TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

is anyone pulling a horse trailer

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Gregkeys, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

my wife and I test drove a MX recently, when she found out it could potentially haul her horses around it suddenly became a possibility for us to get one.

is anyone using their MX to haul horses, can you tell me a little about your experience.

2. Pando

Pando Member

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

This could be a very good use case for the Model X if you towing is all local. You should easily be able to get a 2 horse trailer and two average horses in there with a bit of gear under 5,000 GVW.

As long as your total distance is not more than about 130-150 miles, depending on elevation, it should be OK.

• Like x 1
  4. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

@aesculus thanks for the reply, that's exactly what she wanted to hear.

We currently have a dodge dually with a huge 3 horse trailer which is such a chore to utilize that she doesn't really get to go riding anywhere except on our own property, unless she prepares for a big excursion.

We're hoping that the MX might change all that and lead to many early morning rides on local trails. We are planning to get something like a featherlight trailer (roughly 1800 lbs) with our 2 horses (1200lbs and 1000lbs) the total weight should be around 4000lbs which should give us some wiggle room for gear, like you said.

Have you or any one hauled horses with the MX? We are wondering how it handles stopping, swaying, the unpredictable movements of the horses etc...

5. HookBill

HookBill Member

A horse, a horse?
    Of course, of course.

• Funny x 1
  6. ABCD

ABCD Member

Not a horse, but it pulls my 21' (4300lb) ski boat much smoother than my GMC..the funny thing is the X is so quiet in comparison that you can now hear all the creaks and groans from the tow hitch and trailer that it's a little freaky. Only issue is the range impact...but if 100+ miles has got you covered than should be good

7. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

I just bought some lithium grease today to put on our hitch ball and anti-sway arms while pulling our trailer. We were out practicing backing maneuvers yesterday, and the groans and creaks were loud. Pulls like a dream though.

8. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Did that with my camper once ... and only once. My next time out the trailer swayed back and forth in one situation very very badly. Normally it was fine but that sure makes it sway when it did sway. I'd suggested rubbing it with light sand paper instead (100 or 220 grit) instead of superlubing it.