Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, no it isn't...
In this video bjorn did a range test on the Ioniq 5 AWD, in the summer on dry pavement, and got 153 wh/km in the 90km/h test and 244 wh/km in the 120km/h test.

In this video bjorn did the same range test in the Model 3 Performance, except in the winter, wearing winter tires on wet pavement, and got 174 wh/km in the 90km/h test and 219 wh/km in the 120km/h test... So in actuality, the Ioniq 5 is NOT more efficient.

Of course different tests will have different results.

However the real world tests that insideev did had the Ioniq EV a solid notch above, and the highest overall efficiency of any EV.

Of course different tests will have different results.

However the real world tests that insideev did had the Ioniq EV a solid notch above, and the highest overall efficiency of any EV.

AFAIK these are different cars.. the insideEVs had the 38kwh battery while bjorn was using the larger batter that makes the car heavier and less efficient..

probably the model 3 standard RWD is the most efficient of any of them but they didnt test that one... the LUCID is pretty mindblowing

Reactions: laservet
Jump in guys. It's a Hyundai.
I've had three and my son had two. (It took a long learning curve before either of us would vow to never, ever, ever consider anything with a Hyundai name on it).

The first Sante Fe saved my family in a crash. "I'll give it that." Or at least credit the airbags.

The Hyundai Tuscon rode like a bouncing brick and the mileage was nowhere near the EPA promise.
(When a Prius says 51 mpg, you get 51 and maybe even a bit more).

The Elantra promised 40 mg mileage and it never came close averaging 27 mpg at it's peak. They just keep returning it saying, "Everything checks out OK."

How could that be?? Heard of mileage gate? If they can lie about that, how much do you trust the rest of the car?

Hey, you could get compensation for the mileage deficit, but Hyundai made it so difficult that it wasn't worthwhile. You had to show up EVERY month at the dealership to collect your $17.32, while they spent an hour haranguing you to buy tires or another one of their pieces of junk. Sly lawyers too.

My son had two. Both were returned under the lemon law.
The first one was towed to service 9 times in the first 6 months. The second one got 12 mpg and the national engineer couldn't figure out why. They even removed the gas tank. A match in the tank would have been more appropriate. I should have known to stay away, when the first new one off the lost died on the second day.

My office manager got a used Accent that spent more time in the shop ("we don't find any problem") than it did in our lot, until she finally dumped it on some poor soul for about half of what she paid to it.

Buyer Beware? Sign up and get one, guys, if you like death by a thousand cuts. We complain about Tesla service. Geez. Don't even go there with Hyundai.
And the fun just keeps on a coming.

Hyundai Owners File Class Action Over Excessive Oil Consumption

Hyundai, Kia are sued after recalling vehicles because of fire risk | Reuters

Ok I finally did it! Dealer came through after putting my name on waitlist 3 month ago and just got the Limited Ioniq 5 this week. Picked up experience was fantastic. No BS dealer markup. Paid MSRP out of door. I also have 2022 MYP that i picked up in February. Ask me anything if you have any questions!
12CCF5C6-C9E4-45E2-9C32-0DBA85C3F54E.jpeg

Ok I finally did it! Dealer came through after putting my name on waitlist 3 month ago and just got the Limited Ioniq 5 this week. Picked up experience was fantastic. No BS dealer markup. Paid MSRP out of door. I also have 2022 MYP that i picked up in February. Ask me anything if you have any questions!

Full report in a couple of weeks maybe??? Enjoy your new ride.

Rich

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Here's very quick run downs based off the first 2 hours of drive.

Pros of I5

* Very spacious front seat, espcially like the extra space in the center. Anyone with dog that likes to ride in front will appreciate the space
* Love 360 parking camera. Very useful and informative. Tesla should have this.
* Blind spot warning, very good, also turn signal turns on side camera
* Looks different. Very subjective. I think it looks fine/futuristic, I've asked a few and some said it's ugly.
* Suspension is nice and airly, like minivan feels.
- HUD is very nice. Tesla should have it. But it doesn’t integrate with CarPlay so if you use maps on the phone you won’t see turn by turn in HUD.

My personal gripes with Ioniq.

* Car feels big, floaty, and with long wheel base, it has a large turning radius. You are not going to mistaken this with driving a Tesla, where it feels closer to the ground, more connected to the car, and just overall very nimble to drive and navigate the street and turning the corners. The difference is huge.
* Acceleration. Talking strictly in sports mode, it's pretty quick 0-60 in 5 seconds-ish. It's pretty impressive if not comparing to Tesla. But Telsa gives you that super gravity pull that is very addicting.
* Wheels feel light and shifting, vs Tesla's wheel feels heavy and steady. Personal preference.
* Neither Drive mode or Regen mode are saved so need to change every time when car starts. I only like to drive in Sports mode with i-pedal, as I found the other modes too slow. Annoying.
* Have to hit start / stop button like ICE car. Not just that, have to hit the start button with brake to fully turn on the car, otherwise only screen turns on. Feel just like ICE car, why?
* No phone as key! Annoying having to go back to using key fob. There's nothing futuristic about this
* Wired AppleCar play. Again, dumb. Having to keep wiring up phone every time when i go in and out it gets really annoying. Yes Tesla doesn't have CarPlay, but it's UI is miles better that i never thought i need it.
* This brings me to built-in Navigation / Map. Mess and outdated are the 2 words I can think of it, comparing to Tesla. Inputs are slow, look up are slow, the auto suggestions are bad and i need to almost enjoy full street address to find my own house. Maps feel very 2010ish, but something you expect to see and feel in 2022.
* Cruise control. I don't know, I'm not a big fan, and i feel it is overly complicated. One button to turn on cruise control, one button to turn on lane keeping, and 3rd button to turn on steering assitance. Then you have adjustment buttons for max speed and another button for car length. I mean it's fine and you get used to it, but it's very confusing for first time user. I like Tesla's implementation much better.
* Cruise control again. I feel the car drifts too much left and right trying to keep in the center of the lane, vs Tesla just very steady and assuring that it doesn't drift back and forth. Also in bigger turns I feel the car overcompensates turning way too much than what a normal person would do. It actually drove onto the lane a few times in only a short about of times i used it. Don't have a lot of confidence in the system just yet, especially if there are cars on both sides and with curvy road.
* Interior. I know a lot of review praising the interior quality and feel of I5. But to me, getting in the first time I already feel that quality is inferior. Sure it has all the buttons and gadgets, but it feels like, how to stay this, if you were to buy luxury car brands like BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Lexus, you are choosing the lowest trim level option of those cars without any add-ons. That's how i feel in I5, even though it's the highest Limited trim. It just feels cheap, you wouldn't mistake it with luxury.
* Backseat. It's smaller than Model Y in the backseat. And because Model Y seats are raised, there are tons of space where you can fit your feet under the seats. Not so with I5. It does recline more so that's a nice option.
* Storage and trunk space. Not even close to Model Y. It is very small in comparison due to missing the subtrunk, missing frunk, and taper design that the storage is very limited. Try buying 2 cases of water from costco and it's almost already full.
* UI and software. Tesla is just miles ahead and it's not even remotely close. Ioniq 5 feels lIke traditional ICE company tries to do EV where as Tesla feels very futuristic.
- No onboard camera! Inexcusable for a 2022 EV that has all types of computers and chips. Big miss.

Just my opinions. I know i have a lot of criticism above but I5 really is a good car and a very good attempt for Hyundai. If tesla doesn’t exist we would all be singing it’s praises. Just unfortunate that at this price level over 57k it will need to be compared to the best of the best and to me it comes up short. Hope this helps!

Pros of I5

* Very spacious front seat, espcially like the extra space in the center. Anyone with dog that likes to ride in front will appreciate the space
* Looks different. Very subjective. I think it looks fine/futuristic, I've asked a few and some said it's ugly.
- HUD is very nice. Tesla should have it. But it doesn’t integrate with CarPlay so if you use maps on the phone you won’t see turn by turn in HUD.

* Car feels big, floaty, and with long wheel base, it has a large turning radius. You are not going to mistaken this with driving a Tesla, where it feels closer to the ground, more connected to the car, and just overall very nimble to drive and navigate the street and turning the corners. The difference is huge.
* Acceleration. Talking strictly in sports mode, it's pretty quick 0-60 in 5 seconds-ish. It's pretty impressive if not comparing to Tesla. But Telsa gives you that super gravity pull that is very addicting.
* Wheels feel light and shifting, vs Tesla's wheel feels heavy and steady. Personal preference.
* Neither Drive mode or Regen mode are saved so need to change every time when car starts. I only like to drive in Sports mode with i-pedal, as I found the other modes too slow. Annoying.
* Have to hit start / stop button like ICE car. Not just that, have to hit the start button with brake to fully turn on the car, otherwise only screen turns on. Feel just like ICE car, why?
* No phone as key! Annoying having to go back to using key fob. There's nothing futuristic about this
* Wired AppleCar play. Again, dumb. Having to keep wiring up phone every time when i go in and out it gets really annoying. Yes Tesla doesn't have CarPlay, but it's UI is miles better that i never thought i need it.
* This brings me to built-in Navigation / Map. Mess and outdated are the 2 words I can think of it, comparing to Tesla. Inputs are slow, look up are slow, the auto suggestions are bad and i need to almost enjoy full street address to find my own house. Maps feel very 2010ish, but something you expect to see and feel in 2022.
* Cruise control. I don't know, I'm not a big fan, and i feel it is overly complicated. One button to turn on cruise control, one button to turn on lane keeping, and 3rd button to turn on steering assitance. Then you have adjustment buttons for max speed and another button for car length. I mean it's fine and you get used to it, but it's very confusing for first time user. I like Tesla's implementation much better.
* Cruise control again. I feel the car drifts too much left and right trying to keep in the center of the lane, vs Tesla just very steady and assuring that it doesn't drift back and forth. Also in bigger turns I feel the car overcompensates turning way too much than what a normal person would do. It actually drove onto the lane a few times in only a short about of times i used it. Don't have a lot of confidence in the system just yet, especially if there are cars on both sides and with curvy road.
* Interior. I know a lot of review praising the interior quality and feel of I5. But to me, getting in the first time I already feel that quality is inferior. Sure it has all the buttons and gadgets, but it feels like, how to stay this, if you were to buy luxury car brands like BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Lexus, you are choosing the lowest trim level option of those cars without any add-ons. That's how i feel in I5, even though it's the highest Limited trim. It just feels cheap, you wouldn't mistake it with luxury.
* Backseat. It's smaller than Model Y in the backseat. And because Model Y seats are raised, there are tons of space where you can fit your feet under the seats. Not so with I5. It does recline more so that's a nice option.
* Storage and trunk space. Not even close to Model Y. It is very small in comparison due to missing the subtrunk, missing frunk, and taper design that the storage is very limited. Try buying 2 cases of water from costco and it's almost already full.
* UI and software. Tesla is just miles ahead and it's not even remotely close. Ioniq 5 feels lIke traditional ICE company tries to do EV where as Tesla feels very futuristic.
- No onboard camera! Inexcusable for a 2022 EV that has all types of computers and chips. Big miss.

Just my opinions. I know i have a lot of criticism above but I5 really is a good car and a very good attempt for Hyundai. If tesla doesn’t exist we would all be singing it’s praises. Just unfortunate that at this price level over 57k it will need to be compared to the best of the best and to me it comes up short. Hope this helps!
Excellent review. You hit all of the points! There is a lot to love and a typical ICE buyer would be in heaven.

The two that made me sell mine were.
* Cruise control. I don't know, I'm not a big fan, and i feel it is overly complicated. One button to turn on cruise control, one button to turn on lane-keeping, and 3rd button to turn on steering assistance. Then you have adjustment buttons for max speed and another button for car length. I mean it's fine and you get used to it, but it's very confusing for first-time user. I like Tesla's implementation much better.
* Cruise control again. I feel the car drifts too much left and right trying to keep in the center of the lane, vs Tesla just very steady and assuring that it doesn't drift back and forth. Also in bigger turns, I feel the car overcompensates turning way too much than what a normal person would do. It actually drove onto the lane a few times in only a short about of times i used it. Don't have a lot of confidence in the system just yet, especially if there are cars on both sides and with a curvy road. (I ate up some grass with it.)

Like you, I couldn't trust this car and too many damn conflicting buttons. Mine is now in Texas.
We've been spoiled~!

And experiences with supercharging would be interesting to share.
Supercharging with Electrify America was quite simple. Download the app, enter a few items and you flash your phone at the charger for FREE Charging for two years, a real plus. Sweet to go from 10% to 80% in 18 minutes. Smokin'
Another plus. Miles on the screen are real miles, NOT Tesla miles. They actually underrepresent. State 256 and actual was 264.

Pros of I5

Keep an eye out for the 12 volt battery in the Ioniq 5 for some reason there is a phantom drain that is killing the battery. Hyundai has yet to find the problem and they are just swapping out batteries with new ones in the meantime. Maybe keep a portable jump stater in the car for backup until recall or OTA update is sent out.

Keep an eye out for the 12 volt battery in the Ioniq 5 for some reason there is a phantom drain that is killing the battery. Hyundai has yet to find the problem and they are just swapping out batteries with new ones in the meantime. Maybe keep a portable jump stater in the car for backup until recall or OTA update is sent out.

Also there's the issue with their coolant change interval and stupid high cost.

A complete coolant flush requires 13 liters for a Kona EV with heat pump. So we are talking about at least $350 + taxes for just the coolant.

Was helping a friend find an Ioniq5 in SoCal and it has become an absolute nightmare. No dealers within a 500mi radius is willing to sell at MSRP. The lowest price was $3000 market adjustment (markup). The whole dealership model is just so outdated and slow. It is really too bad legacy brands can't just let you order online and be done with it in 5 minutes like Tesla.
You pay $3,000 more, and will have a car today to enjoy for the next 8 months before you can get your hands on the Tesla. That 8 months is worth the $3,000.

Pros of I5

Nice writeup! im planning to test drive one soon when I got half a day off. Just need to find a dealer in the Bay Area that has one.

hows the Hyundai app? we all know how great Tesla app is. Its a big NO NO if the app sucks with today EV tech.

Good! quick equal to FUN! Not liked the ID4 I tested. Another reason im not interested in the Toyota or Subaru new EVs.

I heard about this. So dumb! Hope Hyundai can fix this with their OTA. Do they do OTA?

Yup, I loved how u can just walk up to a Tesla and open the door, seat inside, apply brake, ur personal seat and wheel setting kick in and you just drive. Put in PARK and just open the door and walk away. Thats how all EV should be. Again, the futuristic feel!

I guess this is not any better than the ID4. Yea, software is very important!

Yup, Tesla AP is still years ahead. Not even talking about FSD!

I guess my wife and kid won't approve the I5.

Till this day, I don't get why other legacy don't copy a little more from Tesla. You know what sell, what consumers are looking for. How hard it is to give us a decent frunk. U don't have a engine in front. why can't they figure this out. lol

*Just my opinions. I know i have a lot of criticism above but I5 really is a good car and a very good attempt for Hyundai. If tesla doesn’t exist we would all be singing it’s praises. Just unfortunate that at this price level over 57k it will need to be compared to the best of the best and to me it comes up short.

Thx again for your writeup. Totally agreed with you. If Tesla doesn't exist, the I5 would be a great car. For 57k, it makes the 63k LR Y a great deal. For those who lock their LR for 58k ish, its a no brainer which car is better. Even at 63k, u get the SC, AP, OTA, great APP, better software and UI. Its a easy choice for me. :)

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Nice writeup! im planning to test drive one soon when I got half a day off. Just need to find a dealer in the Bay Area that has one.

hows the Hyundai app? we all know how great Tesla app is. Its a big NO NO if the app sucks with today EV tech.

Good! quick equal to FUN! Not liked the ID4 I tested. Another reason im not interested in the Toyota or Subaru new EVs.

I heard about this. So dumb! Hope Hyundai can fix this with their OTA. Do they do OTA?

Yup, I loved how u can just walk up to a Tesla and open the door, seat inside, apply brake, ur personal seat and wheel setting kick in and you just drive. Put in PARK and just open the door and walk away. Thats how all EV should be. Again, the futuristic feel!

I guess this is not any better than the ID4. Yea, software is very important!

Yup, Tesla AP is still years ahead. Not even talking about FSD!

I guess my wife and kid won't approve the I5.

Till this day, I don't get why other legacy don't copy a little more from Tesla. You know what sell, what consumers are looking for. How hard it is to give us a decent frunk. U don't have a engine in front. why can't they figure this out. lol

*Just my opinions. I know i have a lot of criticism above but I5 really is a good car and a very good attempt for Hyundai. If tesla doesn’t exist we would all be singing it’s praises. Just unfortunate that at this price level over 57k it will need to be compared to the best of the best and to me it comes up short.

Thx again for your writeup. Totally agreed with you. If Tesla doesn't exist, the I5 would be a great car. For 57k, it makes the 63k LR Y a great deal. For those who lock their LR for 58k ish, its a no brainer which car is better. Even at 63k, u get the SC, AP, OTA, great APP, better software and UI. Its a easy choice for me. :)
Oh boy the Hyundai App. I rather not use it. It’s rather basic functionality wise but the app looks overly complicated. I literally use it to only lock and unlock door, which brings to me another annoyance:
So I usually like to leave the key inside the car in the garage. I found that if you leave the car unlocked, the Hyundai app periodically and continuously send notification that the door is unlocked. Yes I know I leave it unlocked no need to remind me. I don’t see any option to turn it off. So, I did the next sensible thing that I locked the door using the app. Great. It’s not instantaneous like in Tesla. It’s more of a sending request and then a few seconds or sometimes longer you receive additional notification that it is locked. Fine. I can deal with that. In the morning when I try to go in, I use app to unlock the door. Since the car seems to be sleep mode, it took maybe 4-5 tries and a few minutes for the unlock commands to go through. Kind of annoying. Then I also hit a bug. After I started driving, I noticed the mirrors are still folded. I had to park the car, turn the car off and on again to get the mirrors unfolded. Must be some bugs with the system.
- no OTA or very limited so far. Not something I would expect Hyundai to do anyway. I know they promise it’s coming. I don’t have high hope.
- audio via Bluetooth is ridiculously bad, like really terrible. With wired usb is better, but not sure what the fuse with Bose is all about. Not worth the weight and space it’s taking up in the trunk.
- Map and nav. This is just ridiculous and every time I try using it just makes me more angry. Can you believe in year 2022, the map input is NOT location aware????? Like I enter a local coffee shop it will show up suggestion that’s all over United States. I mean, really???? Inexcusable. Seriously hate this.
- No dog mode but worse, I can’t find a way that leaves car running and lock the door at the same time. I often leaves dogs in the car while I run to get coffee…etc but Hyundai doesn’t allow the doors to be locked while car is running. Kind of annoying. It’s an EV! Stop treating it like ICE.

I’ll keep updating back with my feedback. So far…Ioniq 5 falls way short if you are used to tesla. Hope this helps!

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Thx buddy! Love it. I’m pretty sure some or most of us here are investors and want to keep an eye on our so called “competitors”. That’s my reason to keep an close eyes on these others guys and also test drive them. The day I feel liked they caught up or im willing to buy one of their cars, I’ll be worry about my shares. 😬

Yea. If Im going to spend close to a model Y, I need to check most of my boxes. If not , just go after the base model, single motor and commute with it. Hopefully u can get it for MSRP and get the tax credit. If so, u saved easy 20k ish and there’s no complaints. Lol

Last edited:
Ok, I got through all 8 pages (set at 20 a page)

Page 1
======

Availability: Thankfully TX is on the list (which it wasn't for the Kona EV)

Markups: I've found places that don't add markups

On the road: I've only seen one in the wild so far, and when we went to the dealership yesterday to look at the 8 their website said thy had, all 8 were sold and only one was left in the prep area. We did get a good look at that one thought. Very interesting

Sandy Munro: yes I'll look for that link. I watched all the MY ones; very interesting

Heat pump and BTMS: food for thought there, though I'd be looking at a Limited one if possible

Hyundai as a brand: I don't see a problem. My sister has a Picanto and likes is. Just bought another Hyundai. I would have thought the warranty made up for any shortcomings. Lots of the problems listed in this thread seem to be for ICE Hyundais

Page 2
======

Supercharger network: Is this really a problem if you only drive locally - plus if you take it on a trip, is it really that difficult to find a non-tesla charging station?

No room in the back seat: Not really a problem as there are only two of us. Glamping might be a problem though, but then again I have several tents

Storage: yes it probably is (slightly) smaller on the inside. The Y is VERY good for that

Ioniq and 250 miles - this thread is for the Ioniq5 (stupid naming convention) which has 303 range (allegedly)

Page 3
======

Markup: That's more related to the dealer than to the vehicle

Page 4
======

Frunk: When I looked yesterday, there wasn't a frunk. I opened the hood and it looked like it was all enginey sort of things in there, though there was somethign that you could open. However peering under the sides of it, it didn't looke like a storage area, just more tech stuff

Warranty: It took 4 pages to mention this? 10/100 is pretty amazing plsu complimentary maintenance ... and who doesn't like receiving compliments?

Page 5
======

One pedal braking: I saw the paddles, thought they were for tiptronic, but now I remember the Ioniq (not the Ioniq5) used them to facilitate one-ppedal driving

HOV lane: I looked here in Texas once and EVs don't get you a free ticket into the HOV lane ... not that anyone seems to care about HOV rules here anyway grrrrrrrr

Auto pilot: Not an issue here as the wife won't use whatever is supplied anyway :(