Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my SR+ actually software locked as an SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had an SR+ in Canada for over a year now. From the moment I got it, until now, it has continued to have a maximum range of around 356km or thereabouts when charged to 100%. It is our second car, and not driven nearly as much, so I didn't think much of it, and I assumed that it would eventually go up to the 385km or whatever the SR+ is supposed to be. Now for whatever reason it's starting to bug me that it does not achieve (and has NEVER achieved) the range it was rated for. I contrast this with my LR RWD which was rated at like 499km and was delivered with such a rating from the start. Does the SR+ get the job done? Absolutely. But the particular charge estimates have me wondering: Is my Canadian SR+ somehow mistakenly 'locked' and behaving like a US SR?

The Canadian SR is heavily neutered with a 150km range to allow the SR+ to take advantage of a federal EV incentive loophole.
The US SR is/was rated at 220 miles, which coincidentally happens to be 354 km.
The original US/Canadian SR+ was 240 miles = 386km, which is what my car should have been delivered achieving. (This was later upgraded to 250 miles = 402km for the 2020 model).

I may be reading too much into these numbers, but I have seen several threads discussing the lower than expected range for others with an SR+. Could some of the cars be accidentally displaying SR numbers instead of SR+ numbers? I don't actually need the extra 20-30km, but it just annoys me to not 'get what I paid for', and to see that 20-30km degradation from day one. Is it worth asking Tesla about it? I know there is degradation expected in the battery, and my LR has lost some of its range, but it started with the quoted range and dropped gradually. The SR+ has never been anywhere close to its claimed range.

Reactions: mrgoogle
I have a June 2020 SR+ build in Canada and just did a road trip. Charged to 100%, left when it was still charging at a couple of amps. Switched to distance to see what is said and was at 398KM's. Drove 295KM's to a supercharger and was at 21%(very pleased, Car predicted about 10%). Interesting that it switched to 99% in just a block. I don't think it was really at 100% but very close.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
I have the same issue as you OP... Never got the 2019’s 386km...

see here i am at 339km only... Seems like standards are lowered in factory for the sr+
Had three appointments and tried everything but they say within specs (first ghosted me alot!)

we bought it new but never even had SR range numbers:

65EC67FE-957C-42EE-8627-40172F610061.png

Seems like standards are lowered in factory for the sr+

I'd say this 12% loss is a bit on the high side, but your 30k km is like 45k km on an LR (28k miles).

It's not uncommon to see people with 12% loss on an LR 2019 (this would be about 77.6kWh*0.88/245Wh/rmi = 279 rated miles, NOT 0.88*310 = 273 rated miles), with this kind of mileage. It's not the norm, but it's also not unusual to hear such reports.

So I'd say the LR pack and the SR pack seem to be behaving similarly in terms of capacity loss trends. Obviously without a large amount of data from each pack, stratified by age and mileage, it's really hard to say definitively. I'm just saying your datapoint does not contradict the claim they are behaving similarly.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, and enjoy the car, assuming it meets your range needs. It's just not worth worrying about, assuming it is not inconveniencing you. It really is luck of the draw as far as I can tell.

New owners really need to budget (and expect!) 10-15% capacity loss after 1-2 years, when purchasing their vehicle & making a vehicle choice. Not because it will happen, but because there is an outside chance (10%?) it will happen in that timeframe. It's just part of the distribution of results.

For the OP @Dante, still hoping he'll post a picture when charged to 100% showing his regen dot situation. But, given he's had it for a year and it's at 221 rmi (356rkm), it seems very unlikely that it's a software locked (to SR) SR+. The only weirdness is the claim that it's always been at 221 rated miles at 100%. That would be strange - no change in capacity over the course of the year. Very hard to understand that.

But a typical SR after a year would be somewhere between 205 and 210 rated miles (330-340rkm). So that doesn't fit either.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrgoogle
I'd say this 12% loss is a bit on the high side, but your 30k km is like 45k km on an LR (28k miles).

It's not uncommon to see people with 12% loss on an LR 2019 (this would be about 77.6kWh*0.88/245Wh/rmi = 279 rated miles, NOT 0.88*310 = 273 rated miles), with this kind of mileage. It's not the norm, but it's also not unusual to hear such reports.

So I'd say the LR pack and the SR pack seem to be behaving similarly in terms of capacity loss trends. Obviously without a large amount of data from each pack, stratified by age and mileage, it's really hard to say definitively. I'm just saying your datapoint does not contradict the claim they are behaving similarly.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, and enjoy the car, assuming it meets your range needs. It's just not worth worrying about, assuming it is not inconveniencing you. It really is luck of the draw as far as I can tell.

New owners really need to budget (and expect!) 10-15% capacity loss after 1-2 years, when purchasing their vehicle & making a vehicle choice. Not because it will happen, but because there is an outside chance (10%?) it will happen in that timeframe. It's just part of the distribution of results.

For the OP @Dante, still hoping he'll post a picture when charged to 100% showing his regen dot situation. But, given he's had it for a year and it's at 221 rmi (356rkm), it seems very unlikely that it's a software locked (to SR) SR+. The only weirdness is the claim that it's always been at 221 rated miles at 100%. That would be strange - no change in capacity over the course of the year. Very hard to understand that.

But a typical SR after a year would be somewhere between 205 and 210 rated miles (330-340rkm). So that doesn't fit either.
Thanks man, you know your data.

Well honestly it affects a round trip I make frequently. It’s kinda annoying. Love the car but it has frequent problem: can’t make my roundtrip because I effectively have 1-5% margin instead of returning with near 20% left.

main tAke is Tesla first told me (owned car for a week when made 1st appointment about rated range)” it’s a calculated value and it will rise after calibration” (but never did). I have not even supercharged 15-20(?) times, mostly charge AC.

Sometimes it’s still possible my round trip to parents, but it then requires a 100% charge (roundtrip estimate is 1% left) less great weather makes it impossible.

I have to test it to confirm, but I am pretty sure they nerfed the power of my car also. (Noticeably feels slower 0-100km/h)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Well honestly it affects a round trip I make frequently. It’s kinda annoying. Love the car but it has frequent problem: can’t make my roundtrip because I effectively have 1-5% margin instead of returning with near 20% left.

Yeah, that sucks. That's why people considering an EV should: 1) account for 10-15% degradation in their purchasing decision 2) Understand what typical Wh/mi usage is under worst case conditions and divide the degraded battery capacity by the efficiency to determine their true worst case range.

As it is, seems that you have to establish a good charging solution at your parents.

Thanks for all the replies. I did have a subsequent trip requiring 100% charge, and got full dots. Will post picture when I'm home. Does the SR range degrade in proportion to the total unlocked battery degradation, or does the degradation get hidden in the locked part of the battery? I'm not really fussed by it, just curious/slightly annoyed, but the car gets the job done. Just weird to never have seen the 385km range on it... maybe I'm reading too much into coincidence of numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Just weird to never have seen the 385km range on it... maybe I'm reading too much into coincidence of numbers.

Yeah, it would be weird if you really never saw the range change and it was always at ~356km. I don’t know what to make of that (sounds like you don’t use any historical 3rd-party tracking like Stats or Teslafi?) But as a single point of data, 7-8% capacity loss, which is what you have, seems totally normal.

And having all the regen dots at 100% implies that it is an SR+ and there is nothing strange going on.

Reactions: Dante