Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anybody creeped out passing a truck on AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just used my AP 1 last night for the first time, and the only tense situations were going past a big semi truck on the interstate. The car stayed smack in the middle of the lane and dangerously close to the truck. I could barely resist the temptation to take over and pull the car away from the truck. Can it be that I'm the only one? In all this time that AP 1 has been out, has no one complained to Tesla that the car needs to bias toward the side of the lane away from the truck when passing one?

And while we're talking about first impressions. Is it accepted that AP generally acts a split second after a person would take any given action? A few times I found myself almost taking over because I thought the car wasn't going to take a needed action before the car finally did it. Or is it that when I'm about to take an action driving, I feel the action I'm going to take before actually needed to do it, and I'm missing that prior reaction because it's the car that's doing the action?

Just used my AP 1 last night for the first time, and the only tense situations were going past a big semi truck on the interstate. The car stayed smack in the middle of the lane and dangerously close to the truck. I could barely resist the temptation to take over and pull the car away from the truck. Can it be that I'm the only one? In all this time that AP 1 has been out, has no one complained to Tesla that the car needs to bias toward the side of the lane away from the truck when passing one?

There are many posts about this. In fact, many people have reported that at times the Tesla seems to move closer to the truck's lane.

Try searching "truck lust."

I noticed something different w/ my AP yesterday on several occasions. When 18 - wheeler passed me from behind on the right, rear corner sensors lit up red easily and car moved to most left side of lane. This happened several times during a 100 miles commute. I was in the most left lane of 3 lane hwy w/ dense traffic. When I moved to middle lane, I still received sensor warnings but car stayed center. Does AP know there's a shoulder next to me and intentionally moves me for extra safety margin? Idk, but it occurred the same on several occasions

I noticed something different w/ my AP yesterday on several occasions. When 18 - wheeler passed me from behind on the right, rear corner sensors lit up red easily and car moved to most left side of lane. This happened several times during a 100 miles commute. I was in the most left lane of 3 lane hwy w/ dense traffic. When I moved to middle lane, I still received sensor warnings but car stayed center. Does AP know there's a shoulder next to me and intentionally moves me for extra safety margin? Idk, but it occurred the same on several occasions

How does a Tesla driver get passed on the right by an 18-wheeler? Are you foolishly obeying the speed limit? :)

The truck lust was severe last year when AP1 first started. It has gotten much better with the recent updates. I always think the car should pull away from trucks at least 12-18 inches but have never seen the car do it. At least it stays in the center of the lane most of the time now instead of trying to drive under the truck the way it did last summer.

No creepiness but usually come off AP when approaching a rig or group of rigs because of a consistent effort to minimize time spent near large 18-wheelers with or without my AP1 engaged. Large rigs in my area engage in considerable unsafe driving tactics typically associated with NASCAR, like "drafting" or tailgating small cars. The rig drivers also have problems staying in the lane. D.C. Metro area would be quite a testbed for fully autonomous driving one day between the potholes and exhausted, stressed out from work drivers.Here the large local rigs and dump trucks also seem to throw lots of rocks and often have exploding bald tires. Always amazed at the lack of tread I see on local trucks when at the stoplight. The emphasis here seems to be on easy money speed traps and not actual public safety. The truck crashes here usually completely shut down the interstate highways.

Last edited:
We need a sticky on truck lust. @Jrogville - use ap for a couple weeks then get back to us how you feel. also post what version you're on. i can't live without personally but it did freak me out mightily the first few days
It should be the latest version, I just did an update night before last. I'm not at the car right now, but the mobile app says Version: 17.6.15. Does that the version number you're looking for?

It should be the latest version, I just did an update night before last. I'm not at the car right now, but the mobile app says Version: 17.6.15. Does that the version number you're looking for?

That is the correct number.

You should add your information to the Firmware Update Tracker here: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

You can also get excellent information there with respect to past and current updates.

You'll need several hundred miles to establish your driving relationship with the car.

The truck lane bias is a frequent topic with polarizing views from outright lust to perception only. One thing is for sure, it's rare that an 18 wheeler is locked dead center in their lane fending off all drift, wind, aversions, distractions etc. When near large trucks of any kind, my hands are on my wheel and my eyes are on their wheels. Which reminds me, I am really disliking those oversized, spiked, chromed-out hubs that are getting way too popular. In many cases they extend outside the fender frame.

Reactions: Austral
No creepiness but usually come off AP when approaching a rig or group of rigs because of a consistent effort to minimize time spent near large 18-wheelers with or without my AP1 engaged. Large rigs in my area engage in considerable unsafe driving tactics typically associated with NASCAR, like "drafting" or tailgating small cars. The rig drivers also have problems staying in the lane. D.C. Metro area would be quite a testbed for fully autonomous driving one day between the potholes and exhausted, stressed out from work drivers.Here the large local rigs and dump trucks also seem to throw lots of rocks and often have exploding bald tires. Always amazed at the lack of tread I see on local trucks when at the stoplight. The emphasis here seems to be on easy money speed traps and not actual public safety. The truck crashes here usually completely shut down the interstate highways.

you just described my recent 100 mile commute mentioned above, driving from NJ to DC

Reactions: Austral
Yesterday, I was fiddling with the two stalks and had to brake quick to avoid hitting the car in front of me. Does collision avoidance only work when AP is engaged? If not, why wouldn't it work to avoid a low speed collision? Is it okay to have a crash as long as it's not a bad one?