Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely benefitted from a reduced price for my Model 3 compared with the prices now. Actually, when I took delivery in May 2020 prices had bottomed out because of the initial effects of the pandemic and Tesla gave me a significant rebate on the purchase price that I had agreed to in February. I did not negotiate for that - Tesla just told me that they were doing it, and sent me a cheque. I find the prices now to be quite high. That said, Tesla is selling them at that price as fast as it can make them, so that's what the market will bear, for now. However, with more and better competition, I expect that Tesla eventually will have to find a way to sell for less. I think that would be a good thing - I look forward to EVs in general becoming more reasonably priced.
Agreed, though I think it will still be a few years before others can match the software and charging network. I think most of us would enjoy more options and “luxury” touches, improvements only good competition can drive.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I agree with most of your post, but I have to disagree here. The MY suspension is just harsh. Tesla tried to take a shortcut and just plop the Model 3 suspension in the MY and call it good but it doesn't work well. If you just want drive it's harsh and if you want performance it doesn't do well either, hence all the 3rd party suspension upgrade packages available.
I have to disagree regarding the "harsh ride" statement. It is firm and stable and it performs really well. All cars have aftermarket "better" suspension packages available. The worst thing you want is cushy/wobbly suspension setup with 4500lb rocket. =)

Agreed, though I think it will still be a few years before others can match the software and charging network. I think most of us would enjoy more options and “luxury” touches, improvements only good competition can drive.
I am sure Tesla is going to be always 5-10 years ahead because they are the one who spend way more money for the R&D than marketing, politics, and all the other BS within the legacy auto makers.

Reactions: yellowr6
I have to disagree regarding the "harsh ride" statement. It is firm and stable and it performs really well. All cars have aftermarket "better" suspension packages available. The worst thing you want is cushy/wobbly suspension setup with 4500lb rocket. =)
I came from a 2017 Audi A4. it had similar tires and had a firm suspension without being harsh. In my MY anything more than a minor crack in the asphalt is just jarring. That's not what a good suspension feels like.

Selling for less usually means someone is giving you less. Usually, the battery size has been reduced. Sure, they can add more gadgets and gizmos on the dash, but why? "Luxury" touches? What does that mean? My car has wood all over the place, and leather, and my wife's 3 isn't all that spartan. Now, I have never even touched any other EV, but I've never felt the need for any "luxury" touches. Millions of Toyota owners would agree. Just because Ford or Chrysler add a couple gimcracks doesn't make them a better car, nor are they "Improvements". The improvements would be bigger battery, longer range, etc. I do NOT care about chrome strips or painted "accents" or strange looking wood.

Selling for less usually means someone is giving you less. Usually, the battery size has been reduced. Sure, they can add more gadgets and gizmos on the dash, but why? "Luxury" touches? What does that mean? My car has wood all over the place, and leather, and my wife's 3 isn't all that spartan. Now, I have never even touched any other EV, but I've never felt the need for any "luxury" touches. Millions of Toyota owners would agree. Just because Ford or Chrysler add a couple gimcracks doesn't make them a better car, nor are they "Improvements". The improvements would be bigger battery, longer range, etc. I do NOT care about chrome strips or painted "accents" or strange looking wood.
Yes - a lot of luxury cars offer burled veneer as a 'luxury' appointment, but I never cared for it myself and often times find it gaudy. Whether you consider it 'luxury' or not I'm totally fine with the interior of my MY. The only things that might be nice is ventilated seats and something besides black and white for color choices.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Regarding maintenance costs, we just had our 2011 Odyssey in to the dealer. Oil change, Transmission flush and power steering flush were about $275. None of that would have been necessary on my MY.
Wait 11 years and report back how much you pay for any maintenance for your MY. =)
Also, you need to do the brake fluid flush several times before you hit 11 year mark.

• Funny
Reactions: zpaul and Suns_PSD
2017 A4,
a Sedan, not suv/cuv
so a SUV gets a pass on how it rides? Doesn't matter - the manufacturer is responsible for matching the suspension to the vehicle.
P225/50R17 which is not remotely similar to Model Y
Not sure where you got that - It had 255/40R19 tires. giving a 10.2 cm sidewall. My MY has 255/45R19 tires giving it a 11.4 cm sidewall. If anything the thicker sidewall give more cushion.
3500 pounds, which is 1000 lbs less than Model Y
See point number one.

Again, it's not that the suspension is firm, it's that it's harsh. I don't do any 'performance' driving. I drive around town. The drivers I've talked to who do say that the Y also doesn't perform well when driven fast or pushed, so I have a hard time buying the 'performance tuning' excuse.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Wait 11 years and report back how much you pay for any maintenance for your MY. =)
Also, you need to do the brake fluid flush several times before you hit 11 year mark.
Yes, I had the brakes flushed on our odyssey but didn't include that because it's required for the MY as well.

So far the maintenance on my MY has consisted of changing the wiper blades, changing the cabin air filter and rotating the tires. Of course, for a 2 year old ICE car the only extra maintenance at this point would have been a couple of oil changes, so not a huge difference.

Edit - I don't know if the Y has a power steering pump/fluid or not. I assume it's all electric as I haven't seen any other information to the contrary.

Last edited:
so a SUV gets a pass on how it rides? Doesn't matter - the manufacturer is responsible for matching the suspension to the vehicle.

Not sure where you got that - It had 255/40R19 tires. giving a 10.2 cm sidewall. My MY has 255/45R19 tires giving it a 11.4 cm sidewall. If anything the thicker sidewall give more cushion.

See point number one.

Again, it's not that the suspension is firm, it's that it's harsh. I don't do any 'performance' driving. I drive around town. The drivers I've talked to who do say that the Y also doesn't perform well when driven fast or pushed, so I have a hard time buying the 'performance tuning' excuse.
I just googled the stock tire sizes, so it might not be the size you had. Sedan vs. SUV/CUV has totally different driving dynamics which might not be directly related to the ride quality. my point was that you are comparing two cars that are totally different countering your claim "similar"

Again, most aged people or sensitive bottom or people who are not car people mislabel this performance characteristic as "bad" or "harsh", but it is not. Based on your use case, Tesla cars are not for you. You might want to try Prius, Ioniq5/EV6, Buick, Caddy with cushy suspension for in town driving only and driving point A to B with highest level of comfort.

I just googled the stock tire sizes, so it might not be the size you had. Sedan vs. SUV/CUV has totally different driving dynamics which might not be directly related to the ride quality. my point was that you are comparing two cars that are totally different countering your claim "similar"

Again, most aged people or sensitive bottom or people who are not car people mislabel this performance characteristic as "bad" or "harsh", but it is not. Based on your use case, Tesla cars are not for you. You might want to try Prius, Ioniq5/EV6, Buick, Caddy with cushy suspension for in town driving only and driving point A to B with highest level of comfort.
I wasn't saying the cars were similar, just that the tires were; sorry if that wasn't clear in my original post. My main point was that a firm, tight suspension doesn't need to mean harsh.

My main point was that a firm, tight suspension doesn't need to mean harsh.
You're referencing some unicorn as it's actually very rare to get a non-electronic damper setup to be firm w/o being harsh. It takes tons of freaking time to develop. You need to get real man. The Y is not want you want it to be and the kicker is YOU bought the thing. Like why if you hate the suspension so much? You post about it everywhere.

Reactions: WhiteWi