Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it ok to supercharge more than one time in a day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

tony26

I want to start going on some trips, but I see I'd have to supercharge it twice in one day. When I bought the model 3 the Tesla guy who took me to my car said only supercharge it once a week, if that to help keep the battery happy. Are people using Tesla's to travel, the guy kind of freaked me out to be honest.

I want my battery to last but I don't want to have to keep renting a car to travel with.

I want to start going on some trips, but I see I'd have to supercharge it twice in one day. When I bought the model 3 the Tesla guy who took me to my car said only supercharge it once a week, if that to help keep the battery happy. Are people using Tesla's to travel, the guy kind of freaked me out to be honest.

I want my battery to last but I don't want to have to keep renting a car to travel with.
I’ve done 1100 miles in a day which required something like 9 or 10 supercharging stops. It is fine.

Yeah …. Here’s my battery level for my 525 mile drive home from visiting grandkids a couple weeks ago. The peaks are supercharging stops.

515CA28B-71D9-4B04-BEA2-82A1CD76CD4D.jpeg

I drove from Maine to Colorado, 2200miles, got there in 3 days, supercharged 20x. When I went home, took a different route, 2400miles, and supercharged 22x in 3 days. My battery is still happy. My model started with 310 EPA-rated miles, and still has about 310 rated miles. Supercharge when you need to.

IMG_7058.jpeg

Reactions: LoudMusic and Regaj
Drove from Vancouver to Sam Diego in two days in December. Supercharged every 140 miles - something like 14 times in the span of 2 days. Charged frequently due to temps and also to maximize supercharging efficiency. Car did great! No change in battery range (increased a few miles actually, prob bc battery better balanced after the trip)

40k miles and still a battery capacity of 81kWh? What size battery did that thing come with? 310 rated miles with a 81kWh battery? Something sounds out of wack!
Started with 77.8kWh and shows capacity loss as soon as it goes below 76kWh for the 2018/2019 LR-pack vehicles.

@KenC has a very very special pack. It is kept in a specially designed cryochamber, also known as Maine.

It’s fine. I had a model x with free supercharging. Tesla published data showing supercharging makes no difference to battery health or degradation.

My colleague would supercharge two/three times per day. In four years he covered around 100,000 miles. I did 36000. I supercharged once a week.

My battery degraded faster than his. He regularly charged to 100% often ran it 0%.

My current model y only has 7000 miles on it. But the battery degradation is higher charging at home and doing short trips. When I take a longer run (over 50 miles) battery health improves slightly.

It just seems to like a good consistent discharge for health. The charging part seems less important.

So I would say have at it! The trip is good for battery health and your car delivery person isn’t the person to listen to.

I use an app called “Stats” which displays battery health data so you can track the effect yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
the battery degration thing is overhyped by people who pretend to be experts

i have friends with 5-9 year old teslas who forgot more about technology then these people learned in their lifetimes who admit there is SOME degrading of the battery but it is very minimal as in 20-25 less miles. in 3 years driving a tesla i have been under 40 miles left twice

• Funny
Reactions: ewoodrick and KenC
Thank you all for the advice, I would have to totally agree, my Tesla advisor did not know what he was talking about when he gave me the advice he gave me. Thanks again.

I want to start going on some trips, but I see I'd have to supercharge it twice in one day. When I bought the model 3 the Tesla guy who took me to my car said only supercharge it once a week, if that to help keep the battery happy.
As with what others have said, the person who told you that simply does not know what they are talking about. 5 years ago when I was doing some consulting out at the GF, I asked the Panasonic battery engineers about this when I got my new MX. I travel long distances (hundreds of miles) on regular trips. Several of them told me it is not a problem, just try to not charge to 95% or 100% and leave the car sitting for very long periods of time.

So here I am 5 years later with that car, it has had 412 supercharges of 90% or greater during that time and often there would be 3 or more such charges every day. My battery range started out at 302 miles fully charged when new, and now it goes to 278 miles fully charged, so better than average. According to those guys, that is a little better than average.

I'm going to guess that you have the Model 3 RWD. If so you have the LFP battery.
What the Tesla guy was probably trying to say is to make sure you charge to 100% at least once a week.

No restriction supercharging as many times as you want as others have said.

40k miles and still a battery capacity of 81kWh? What size battery did that thing come with? 310 rated miles with a 81kWh battery? Something sounds out of wack!
Well, presumably it came with 77.8kWh. Stats is doing its own thing. No one really knows how big the pack was, but a 2018 should be around 78kWh. According to SMT, my pack is still around 75.8kWh. When I got the SMT and dongle in the Summer, it read about 76.4kWh, so it's definitely going down.
IMG_6994.jpeg

As with what others have said, the person who told you that simply does not know what they are talking about. 5 years ago when I was doing some consulting out at the GF, I asked the Panasonic battery engineers about this when I got my new MX. I travel long distances (hundreds of miles) on regular trips. Several of them told me it is not a problem, just try to not charge to 95% or 100% and leave the car sitting for very long periods of time.

So here I am 5 years later with that car, it has had 412 supercharges of 90% or greater during that time and often there would be 3 or more such charges every day. My battery range started out at 302 miles fully charged when new, and now it goes to 278 miles fully charged, so better than average. According to those guys, that is a little better than average.
Thank you for letting me know about your story. Yes, the guy who told me that did not know what he was talking about. Kind of scared me to be honest . But it's not the truth as you have said you have supercharged your car a lot.

I'm going to guess that you have the Model 3 RWD. If so you have the LFP battery.
What the Tesla guy was probably trying to say is to make sure you charge to 100% at least once a week.

No restriction supercharging as many times as you want as others have said.
Actually it's a long range model, but I now realize the person at Tesla did not know what he was talking about I guess.