Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is uncorking 75D unfair to 90/100D owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A side benefit of this uncorking is that a larger percentage of people will decide to purchase a 75 with the higher performance levels than paying extra for a 100.

This will free up a significant number of batteries (many hundreds per car) that can be used to produce additional vehicles.

End result is more Tesla's on the road.

I'm torn. I opted to lease the S75D because I knew it would be my daily driver and more than enough range for 99% of my use. I could have easily leased the S90D or S100D but I didn't need the range and couldn't justify the extra $ a month for 1 more second 0-60.

I think the right question is, would I have had more of a problem with this if I had bought a S100D? Leasing and buying are big differentiators, especially if you were thinking of selling your car in a few years. Now all you have is better range.

why would someone pay up for a 90 when they can get pretty close to the same levels of performance and range in a 75? your baseline is screwy and skews the comment.
The same reason why people paid extra for the "range upgrade" option - 90 over 85, or 100 over 90 - there was no perf difference, just range. Some may look into supercharging speed, but most will not. You missed my point, I agree that the difference in resale between 75D and 90D will shrink, however the 75D price will hold up instead of diving towards Model 3 levels, so for example a 5 year old MS instead of $30K for 75D and $40K for 90D you might get $40K and $45K respectively.

Last edited:
A side benefit of this uncorking is that a larger percentage of people will decide to purchase a 75 with the higher performance levels than paying extra for a 100 ....snip.......
or - how about this scenerio for a collateral-side benefit;
The report from my better half last weekend was that at 7:30am San Juan Cap - The wait line is almost a full 2 cars deep to charge. More juice being spent on quicker acceleration. More trips to the superchargers. More wait times.
:D

So your X100D is now in the mid 4 second range or faster? Just trying to clarify that it was a 100D that was ‘uncorked’ since they already come with the same output as the newly uncorked 75D’s.
Should be in the mid 4sec range. I haven’t done formal test with logs but orginally the car was 0-60 in 5.2 the newer Xs can do it in 4.7, I imagine that is where I am landing. Hardly the improvement of the 75D but still good to have all the documentation showing it was done.

Really the X100D is my wife’s car. I drove it home from the Service center noticed an off the line difference but we are talking a marginal difference here. Before it had a soft start now it has a punch. Compared to my SP100D it’s a slug. :)

There was a two week window July 1st ~ 15th you could order leather and have the performance boost. I described it here The Optimal vs Less than Optimal Time to Buy a Tesla as an optimal time to have purchased. I had considered my timing less than optimal and now I feel much better about my timing though I lack dual chargers standard which I’m okay with and don’t have any use for them.

Peoples observations on TMC were that Tesla was holding back power well before the performance improvement and uncorking occurred to push people into the P model and differentiate the cars, justifying the premium on P cars. Clearly this was the case as uncorking has pointed this out quite well.

Last edited:
The reason I posted my service sheet and the confirmation text message from the SC was to show Tesla’s goodwill. All too often Tesla gets a bad wrap for customer service and I have been very fortunate to be on the opposite side of that coin every time getting exceptional customer service and I just felt I had the documented proof of that exceptional customer service so I wanted to share it. Often certain members of TMC say “show pictures or it didn’t happen” so I am showing the pictures cause it happened and I am very greatful to Tesla for it.

From an asset price perspective - cars are a rapidly depreciating asset - it is in the interest of the owner of a higher end trim (or however you characterize 90/100D vs 75D) to see that the value of the lowest end of the range remains preserved or is enhanced .

Yes, it is counter intuitive to the feeling that ‘you lost something special you had over the lower end trim’, but financial reality is that if the lower end depreciates fast, the market will not justify the gap between lower and higher end trims; market value is what the buyer pays ultimately .

Tesla has shown a repeated trend of commoditizing previously higher end options . That makes it harder for owners of the higher end version to assert value at sale .

Sure there’s an emotional sense that some precious differentiation is lost from uncorking the 75D, but even if I owned a 90D I would still want the 75D to retain value . Ultimately the range difference has much more real world value for EVs than acceleration .

@suraj1194 you make an excellent point. I think what makes Tesla owners more sensitive is the compressed time scale these changes happen and that’s a great thing for innovation no doubt. I only expect Tesla to improve and make their cars better and I hope they do so a I can trade in my current model for the next best thing in several years time.

Reactions: suraj1194
@suraj1194 you make an excellent point. I think what makes Tesla owners more sensitive is the compressed time scale these changes happen and that’s a great thing for innovation no doubt. I only expect Tesla to improve and make their cars better and I hope they do so a I can trade in my current model for the next best thing in several years time.
Thanks, and yes, pretty much all of us are dealing with the 'I've never had a car like this before' syndrome. Various actions on their part either preserve or destroy the value proposition for existing owners. They're clearly not going to preserve value by not commoditizing previously higher end features (e.g. roof options, air suspension etc) so another means of value preservation is to hold up the value of the lower end. Of course this isn't perfect - and I don't think they're necessarily thinking this through carefully - as seen in the case of the seemingly orphaned RWD 75 folks. Or the P85 folks. But in general, any actions that enhance value for existing owners benefit both the lower and higher end trim owners, with some exceptions I'll readily acknowledge as well.

haha discovered? They discovered months later that old 75s can be uncorked?

No it was all planned. 75s were already limited. They have just uncorked it. If you ever driven a 75, you could easily tell that the acceleration curve was artificial.
The Model 3 LR is software limited just to differentiate, they had to uncork the S75's so they can make the 3's faster as well.

Should be in the mid 4sec range. I haven’t done formal test with logs but orginally the car was 0-60 in 5.2 the newer Xs can do it in 4.7, I imagine that is where I am landing. Hardly the improvement of the 75D but still good to have all the documentation showing it was done.

Really the X100D is my wife’s car. I drove it home from the Service center noticed an off the line difference but we are talking a marginal difference here. Before it had a soft start now it has a punch. Compared to my SP100D it’s a slug. :)

There was a two week window July 1st ~ 15th you could order leather and have the performance boost. I described it here The Optimal vs Less than Optimal Time to Buy a Tesla as an optimal time to have purchased. I had considered my timing less than optimal and now I feel much better about my timing though I lack dual chargers standard which I’m okay with and don’t have any use for them.

Peoples observations on TMC were that Tesla was holding back power well before the performance improvement and uncorking occurred to push people into the P model and differentiate the cars, justifying the premium on P cars. Clearly this was the case as uncorking has pointed this out quite well.

My X100D was delivered June 12, and I recently clocked 0-60 at 4.75 seconds. I have not had it uncorked.

I'll have to contact my guy at the local SC to see if uncorking is possible and what benefit there might be...

I don't think it's unfair.

The factory 75D was "restricted" while the 90s were already unrestricted.

After testing, Tesla realized they could pull back the restriction without damage to the drivetrain and battery.

What about the price difference between the 75d and the 90d? - Range!

I love the idea that Teslas are mostly equal in speed and acceleration and the deeper your pocket, the longer the range!

I hate explaining to people when they ask about the Tesla and how fast they are, then I have to explain I have the non-P model and I have the 75kw battery and it's slower than a Subaru WRX STI and a Ford Focus RS and I paid more than double of those cars.... So having this performance boost definitely feels good.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
IMO, I only think it is unfair to future 75D buyers. They will have to go to Tesla to find out if a 2017 car they are thinking of buying has been (or can be) uncorked.

For me, if I had the choice between the 90D I collected in March or an uncorked 75D (with 85 battery), then the 75D would have got the sale, saving me a few $$ in the process. But I didn't have that choice and am happy with the 90D so.. whatever :)