Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's always safer to put the ground at the top, in case something conductive falls onto the socket while something else is plugged in. I believe it was a recent change to the electric code, but I'm not certain of that. A quick google of "ground pin on top" seems to show that it's recommended but not required. Anyway, I agree with @AB4EJ, just have him install it that way.

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888
Mine is sideways - so it'll be convenient (and slightly inconvenient) no matter what. :)

Attachments

• 20160831_113831.jpg
    20160831_113831.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Funny
Reactions: Canuck
But electrician suggested I flip the circuit breaker to off before I plug in. He assumed I wasn't going to plug/unplug often. I haven't yet been sold on whether I really need a second cable (one for garage, one for the road). I have trouble letting go of another $500.. :(

Has anyone experienced any issues with plugging/unplugging on nearly daily basis? Is that frowned upon?

But electrician suggested I flip the circuit breaker to off before I plug in. He assumed I wasn't going to plug/unplug often. I haven't yet been sold on whether I really need a second cable (one for garage, one for the road). I have trouble letting go of another $500.. :(

Has anyone experienced any issues with plugging/unplugging on nearly daily basis? Is that frowned upon?

2nd cable seems like overkill to me. Why would you unplug and plug in the cable on a daily basis? The only time I take the cable with me is if I'm going on a roadtrip, once every few months.

I'll preface what I say with "I don't have a Tesla... YET!" Waiting on my Model 3.

I've heard that the 14-50 socket will eventually get loose if plugged / unplugged frequently.
But more importantly, I know for me, I'm too lazy to unpack / repack the UMC every day, and I like to be prepared, so I'd want it in the vehicle whenever possible. For that reason, I plan on purchasing a Wall Connector. It's also $500, and should be easy to install using the same 50 amp circuit you already installed.

Also keep in mind that depending on your tax situation, in the US you may be able to get a 30% federal tax credit on alternative fueling infrastructure through the end of 2016. (Look at Federal Tax form 8911).

You can always go with the UMC for now and if you find that you don't mind unplugging it frequently, if it does wear out eventually, simply buy a new plug from Amazon. The link you posted showed that they are only $9.

• Helpful
I'll preface what I say with "I don't have a Tesla... YET!" Waiting on my Model 3.

I've heard that the 14-50 socket will eventually get loose if plugged / unplugged frequently.
But more importantly, I know for me, I'm too lazy to unpack / repack the UMC every day, and I like to be prepared, so I'd want it in the vehicle whenever possible.
Be prepared for what? You don't use the UMC when supercharging or using level 2 charging stations. You only use it to plug into an outlet, and you only do that when you're out of town and don't have the above means of charging. Unless you take long distance trips unexpectedly without stopping home first, there is no reason to keep the UMC in the car. Most owners keep it hanging on the wall on their garage and only unplug it to take it with them when going on long distance trips.

...You don't use the UMC when supercharging or using level 2 charging stations. You only use it to plug into an outlet, and you only do that when you're out of town and don't have the above means of charging...

Really? I may have misunderstood the utilization of the UMC. I thought I had to bring it on the road with me all the time to use at Superchargers and other public charging stations. Is that not the case? I do remember now that Superchargers have their own cables hanging there. But what about other (not Tesla-specific) charging stations? How does that work without your UMC (and accompanying adapters)?

Really? I may have misunderstood the utilization of the UMC. I thought I had to bring it on the road with me all the time to use at Superchargers and other public charging stations. Is that not the case? I do remember now that Superchargers have their own cables hanging there. But what about other (not Tesla-specific) charging stations? How does that work without your UMC (and accompanying adapters)?
As @TexasEV stated you only use the UMC to "plug into the wall outlet". Non-Tesla-specific charging stations don't require you to plug in the wall either. It's already connected to power. You just need the "adapter" to connect that cable to the Tesla.

The time you use the UMC is when you expect to plug into the wall outlet somewhere, like at a friend/relative's house.

The car comes with a J1772 adapter to use at public charging stations. It lives in the glove compartment and has nothing to do with the UMC.

• Informative
I actually perfer having mine such that the cord goes towards the ceiling. I made a hook for it hanging from the ceiling and so it keeps the cord off the ground and out of the way.
I also run my cable along the ceiling to keep it out of the way, although I have the 14-50 receptacle in the standard orientation and just curve the plug cable:

26377718142_174b539a11_z.jpg

I live on a dirt road and my garage floor can get very dirty and muddy in winter, so I keep the cable off the floor. Also keeps it from being a tripping hazard.

As @TexasEV and @outie mentioned, for driving around town, you generally don't need the UMC. Mine stays hanging on the wall in the garage. For a trip out of town, which I do maybe a few times a year, yeah, I'll put it in the car to be prepared. But even then, it's usually not needed, since it's not used with Superchargers or public charging stations. I just went on a trip of about 955 miles last week, and I brought the UMC, but never used it.