Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla still giving out the FSD beta to qualified drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something a bit strange is happening here: I've been at 99 or 98 (currently 98) for over a month, never been previously granted FSD Beta, and also never opted out and back in since the inception of Safety Score. Just went on a quick errand and neither the out or back registered in the Safety Score (showing as 0 score for today). This has never happened before. Hopeful it means something good!

Something a bit strange is happening here: I've been at 99 or 98 (currently 98) for over a month, never been previously granted FSD Beta, and also never opted out and back in since the inception of Safety Score. Just went on a quick errand and neither the out or back registered in the Safety Score (showing as 0 score for today). This has never happened before. Hopeful it means something good!
Nevermind on this. My second out and back of the day registered just fine with Safety Score in the app. Continuing to wait and see if FSD Beta is released to more people!

People gotta stop thinking they are entitled to "FSD Beta", whatever you think, you cannot buy a product that is not for sale and you did not buy beta access.

I know probably very few people are familiar with the software development lifecycle but google it lol, beta access is always INVITE ONLY, if you paid for FSD you have whatever public features are available and a promise for future features that are NOT available right now, that is what you paid for and that is what you received, full stop.

and for the record i'm at 3500 miles, about 60 days in safety score jail. :)
I'm pretty familiar with the software development lifecycle, since that's what I did for 30 years. And no, beta access isn't always "invite only"; having people test your software for free is something companies typically really like. Obviously the practices of each company will vary, and I'm sure there are some "invite only" beta programs, but giant companies like Microsoft and Apple let anyone register to download beta versions of Office and Windows (Microsoft) and Mac OS (Apple).

That's not the problem. The problem is what Elon said. He said (originally) that everyone who'd pre-paid for FSD would automatically be enrolled in the beta program.

Except that didn't happen, because suddenly there's this "safety score" you have to meet. But don't worry: Elon says that everyone who scores 100-- initally-- will get the beta; then as time goes in it will be 99, 98, etc...

Except that didn't happen, because there are people here who've had a safety score of 100 for thousands of miles over many weeks or even months...and never got the beta.

It appears as though new enrollments in the program stopped sometime in late December of 2021. Even some people already in the program aren't getting updates.

Since then, nothing. Complete radio silence. Will new entrants ever be accepted again, or is 60K beta testers enough? Is Tesla simply busy with all those NHTSA things? Are they waiting for V11? NOBODY KNOWS.

And that's what we're complaining about. I paid for FSD when Obama was president. Tesla's had my money for more than 5 years. Yes, I think that should buy me a little consideration, although it seems that even though I got my computer and camera upgrade, Tesla is heavily favoring the newer cars.

Personally, I quit stressing about it. I opted out of the program and enjoy my car a lot more. Tesla could address all this frustration and angst with a couple of Elon tweets explaining what the f**k is going on, but honestly I think he enjoys this.

I have be been at a 98 and up to a 99 safety score for a 6 weeks and have not been offered the FSD beta yet… has Tesla stopped giving it out? Done a few hundred miles at that score.
So far this year, the answer is no. The last new beta users were added on Christmas eve. Tesla appears to have now delivered 10.10.2 to all beta participants, but so far every car that received the update was already using one of the prior versions of the beta. If they add any new participants, it would probably be this week, but there has been no news whatsoever, so no one can really tell you what to expect.

Same thing happened for me today! Maybe their servers are having issues? Either way keeping my hopes high

At a minimum, Tesla should communicate. If it’s not rolling out FSD any longer, tell us so we can drop this safety score crap and enjoy our cars!!!!
i'm right there with you lol, its getting super old trying not to break a little too hard or praying to god that that guy doesn't pull out in front of you and you get a FCW even tho he clearly has enough room lol... /sigh

that said i'm hopeful that we will see v11 soon, just going off firmware push's it looks like they have pushed fixes for a good chunk of the issues they've been having (lets hope the heat pump fix sticks lol). lets just hope they dont drop 10.11 before v11 lol

In my experience, the trip will not count if it is less than a mile. Maybe the threshold is larger than 1 mile, I haven't tested it carefully. But I can tell you that very short trips won't be counted. It would make sense for the threshold to be 1 mile because they weight each trip by its mileage. By that standard, a trip less than a mile shouldn't count anyway.

At a minimum, Tesla should communicate. If it’s not rolling out FSD any longer, tell us so we can drop this safety score crap and enjoy our cars!!!!
You can do that right now, without waiting for communication from Tesla. I did.

And there’s no guarantee that with V11, Tesla will start enrolling new users in the FSD beta again. I wouldn’t bet on it.

Last, Tesla doesn’t need to communicate. Why should they? They’re selling all the cars they can make now. It’s the same with their perennial quality issues and poor customer service: there‘s no incentive to improve.

Reactions: pilotSteve
i'm right there with you lol, its getting super old trying not to break a little too hard or praying to god that that guy doesn't pull out in front of you and you get a FCW even tho he clearly has enough room lol... /sigh

that said i'm hopeful that we will see v11 soon, just going off firmware push's it looks like they have pushed fixes for a good chunk of the issues they've been having (lets hope the heat pump fix sticks lol). lets just hope they dont drop 10.11 before v11 lol
I've found the scoring to be somewhat forgiving. Even if I get dinged by unsafe following (a car cutting in front of me and giving me 10-20% unsafe following) , I still manage to get 100 for that trip consistently. And I don't take long trips, just regular city trips.

I also use auto-pilot / auto-steer wherever it engages and I have my following distance set to the max (7). I have found that keeping the following distance to the max allows auto-pilot and auto steer to react better to sudden stops or cars cutting in. It makes the monitoring of AP/AS much less stressful and thus the ride more enjoyable.

I've also found the threshold below which you can still make 'normal' turns and not get dinged for aggressive turning.

You don't actually need to drive like "grand ma" to have perfect scores. Just find those thresholds and stay right below them!

I feel i'm becoming pretty good at both, keeping a 100 score AND enjoying the car.

Reactions: Rusty1
Same thing happened to me. All drives after my first drive of the morning yesterday didn't show up. I was sitting at 100 for 29 miles yesterday (even though I had driven 60 miles during the day). Woke up this morning and dropped off my kiddo at school. 0 / 0 miles. Just a few moments ago, yesterday updated to 100 across 60 miles and my 100 across 3 miles showed up for today.

In my experience, the trip will not count if it is less than a mile. Maybe the threshold is larger than 1 mile, I haven't tested it carefully. But I can tell you that very short trips won't be counted. It would make sense for the threshold to be 1 mile because they weight each trip by its mileage. By that standard, a trip less than a mile shouldn't count anyway.
I drive 180 miles yesterday, multiple drives. Nothing recorded. That’s never happened and I’m 4500 miles since opting in. Somethings up

The way it should have worked is an acceptance into the FSD Beta BEFORE the Safety Scoring took place. Where they simply gave you 7 days to exceed so preset threshold for safety.

If you didn't achieve it then you simply got opted out automatically, and you'd have to retry.

Personally I would have preferred a Quiz where you had to answer everything correctly.

Things like

Is FSD Beta going to be the scariest thing you've ever used in your life?

Yes/No

Where only yes was acceptable.