they're will be posts about it soon if that's not correct.

7. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

You are correct. Inventory cars have not been sold to anyone, Tesla still owns them, so the car, when sold to the buyer is new and is eligible for the U.S. Federal Tax Credit (and in California, the state rebate).

CPO has been registered and is not eligible for those incentives (though I seem to remember that one of the states (Colorado?) now allows their state program to apply to used cars (which a CPO is).

8. DougH

DougH Active Member

Not all Inventory cars are "what's being made now". And not all CPO cars are older, you can find recent 2014's for sale, some do have Autopilot and some of the newer features. And what I meant amount the tax credit is that it's already been taken from the first owner and not all inventory cars come with a tax credit.

9. Barry

Barry Member

That is correct. A neighbor was recently telling me about a dealership in Boulder that specializes in bringing used, out-of-state, EVs in and selling them here, as they are eligible for a state tax credit up to $6000.

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I've seen their ads online for a while. They sell a lot of Volts from out of state and other EVs as well.

11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Not true..

Most people I've talked to who got inventory cars got them in like-new condition, including me. My P85+ had 8000 miles on it and was 8 months old when I bought it. Except for one tiny chip on the hood, it was indistinguishable from a new car. Before delivery, it went through Tesla's full inspection and reconditioning, and any issues fixed/addressed, and was delivered like a new car.

In addition, my factory warranty starts on the date and mileage I got the car adding those additional 8000 miles and 8 months.

12. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

How can I tell if a CPO car has Autopilot ???

How can you tell if a CPO car has Autopilot? All I was able to see on Tesla's CPO listing was "The Tech Package adds a host of features to an already advanced car"... and this was one of the highest VINs (P54055 85 kWh Performance Model S P54055 | Tesla Motors )

13. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Per the Tesla rep I spoke to yesterday, no CPO cars on the current list have autopilot. If it had autopilot, I would think it would be displayed prominently on the page for the car, as this would probably make it sell immediately.

14. MorrisonHiker

You can use the Autopilot column on the CPO Consolidator to easily see which CPOs have Autopilot. So far, there have been two that have included Autopilot and both sold rather quickly.

15. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Thanks! According to this there are NO AutoPilot equipped Tesla CPO cars. Looks like Inventory is the only choice for a discount... or wait until the Model X ships and hope an Autopilot Model S comes along.

16. MorrisonHiker

Correct. If you scroll down, you can see the CPOs that were previously sold. If you filter on AutoPilot, you can see there were two available previously. One sold within 2 days and the other in 6 days. You aren't the only one looking for Autopilot. Many others on here check daily for Autopilot and AWD models. So far, not much luck.

17. green1

green1 Active Member

Autopilot hardware is still new enough that it's no surprise it's rare on the CPO site. My hope is that when everyone upgrades to an X at the end of the year that a bunch of TACC cars will enter the CPO site, I'm waiting for then.

18. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Here's Highland Park as of a couple of days ago. They told me they'd moved a ton of CPO cars and are now down to about 40 or so.

IMG_0342.JPG

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

According to the CPO Consolidator, they have exactly 40 cars available.

Also, they sold 44 from that location.