Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LTE is actually cheaper for the phone company since they can send more data over the same bandwidth. you are correct and that you won't be consuming any more data.

Finally, a FUD-busting post. We either need more of these or hip waders for everyone NOT posting "oh, gee, *handwringing* we can't have THAT - we're just not worthy and would rather accept less than dare to be happy with more," pablum.

LTE is actually cheaper for the phone company since they can send more data over the same bandwidth. you are correct and that you won't be consuming any more data.

more data over same bandwidth? That's like more water in 1 liter.
Maybe you meant more data in less time? Either way, you're paying more for higher bandwidth since you tend to consume more.
The tend to consume more is negated in the case of tesla. So all you get with lte is better ux and the possibility of in car wifi (which will for sure cost extra) and maybe 320kbps slacker radio and such better services in the future.

Last edited:
Maybe you meant more data in less time? Either way, you're paying more for higher bandwidth since you tend to consume more.
The tend to consume more is negated in the case of tesla. So all you get with lte is better ux and the possibility of in car wifi (which will for sure cost extra) and maybe 320kbps slacker radio and such better services in the future.
More like more water through the same pipe. Higher bit rate.

He is correct, if not overly specific.

For carriers, how much RF spectrum they use per communication channel is a big deal. RF spectrum is measured in terms of bandwidth. How much digital data you can transmit over that RF carrier is also referred to as bandwidth (actually a bit of a misnomer, as the correct term really should be "data rate"[1]) .

Due to modulation schemes, error correction, etc... there are methods of increasing the data rat in a fixed RF bandwidth. In this case LTE can carry more data than 3G for the same allocated spectrum.

[1] This is a holdover from the "olden days" of networking when RF bandwidth of a baseband system directly correlated to the data it carried. As technology marched on, clever ways of cramming more data in the same bandwith were devised, but the term stuck, similar to modems and "baud")

Got my 70D today. It has LTE!

I just oust picked up my p85d about two months again...and no LTE. My 3G sucks at best, it is slow and I lose the signal for at least the 10-20minutes every time I get into my car. The maps load really slowly and the browser is unusable. Way too slow. I have complained several times at tesla about this. They told me to leave the car into no energy savings, yet I still get the same problem.
i sure hope we get the upgrade to LTE ...soon.

Looks like this landed in late April builds, I ordered on April 8 and I estimate the car was being built somewhere within days before this made it into the dash/telematics assembly process. I don't care for my own uses, I can bring along my LTE iPad Mini if I really must have quicker surfing, the NAV is fast enough for me with 3G. Still, might be interesting to see if retrofit is offered. Loving my new Model S!

My Model S went into production on May 7th, and also no LTE. I hope its just a configuration issue now, and not that I put in my order two weeks too early. (And if so, I hope the retrofit is easily available.)

My phone is T-Mobile, and not AT&T, but going from 3G/4G to LTE there made a *huge* difference in the simple responsiveness of the data connection. (regardless of speed tests)

Maybe food for thought:

Keep in mind, Tesla does not negotiate directly with AT&T (they're going through a telematics company of which the name escapes me).

It is logical to assume that if our respective vehicles have an LTE capable router, not all vehicles are going to get turned on just by the update. There needs to be a concerted effort between Tesla (through all parties) to AT&T to enable LTE functionality on the account relative to the SIM card that's in our vehicles. So, either selectively deploy the update that enables LTE, or deploy the update to all and turn LTE on for the account after the update. I would suspect they're taking a "throttled" approach to this.

There has been some speculation as to whether carriers are going to want 2G and 3G to go away. The answer is emphatically YES. This frees up channels otherwise occupied by older technologies for higher bandwidth by combining channels. Think of Nextel and the proprietary technologies they used. Shut off. Think of analog... Yep, it's now Digital only.

So, if I'm listening to Slacker and it's buffering the entire song, it's utilizing channel(s) for a longer duration while on 3G as opposed to LTE. The amount of data hasn't changed. AT&T, relative to other providers, is late to the LTE game and therefore does not have the amount of LTE capacities as others. We should assume they don't want 60,000 plus Tesla's hitting their network all at once.

We should also assume that the telematics company will negotiate with AT&T an aggregate amount of data to be utilized by the account as a whole (not specific to Tesla). Think of the "family share" plan some of us have for multiple devices on our account spread across tens of thousands of vehicles.

One thing I would like to know is how far back Tesla was installing LTE capable routers...

The stumbling block for vendors is the ability to get high speed connectivity to cell towers. Not all cell towers have fiber installed which is a requirement for LTE.

My phone is T-Mobile, and not AT&T, but going from 3G/4G to LTE there made a *huge* difference in the simple responsiveness of the data connection. (regardless of speed tests)

LTE latency is much lower than HSPA+, which is why LTE feels so much more responsive.

Maybe food for thought:

Keep in mind, Tesla does not negotiate directly with AT&T (they're going through a telematics company of which the name escapes me).

It is logical to assume that if our respective vehicles have an LTE capable router, not all vehicles are going to get turned on just by the update. There needs to be a concerted effort between Tesla (through all parties) to AT&T to enable LTE functionality on the account relative to the SIM card that's in our vehicles. So, either selectively deploy the update that enables LTE, or deploy the update to all and turn LTE on for the account after the update. I would suspect they're taking a "throttled" approach to this.

There has been some speculation as to whether carriers are going to want 2G and 3G to go away. The answer is emphatically YES. This frees up channels otherwise occupied by older technologies for higher bandwidth by combining channels. Think of Nextel and the proprietary technologies they used. Shut off. Think of analog... Yep, it's now Digital only.

So, if I'm listening to Slacker and it's buffering the entire song, it's utilizing channel(s) for a longer duration while on 3G as opposed to LTE. The amount of data hasn't changed. AT&T, relative to other providers, is late to the LTE game and therefore does not have the amount of LTE capacities as others. We should assume they don't want 60,000 plus Tesla's hitting their network all at once.

We should also assume that the telematics company will negotiate with AT&T an aggregate amount of data to be utilized by the account as a whole (not specific to Tesla). Think of the "family share" plan some of us have for multiple devices on our account spread across tens of thousands of vehicles.

One thing I would like to know is how far back Tesla was installing LTE capable routers...

The stumbling block for vendors is the ability to get high speed connectivity to cell towers. Not all cell towers have fiber installed which is a requirement for LTE.

My understanding of the situation is that AT&T is somewhat behind Verizon in LTE deployment. T-Mobile also appears to have an advantage in urban areas. Paradoxically, because T-Mobile has unfavorable high frequency bands (lower coverage radius, poor obstacle penetration), they are forced to deploy more antennas per square kilometer, which actually results in better end user experience because of lower cell site congestion.

I'm pretty sure that AT&T has superior overall LTE coverage to T-Mobile (particularly in suburban/rural areas) and Sprint (made bad bet on WiMAX before changing course for LTE). This won't change unless T-Mobile and Sprint acquire more low frequency spectrum in the 600-700 MHz range. Without these licenses they will not be able to effectively provide LTE coverage at the same level as AT&T and Verizon.

Since you're not him, I'm not sure on what authority you can know what he said or what he meant. This is what he said:

" Hardware upgrades refer to changes we make to components that are already installed on your Model S. Through the program, you would be eligible to receive any of the upgrades that we come out with at no extra charge.

For example, when the production team created a better defroster vents for the Model S last year, even older Model S equipped with the previous defroster vents could receive the upgrade. If you had the service plan, this was included
"

I don't see how an upgrade to the cell radio from 3G to LTE doesn't fit this explanation.

Now I know that doesn't mean they'll actually honor it, but clearly by definition, this is an upgrade to existing equipment.

Your DS was referring to updates that everyone receives, even those who do not have the service plan. Updating components to add functionality that didn't previously exist is NOT included. The defroster vents did not ADD functionality, they merely improved a defective defroster design that did not work properly. Tesla also proactively replaced coolant pumps due to software issues in 2013. Tesla replaced/updated rear seat belt openings in my car. Window clips were also replaced and updated with improved parts. Everyone received these updates, regardless of whether they pre-paid for service.

As far as I know, nobody has ever had Tesla update a component to add functionality that was not there previously through the pre-paid service plan. And again, I will kindly refer you to the written contract that you agreed to when you purchased your pre-paid service plan. Hardware updates are not a part of that contract, and are not included, even though Tesla mentioned something to that effect on their web site.

Tesla has updated hundreds of components in the cars, added Autopilot capability, reconfigured the steering wheel stalks, added dual drive, added an ionizer feature to the HVAC, and are now rolling out LTE. You are not eligible for any of these, or any new components that add features that your car did not have at the time of purchase. The only exception to this was the titanium battery shield, which did add functionality, but that was a serious safety concern that Tesla needed to give to everyone in order to avoid a NHTSA recall.

It would be great if Tesla would give us all LTE for free, and if it's in Tesla's best interest to do so from a monitoring and telematics standpoint, they may still elect to do so. But don't expect it to be tied to the pre-paid service, because those kinds of updates just don't happen. If you know of an owner who received an update because of the pre-paid service plan that someone else, without the plan, was not eligible to receive, I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited: