TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is there a nice rear valance upgrade for the refreshed model s?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by 2cati, Oct 10, 2017.

1. 2cati

2cati Member

I love my new model s however I feel the rear valance looks much simpler (cheaper) than the pre refresh rear valance.

Are there some quality rear valance upgrades or something that can be added to enhance the new rear valance?

2. timvracer

timvracer Member

Really?? interesting, I find the old chrome wrapped divot in the rear valance to be a bit out of character with the car. LOVE the refresh! (sorry, didn't answer your question... to each their own, of course)

3. 2cati

2cati Member

#3 2cati, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Ha! I think the gloss black is a step in the right direction but the lack of detail or seems less “exclusive” and more “generic”! I see it similar to a BMW M Car getting a generic non M valance ....or an Audi RS7 getting an A7 valance ...etc. In fact I find the rear valance very generic looking like on a Acura MDX ... ;-)

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

Anytime there's a chrome delete like that, it's a cheapening move... I agree.

The whole facelift look is a good study on how to delete hundreds on the cost of building a car, and IMHO it shows as thousands cheaper.

Have you considered putting an older style rear valence on the newer car? It'll probably bolt right on.
    What's old is new again kind of thing!? Notch up the look a bit closer to the original luster!

5. 2cati

2cati Member

Thanks ;-). No I haven’t - I suspect the chrome trim won’t fit the new contour but I like the idea for an OEM look.

6. timvracer

timvracer Member

Really? The removal of the large bulbous mouth on the front of the car made it look cheaper? I think it just made it look less like a Disney "Cars" character running down the road eating bugs like a blue whale taking in plankton.

:) :)

7. 2cati

2cati Member

Hahaha! I do like the refreshed front ....never thought of non refreshed as Disney cars but you did make me laugh! .....

8. scottm

scottm Active Member

#8 scottm, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

Well, compare for yourself as to which car looks like less money...

compare.jpg

Ya you can call the new look a fresher cleaner simpler design, etc. Fact is, it is less stuff and looks a little more economical that way.

Here's what has been deleted / de-contented, as seen from this corner view alone:

- deleted front spoiler lip with distinctive color, now single form body color
    - deleted front front fog chrome bars, now black plastic
    - delete chrome trim on "grill" (nosecone)
    - delete nosecone (lots say this is a good thing!)
    - delete side ground effect trim piece with distinctive color, now body color
    - delete HID lamps, now LED headlamps (drive both before declaring LED better!)

And from the rear, you'd see the rear valence chrome trim delete.. the subject of this thread.

They're both sharp looking cars and instantly recognizable as Tesla's... most people around here probably wouldn't know or could say which is newer of the two looks. There's about equal numbers of each on the road here, I'd say.

So Tesla has saved a few bucks in the refresh design process... probably passed the savings onto purchasers, right?

• Informative x 1
  9. kdday

kdday Member

Back on topic, I also want the Chrome piece for the rear valence under the bumper. I think it looks good. I'd like to know if I can retrofit it.

10. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

I agree. The original rear valence looks better. I think the old one would bolt on. You would also need the black plastic piece underneath.

The problem is the color of the sides are the bottom. The plastic won't match.

11. scottm

scottm Active Member

Here's a comparo
    compare2.jpg

• Like x 1
  12. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

While I agree that the chrome lower pieces look nice, the painted lowers more than makes it up for me. I've always hated the plastic lowers and I was so excited when the refresh painted them.

• Like x 1
  13. 2cati

2cati Member

#13 2cati, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Yes! Thank you for clearly illustrating the difference with those rear photos!

14. 2cati

2cati Member

If I had the original valance, I would either paint or wrap the plastic in gloss black. Easier than trying too retro fit.

15. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Me too, I prefer the original valance but wrapped to hide the chrome. The diffuser looks better, the chrome doesn't.

16. scottm

scottm Active Member

Anybody notice the rear of a Chrysler 300 lately (2017)... doesn't that valence look familiar? Minus the exhaust pipes and it's Tesla!
    2017_chrysler_300_0_rearview.jpg