Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it really worth it getting a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Depends. If charging at public chargers is going to be such a stressful thing that one has to create 2 separate threads complaining about it, then probably not:

Attachments

• 1697139497038.png
    1697139497038.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
In my opinion how Tesla has done me wrong no its not. My first issue is that after getting my Tesla Model 3 performance detailed for the first time since I got the car a little over 3 years ago there was an issue. The detailer spotted an air bubble the size of a half dollar. And after trying contacting Tesla service department for the first time about this I was told my car was still under warranty and yes a tesla proved body repair shop can fix this. So when contacting service department again trying to get a body repair shop I get a message that since it's a cosmetic repair that the warranty is only good for 3 months from when I got the car. That doesn't make any sense to me since it's a defect from the manufacturer regardless. I'm still waiting a response from telling them that. Another issue I have is that I've had the car for almost 4 years and the mileage about 33k miles. And when I went to check the value of the car if I were to sell it the price offered was only at a little over $26k. When I go the car the value of the car was a little over $74k. For the value of the car to drop that low with such low mileage confuses me as to why the price offered would be so low with low mileage even though the car is almost 4 years old. This is a model 3 performance with everything on it, auto pilot premium connectivity carbon fiber spoiler, upgraded metal pedals, I mean there is nothing more in the store for me to upgrade. And ilmy car is now valued a little over $26k with only 33k miles. How is that even possible?

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Nah - I'd rather buy a brand other than Tesla because I like the suspense of not knowing whether or not I'll be able to charge while I'm traveling. I also enjoy the adrenaline from haggling with layers of commissioned salespeople at dealerships.

JUST kidding. I bought my first EV and Tesla earlier this year. What a refreshing experience both the vehicle and buying process have been! There's no turning back now.

Upvote 0

That depends on what you want.

This is my opinion which may not be fair:

If you want an EV, beside Nissan Leaf, Tesla has the EV experience.

If you want range, Tesla used to be the leader, now you can get Lucid with 516 miles.

If you want ADAS, look for non-Tesla because Tesla no longer radar nor Ultrasonic Sensors.

If you want traditional signal stalks, look for non-Tesla because Tesla is taking all the stalks away in S, X, 3...

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Upvote 0
Worth it compared to what?

Charging costs and convenience of charging at home is a game changer compared to gas. So that part is definitely worth it. But that’s all EVs, not just Tesla.

I bought mid 2022 and values tanked 6 months later and lost about $18k in equity overnight. So financially speaking it was terrible and definitely not worth it compared to keeping my previous car which has held or increased in value since I sold it end of 2021.

Upvote 0
In my opinion how Tesla has done me wrong no its not. My first issue is that after getting my Tesla Model 3 performance detailed for the first time since I got the car a little over 3 years ago there was an issue. The detailer spotted an air bubble the size of a half dollar. And after trying contacting Tesla service department for the first time about this I was told my car was still under warranty and yes a tesla proved body repair shop can fix this. So when contacting service department again trying to get a body repair shop I get a message that since it's a cosmetic repair that the warranty is only good for 3 months from when I got the car. That doesn't make any sense to me since it's a defect from the manufacturer regardless. I'm still waiting a response from telling them that. Another issue I have is that I've had the car for almost 4 years and the mileage about 33k miles. And when I went to check the value of the car if I were to sell it the price offered was only at a little over $26k. When I go the car the value of the car was a little over $74k. For the value of the car to drop that low with such low mileage confuses me as to why the price offered would be so low with low mileage even though the car is almost 4 years old. This is a model 3 performance with everything on it, auto pilot premium connectivity carbon fiber spoiler, upgraded metal pedals, I mean there is nothing more in the store for me to upgrade. And ilmy car is now valued a little over $26k with only 33k miles. How is that even possible?
Because cars are depreciating assets unless you know which ones to get. Even those that hold or appreciate in value have their own problems - insurance, storage, etc.

What were talking about is not if Tesla is "worth it" but how to resolve your expectations vs. reality.

I was in a similar situation you are. I bought Tesla instead of TSLA. I put that down as tuition fee in the school of hard knocks.

Upvote 0
With regard to price/value, this is what happens when people chose to be an early adopter. Given you bought your Tesla EV four years ago now, overall EV marketshare was literally around 1% of the market, or very early adopter by the numbers no matter how you look at it. In Q3 2023 - EV marketshare just hit 7.9% some four years later, meaning we're still in early adopter timeframes big picture. This is not a mature market, pricing isn't mature, manufacturing isn't mature, literally everything is still changing constantly. Those constant major changes influence things like pricing, quality of goods, etc. If you don't want to be an early adopter, go buy an ICE vehicle - as that is a mature marketplace with established pricing and quality in comparison - though one could argue that the ICE market is now entering the declining phase of the business cycle due to the emergence of the BEV marketplace.

We bought our MY LR in March 2023, and strictly from a price standpoint, given the recent price drops for the MY, we've lost a fair amount of value if we were to sell the vehicle today, and it's only six months old. I knew this full well going into this vehicle purchase, but we don't plan to sell this vehicle or trade it in until we're approaching the 8yr/120k mile battery warranty expiration period - at which point we'll evaluate how to proceed. Prices will continue to fall over time as the cost of manufacturing comes down due to economies of scale and better efficiencies on the manufacturing lines. Buying an early adopter product in an industry segment that is still in the introductory phase of the overall business lifecycle, in the process of moving into the growth phase, means a LOT of change across the board. It's not for the feint of heart. We're nowhere close to the maturity phase where both pricing and quality are going to stabilize over the long term.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Upvote 0
I dunno.. over the past eight months or so there’s been a number of frothing-at-the-mouth Tesla critics showing up on the tesla motors club.com forums. I can understand onsie-twosies of trolls, but the couple dozen who seem to show up on the autonomous vehicle threads seem a lot more than can be attributed to chance.

It’s crossed my mind that there is this, well, seemingly well paid crowd called TSLAQ (the “Q” is the part added when the company supposedly goes bankrupt) who have been calling for the failing of the company for years. And it’s known that there are what appear to be professional trolls out there; a bunch of them took down the tesla.com forums several years ago.

So this poster, with it’s seemingly weird multiple posts, looks like it’s trying to create a bunch of angst.. and possibly an opening for another troll, tag-team style.

Upvote 0
I dunno.. over the past eight months or so there’s been a number of frothing-at-the-mouth Tesla critics showing up on the tesla motors club.com forums. I can understand onsie-twosies of trolls, but the couple dozen who seem to show up on the autonomous vehicle threads seem a lot more than can be attributed to chance.

It’s crossed my mind that there is this, well, seemingly well paid crowd called TSLAQ (the “Q” is the part added when the company supposedly goes bankrupt) who have been calling for the failing of the company for years. And it’s known that there are what appear to be professional trolls out there; a bunch of them took down the tesla.com forums several years ago.

So this poster, with it’s seemingly weird multiple posts, looks like it’s trying to create a bunch of angst.. and possibly an opening for another troll, tag-team style.

Although I see your point, I'm going to disagree. I think this may be a legitimate question. I moved from the Pacific Northwest where tons of EVs are everywhere, to the Midwest where they're not. I have people ask me this question virtually every day. They really don't know if it's a good deal yet. A lot more do down here though now!

It is pretty surprising that a California would ask this question though.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Upvote 0
No.
  • You'd be better off with a hybrid. Charging a Tesla isn't cheep, driving 450 miles a week I am saving $20 a month in fuel over my Sonata Hybrid. I can get fuel on ant corner topping off in 3 minutes. The nearest Super Charger is 12 minutes away and I don't feel safe there at night.
  • Model Y and Model C are low quality cars, the MS and MX are much nicer cars but they are way overpriced. No transmission, no drive shaft, no engine, no fuel tank, no exhaust system, no smog equipment... A Tesla is a very simple car, how can one cost $90k?
  • My model Y was $9,000 more than a new Sonata Hybrid. If the 2023 model Sonata was anything like my 2017 model the quality is a lot higher.
  • Tires on the Sonata Hybrid were $120 each with a 80k mile warranty. Model Y tires are $300 each with a 40k mile warranty.
  • A 12v battery for the Sonata is available off the shelf at any auto parts store. Tesla low voltage batteries are availably when the the SC is open, if they have them is stock at twice the price.
  • Any auto repair shop can work on a Sonata. Tesla SC's are backed up weeks and parts can take months. Depending on where you live, you could be hours from a SC.
  • Simple things that are standard of the cheapest of cars don't come on a Tesla, you have to buy them after the purchase. One example, center console storage trays.
  • Have an accident where the car should be drivable. Not a Tesla, it shuts everything down, you can't even clear traffic lanes.
  • Any body shop can work on a Sonata, bump something with your Tesla and you'll be in the shop for 6 months, shops can't get parts. You'll pay thousands in rental car bills.
  • In an accident Tesla's total in the blink of an eye.
  • Insurance on a Tesla is about twice an ICE vehicle of the same value.
  • Driving in the rain it's really easy to have an accident in a Tesla, much more then an ICE vehicle. I know one person who takes his wife's ICE car to work on rainy days.
  • A LOT of items don't work as advertised on a Tesla and Tesla is making no progress on fixing them. Search this forum for windshield wipers, cruise control, self driving, paint, rattles and squeaks.
  • Just a simple basic car part is 50% to 500% higher in price than a ICE vehicle. Everything from headlights to TPMS (air pressure) sensors.
Purchasing a Tesla was my error and I take full responsibly for my error. I wouldn't buy another one and I'll sell mine before the warranty runs out. Other than that, it's really a fun car to drive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No.
  • You'd be better off with a hybrid. Charging a Tesla isn't cheep, driving 450 miles a week I am saving $20 a month in fuel over my Sonata Hybrid.
To arrive at your math, you'd have to be paying like a dollar per KWh for electricity, which is about 5x higher than typical home consumer rates and 2x what you pay a peak hour at a Tesla supercharger. I fill my MYLR at home at a cost of about $10 for 300 miles of range. A 40 mpg hybrid is gonna need 7+ gallons at $5+/each for the same fillup - roughly 3x to 4x the cost of electric and given your 450 miles/week would save you a couple hundred per month, not $20.

• Insurance on a Tesla is about twice an ICE vehicle of the same value.
Tesla offers it's own insurance, which for me was 30% LESS than my prior hybrid car (which was less valuable)

• Driving in the rain it's really easy to have an accident in a Tesla, much more then an ICE vehicle. I know one person who takes his wife's ICE car to work on rainy days.
This is just a really bizarre claim. What on earth are you talking about? Teslas drive great in the rain with one of the best AWD and stability systems on the planet. Did you mount racing slicks on it or something?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tesla has done me wrong
You should've started out with this post to set the tone. Most people ❤️ their Teslas. That bubble, was it there on the purchase date? As far as value, if it's not for sale ... don't worry about it, just drive it.

As far as newbies parking next to you at the SC. It would be better to help educate them than to whip 'em. As you know, nobody reads the manual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To arrive at your math, you'd have to be paying like a dollar per KWh for electricity, which is about 5x higher than typical home consumer rates and 2x what you pay a peak hour at a Tesla supercharger. I fill my MYLR at home at a cost of about $10 for 300 miles of range. A 40 mpg hybrid is gonna need 7+ gallons at $5+/each for the same fillup - roughly 3x to 4x the price and given your 450 miles/week would save you a couple hundred per month, not $20.
The Hybrid was getting about 42 mpg. A 96 mile daily comminute was about 2 1/4 gallons round trip. Figure $4.00 a gallon, $10 a day for fuel. About $9 a night to charge my MY at home. The home charger was $425, in about 2 two years it will pay for itself.
Tesla offers it's own insurance, which for me was 30% LESS than my prior hybrid car (which was less valuable)
I've heard nothing but complaints on this forum about Tesla insurance from those who filed a claim. The hold time is measured hours.
This is just a really bizarre claim. What on earth are you talking about? Teslas drive great in the rain with one of the best AWD and stability systems on the planet. Did you mount racing slicks on it or something?
You hit a puddle at freeway speeds and start to hydroplane. What do you supposed to do? Take your foot off the accelerator, don't touch the brake, everyone learned that. The problem is, the Tesla goes into all wheel drive regen which is the same as heavy braking. The next thing you know you're backing into the k-rail at 40mph. I know two who totaled their Tesla this way last winter. If you could turn off regen on rainy days it would be a lot safer.

Edit: Just found this.

Upvote 0