Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a nice rear valance upgrade for the refreshed model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really?? interesting, I find the old chrome wrapped divot in the rear valance to be a bit out of character with the car. LOVE the refresh! (sorry, didn't answer your question... to each their own, of course)

Ha! I think the gloss black is a step in the right direction but the lack of detail or seems less “exclusive” and more “generic”! I see it similar to a BMW M Car getting a generic non M valance ....or an Audi RS7 getting an A7 valance ...etc. In fact I find the rear valance very generic looking like on a Acura MDX ... ;-)

Last edited:
Anytime there's a chrome delete like that, it's a cheapening move... I agree.

The whole facelift look is a good study on how to delete hundreds on the cost of building a car, and IMHO it shows as thousands cheaper.

Have you considered putting an older style rear valence on the newer car? It'll probably bolt right on.
What's old is new again kind of thing!? Notch up the look a bit closer to the original luster!

Anytime there's a chrome delete like that, it's a cheapening move... I agree.

The whole facelift look is a good study on how to delete hundreds on the cost of building a car, and IMHO it shows.

Have you considered putting an older style one on the newer car? What's old is new again kind of thing!? Notch up the look a bit to the original luster!

Thanks ;-). No I haven’t - I suspect the chrome trim won’t fit the new contour but I like the idea for an OEM look.

Really? The removal of the large bulbous mouth on the front of the car made it look cheaper? I think it just made it look less like a Disney "Cars" character running down the road eating bugs like a blue whale taking in plankton.

:) :)

Well, compare for yourself as to which car looks like less money...

compare.jpg

Ya you can call the new look a fresher cleaner simpler design, etc. Fact is, it is less stuff and looks a little more economical that way.

Here's what has been deleted / de-contented, as seen from this corner view alone:

- deleted front spoiler lip with distinctive color, now single form body color
- deleted front front fog chrome bars, now black plastic
- delete chrome trim on "grill" (nosecone)
- delete nosecone (lots say this is a good thing!)
- delete side ground effect trim piece with distinctive color, now body color
- delete HID lamps, now LED headlamps (drive both before declaring LED better!)

And from the rear, you'd see the rear valence chrome trim delete.. the subject of this thread.

They're both sharp looking cars and instantly recognizable as Tesla's... most people around here probably wouldn't know or could say which is newer of the two looks. There's about equal numbers of each on the road here, I'd say.

So Tesla has saved a few bucks in the refresh design process... probably passed the savings onto purchasers, right?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911