Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 350 KW charging possible for current model 3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So jealous seeing these numbers. We are looking at buying a 2020 Nissan Leaf e-plus with the 62 KWH battery to replace the wife’s car. Then we will be a 2 Leaf family. One that charges at 50 KW and one that charges at 100 KW. Sigh. The existing Tesla 120 would be a dream.

Back to dreaming.

I've seen used Model S for $31k, 85kwh battery and unlimited free forever 120kw Supercharging.

We like the model S. Took a p90d for a test drive last year. Wow. Unfortunately too big for our garage, bigger than Angela wants,

Thanks for the info though. We are in Canada (BC) so it has to be a Canadian Car. We can afford a model 3 AWD non performance model but model 3’s don’t have Chademo or CCS compatability so are fairly limited in where they can go up here. A narrow band along the Trans Canada highway and no where else. Chademo/CCS buildout is really good here and growing fast.

We have some time. Things may change in the next 10 months. In the meantime, back to dreaming.

Last edited:
Taycan prototype achieves 400kw charge rate, (900V at 500A, WOW!) I wonder how long it stayed above 350kw as they do not talk about that, would be nice to see the charge curve.

Porsche electric car prototype achieves new record 400 kW charge rate
Just remember that the prototype shown is different than what they will deliver in the Taycan. I expect the Taycan to top out around 240kW on those 350kW stations. The Taycan is still impressive, but they must have chosen to use high power cells instead of high energy cells like Tesla uses. That choice increases their cost per kWh.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
That choice increases their cost per kWh.
Ding! Well that and increases space used for batteries and cooling.

The Porsche nameplate takes care of the first, just start the base model at $80K and never really sell that "stripper" config. :) The second part is taken car of by not using the extra interior design room made available by an EV drivetrain for cabin room, rather upping the battery space used and relying on customers being used to the lesser space in an ICE.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
new ccs adapter on X and S?

Tesla’s CCS adapter enables Model S and X to charge up 120 kW, will not be standard [Updated]

i have a hard time seeing how we can't make this work on a model 3. i guess tesla doesn't want to
My understanding is that it isn't required on the Model 3, they come with it built in, as mentioned in the article.

It obviously won't work as-is in NA, because CCS in Europe has a different format plug than North America (Type 2, rather than the Type 1 here).

new ccs adapter on X and S?

Tesla’s CCS adapter enables Model S and X to charge up 120 kW, will not be standard [Updated]

i have a hard time seeing how we can't make this work on a model 3. i guess tesla doesn't want to

Because that is a Type 2 CCS to Tesla Type 2 adapter. Neither side will fit in the US. (You can't plug it into a Model 3 or hook it to a EvGo, Electrify America, or any other NA CCS charger.)

You need a Type 1 CCS to US Tesla adapter.

Aren't standards great?

And again I find another opportune thread to post this...

standards.png

For whatever *sugar* talking Porsche wants to do, my Model 3 at 110v 8 amp is charging faster than a Taycan. ;)

Until we see real world data, supercharging network, and BATTERY WARRANTY/TERMS/CONDITIONS

potential and an empty sack is worth an empty sack.
I'm thinking solid state battery tech, and a pricetag to match it but who knows... But there are other battery tricks.

Maybe they are using smaller cells that cap off faster, and just use twice as many, thus splitting the voltage makes sense? What I mean is an 18350 charges much faster to 100% than an 18650, but typically has 1/2 the capacity or less. But if you put twice as many (or whatever the calculated amount is) then with double the voltage you could charge them up faster assuming their C rating is the same as an 18650. Then you either need motors that can handle the extra voltage, or have some way to flip a switch and run them in parallel, but charge individually (I'm sure it's clusters but you get the idea).

I think Super capacitors are the next tech we will see integrated with lithium battery tech for longer term storage. Caps can charge really fast, and then your just going to get in the car and use the power up right away anyways so no need to store it. This could really help for long distance travel.

Last edited:
Going to 800 volts is a whole other level in the electrical equipment industry. 600 volts is kind of a transition point. a lot of stuff is rated around there. 240 vac yields peak voltages of about 350 v. above and below ground. The current superchargers are at 400 vdc and 300 amps and they just get by without active cooling of the cables. So far safety has been good. As an electrical engineer I worry a lot more about 800 volts and 350 kw delivery rates in the hands of the average driver. As far as super capacitors go, that's even more challenging. Energy sources that can release energy quickly are hazardous. There are somewhere around 50 car fires a day in the US. Fast energy releasers are called "Bombs".