Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 85D slower than 75D now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no, your 85 cannot be uncorked. this is for newer cars. I hate to be the one that has to break this news to you but you older 85 is functionally obsolete. because of the limits of the hardware in your car there probably won't be any "goodies" like this from tesla for your car.
that said, you still have a car that performs well and should continue to do so for a long time, so just enjoy your car.

Your 85D has the major advantage over a 75D of a 400V battery pack... much faster supercharging times. Which is waaaay more important than a tenth or two 0-60.
This is a beef of mine.. why did Tesla intentionally handicap the 70/75kWh batteries with such a low nominal voltage? Just to standardize the module design? Even a Nissan Leaf with a battery 1/3rd the size can CHAdeMO charge at a higher rate than a Tesla 75 kWh battery.

Reactions: alehbaba
This is a beef of mine.. why did Tesla intentionally handicap the 70/75kWh batteries with such a low nominal voltage? Just to standardize the module design? Even a Nissan Leaf with a battery 1/3rd the size can CHAdeMO charge at a higher rate than a Tesla 75 kWh battery.

100kw isn’t exactly slow. While the new Leaf will supposedly do 150kw in theory, good luck finding a charging station...

good question...did they do it intentionally or did they just realize they can beef it up?

IIRC, the 85D were initial shipped with 5.2 sec 0-60 mph performance. Tesla upgraded them to 4.2 seconds after delivery. Pretty darn nice free software upgrade, in my opinion.

I think the 75D now has equal performance, not better.

GSP

PS. Back then the term "uncorked" was not popular, at least in regards to Tesla upgrades.

And for some historical perspective, the initial brochure (yes Tesla has brochures back in 2012) for the P85 claimed 0-60 of a mind-blowing 4.4 seconds! Actual performance was around the 4-4.1 sec 0-60. Later literature from Tesla put the P85 at 4.2 secs 0-60. So pretty freakin' cool that the base Model 75D is now basically as quick as the top of the line performance version was just a few years ago, and has pretty close to the same range (75D is 259 miles EPA vs 265 for 85/P85), plus a higher top speed, for about $20k less.

Reactions: MSDadMich
We don't really care whether or not a 75D is quicker than our 85D. My wife just want's her 85D to get her from Point A to Point Z without any trouble. But if Tesla does do some performance upgrade for the 85D she won't complain. But by the end of this year or the beginning of 2018 she will be trading her 85D for a 100D maybe even a P100D who know's but all I know is time will tell.

Same. Had I known this prior to purchasing my 75D earlier this year I likely would have opted for a bigger battery... not for the range, but for the supercharging speed (Which, sucks on the 75).

good question...did they do it intentionally or did they just realize they can beef it up?

Battery cells are grouped into modules and look like this: Tesla Model S battery module, 24V, 250Ah, 5.3kWh, 444 Panasonic 18650 3400mAh | eBay

and have a nominal voltage of 25V. 75kWh battery packs have 14 modules in series, whereas 85kWh batteries have 16 modules in series = an extra 50V higher for the entire pack. Per wk057, 100kWh packs have more cells per module, but they are in parallel and thus their modules have the same voltage as the others.

Bottom line: when you are CHAdeMO charging at 120A, you get 6kW (120A x 50V) higher charge rate on a 90/100 pack than you do on a 75 pack, and it's because Tesla has chosen to standardize around module specifications.

I was away and missed most of the “uncorking” discussions. I can’t find any info on whether this would also apply to 85D. If not, it would seem like 75D would now be quicker to 60mph than my 85D. Is that right?
About the same, but the 85 battery supercharges much faster.
My 75 battery maxes at about 97kW. I've heard the 85 can reach 113kW or so.

I was away and missed most of the “uncorking” discussions. I can’t find any info on whether this would also apply to 85D. If not, it would seem like 75D would now be quicker to 60mph than my 85D. Is that right?
85D's got their equivalent of "uncorking" over the air back in 2015. It was actually the same improvement 0-60 as today's 75D uncork - 5.2s down to 4.2s.

• Informative
Reactions: Gen3 and Shock-On-T