Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is buying a Model S still worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This AP 20 hardware is definitely raising a lot of questions. I saw this raised many times. When seeing the interview of Elon stating "we re going to do the obvious thing" "we re going to have an event at the end of the year".. It seems to validate the claims of many that new hardware will come up. And the roadmap of their suppliers (Mobileye) seems to suggest something will happen too.

I wish at a minimum Elon musk would clarify whether existing model s can be retro fitted at a descent cost

I don't think many people doubt that AP2 will be coming along eventually, but there seems to be little but speculation and, perhaps,
a bit of wishful thinking to support a conclusion of "soon" (a.k.a. on the horizon). As you move up the autonomy curve (1-4) the difficulty increases exponentially (and I'm not being hyperbolic), and the last thing Tesla wants to do is put out a more autonomous AP that
doesn't work (perhaps in alarming or even dangerous ways) and gives the whole move toward greater autonomy a bad name.
Arguably, even AP1.0 could have used more testing before being released.
My main concern is that people "waiting for AP2.0" will miss out on significantly more months or years of perfectly great Tesla
owning/driving experience than they expected. If there were a publicly promised release date, that'd be an entirely different matter,
but as it is people are waiting for something that the provider has no commitment to provide (in any specific time frame).

Get the best Tesla you can afford right now... even in its current state my 'classic' 85D and AP 1.0 far exceed anything else on the road and have completely changed the way I view transportation (I really really really enjoy driving now). If you keep waiting on the next best thing (AP 2.0, 100 kWh, etc) you will miss out on owning/driving the best car in the world...

I don't think many people doubt that AP2 will be coming along eventually, but there seems to be little but speculation and, perhaps,
a bit of wishful thinking to support a conclusion of "soon" (a.k.a. on the horizon). As you move up the autonomy curve (1-4) the difficulty increases exponentially (and I'm not being hyperbolic), and the last thing Tesla wants to do is put out a more autonomous AP that
doesn't work (perhaps in alarming or even dangerous ways) and gives the whole move toward greater autonomy a bad name.
Arguably, even AP1.0 could have used more testing before being released.
My main concern is that people "waiting for AP2.0" will miss out on significantly more months or years of perfectly great Tesla
owning/driving experience than they expected. If there were a publicly promised release date, that'd be an entirely different matter,
but as it is people are waiting for something that the provider has no commitment to provide (in any specific time frame).
So your caution was to not to hope for Santa under the tree? tame your expectations? I was thinking you were saying that trying to buy a ap2 wiring harness on a Sept Model S would be a bad bet. Did I understand your caution as you meant?
now- I do understand that the software is underdevelopment and that the advancing from level 2 to level 3 is a big step, and that to level 4 may not happen for many years. Got it. But what I am considering is that it would be easier for the factory to install sensors that are likely the final design - than to retrofit after. Even if they install the wrong camera, it would be easier to R&R than to install new. but then you cautioned...
I think we are saying the same thing ....if I did not slip.

The longer AP2.0 takes, the more it has me thinking that I will probably just keep my current Classic S and make my Model 3 reservation a fully loaded one. I still really like my car and after having an AP loaner for 5 days, with a lot of highway driving, I don't miss having AP that much. I was going to get a Model 3 to replace my Leaf but with the hit I will take on my car, and now knowing the Model 3 will have Supercharging and Ludicrous mode, I'm thinking my S will replace the Leaf and the Model 3 will become my daily driver. It will be nice to have a smaller car to zip around town in.

OK wdolson---I'm on the fence about buying the MS60 that just went on-sale. The hold up is...can this new car, being delivered in Sept, be outfitted with hardware capable of the AP2 on the horizon. Can they install the hardware, even if the software is not ready? You strongly suggested "yes". Its now June 10 - any changes in your thoughts? [would this upgrade just happen, or would I need to beg/pay for it?]

Everything at this point is just speculation, but if Tesla has a pretty good idea what the hardware will be for AP 2, they could build in the wiring and not hook it up. The sensor suite in the bumpers is the toughest thing to get in there, but the AP1 cars probably have enough bumper sensors for AP 2.

I do think it is in Tesla's best interest to get as many cars out there driving with AP2 before the Model 3 enters production. If they introduce AP2 this fall, that gives them about a year to build AP2 cars before the Model 3 hits the streets, but upgrading as many older cars would also help that cause.

Tesla is hard to predict. Sometimes they haven't done some things that I think would be obvious and they have done some things I thought were low probability. With the schematic out there, it looks like there is a good possibility the cars being built now have at least the wiring for AP2 if not some of the hardware, which does lead to the possibility they plan to upgrade recent AP1 cars when AP2 comes out.

In the end, I don't know. I'm still trying to get completely comfortable with AP1. I drove to Olympia, WA and back today and there were a few things, that were ultimately my fault.

The longer AP2.0 takes, the more it has me thinking that I will probably just keep my current Classic S and make my Model 3 reservation a fully loaded one. I still really like my car and after having an AP loaner for 5 days, with a lot of highway driving, I don't miss having AP that much. I was going to get a Model 3 to replace my Leaf but with the hit I will take on my car, and now knowing the Model 3 will have Supercharging and Ludicrous mode, I'm thinking my S will replace the Leaf and the Model 3 will become my daily driver. It will be nice to have a smaller car to zip around town in.
I have a similar plan. My 2012 Signature S85 is my daly driver and I absolutely love it. I've had loaner P85Ds with AP and yes that is very cool too. I reserved my Model 3 as soon as internet reservations opened (watching the live event) and I'm confident that buying even an early serial number 3 with all the goodies I want will give me the best of both worlds: Classic S85 and latest tech E.

Reactions: Canuck
Regarding the AP2 stuff, I think the same advice that applies for computers applies here: buy what you need, when you need it. If you can afford to wait, next year's thing will be better. But you won't have it for another year.

AP1 is already pretty great. Just saying.
Also, just because the hardware will be on the car doesn't mean the software will be ready anytime soon. Look how long it took to get AP1 software. You may need to add 2 years on top of that.

Reactions: jgs
Also, just because the hardware will be on the car doesn't mean the software will be ready anytime soon. Look how long it took to get AP1 software. You may need to add 2 years on top of that.
I agree but the software will be available OTA. No need to trade in the car at a $35k+ loss to get it. If I am going to spend so much on the car I would rather keep it at least 5 or 6 years.

• Informative
Reactions: Beryl
Don't think of cars as investments,, at least of the financial kind, On those terms they're all losers to one degree or another. But if you want to make a commitment to the future of the planet, clean energy, the end of fossils fuels, the joys of owing and driving a Tesla, the Model S or Model 3 will provide singular value. If these things are imortant to you, the sooner you get behind the wheel of a Tesla the better.

Have you thought about buying Tesla Model S facelift? As far as I read in an article on Automobilesreview, the vehicle comes with recently introduced autopilot capabilities, which allows owners to call their car from the phone so it can come to them. You can read more about the other additions on: Tesla Model S Significantly Updated! Comes Out with New Face .

Did I fall down a black hole? The facelift happened over 1 1/2 years ago and this thread has been dead since June 2016.

I pulled the trigger now to get the $1k referral (purchased before october 31st) and the tax credit. No regrets even if they change the interior and upgrade the auto pilot computer. Reasons being number 1 I think FSD is still a ways away. Second I personally really like the current interior. Seats are great, I like no door pockets (I like a clean car). Lighted mirrors are nice but not worth $7500 I would lose by not getting the tax credit. Really enjoying this car.

Reactions: Blu Zap
I made a Model 3 reservation, but then test drove an X and an S on a trip to Dallas in July... and I was hooked. I bought an inventory S90D at a significant discount (they were getting rid of all the inventory 90s), and got delivery in August. What a great car! I really appreciate the ~ 45 min a day I spend driving it each day. I would have had to wait at least a year to get a Model S, which is at least a year of missing out on that enjoyment every day. Talk about 'chill' mode - my commute has become my escape.

My favorite things: I love the effortless acceleration so I can maneuver into places in traffic with fewer cars around me. I love the 'techie' experience of being an early (relatively) adopter, and of getting updates every few weeks. And I love never going to the gas station. And the car is fantastic.

The S is definitely a large vehicle. That just makes me all the happier to be doing something good for the environment.