Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It takes a lot of energy to preheat the battery in the morning, maybe I shouldn’t?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
I turned on the climate to heat the interior of the car this morning but it also said it was going to pre condition the battery, I think I lost 6 miles of range in 20 minutes

I think it would be better to drive the car for a few mins then turn on the climate and turn it off after it’s warm enough

Reactions: Skavatar
I turned on the climate to heat the interior of the car this morning but it also said it was going to pre condition the battery, I think I lost 6 miles of range in 20 minutes

I think it would be better to drive the car for a few mins then turn on the climate and turn it off after it’s warm enough
Where exactly did it tell you it was “preconditioning the battery”?

It only preheats the battery if it’s below freezing.

Ideally preconditioning should be done while plugged in.

If you don’t precondition the cabin, you will use the energy anyways when you turn on the HVAC when driving.

But honestly just enjoy the car and its features and comfort. Between this thread and your other thread, it seems you are trying to save every single Watt possible as if electricity is something super scarce and super expensive. It’s just really not going to make that much of a cost difference. Why sacrifice your comfort and enjoyment of the car to save a few cents? If you really wanted to be an energy miser you should have gotten the RWD rather than the Performance. The RWD is far more efficient.

It says it in the app. Something like “warming the battery for optimum performance”. It used to just have the three bacon strips but now it says it explicitly.
There are two different forms of “preconditioning the battery”. One is preconditioning for efficiency. The other is preconditioning for Supercharging.

From my experience I can’t tell the difference between the two in the app. However, I monitor battery temperatures through the S3XY buttons so I can tell the difference there.

The heating and cooling system can use an AMAZING amount of energy when heating the battery for Supercharging. I have seen up to 12 KW when preconditioning the battery for Supercharging as the picture below shows.

IMG_1852.jpeg

It may just be me, but since my car lives outside as I have no garage, I go out fully dressed for Winter. When I get in my car, I don't undress, so I don't want the cabin to be warm and toasty. I just turn it on Manual, 69°f, fan setting 2, heat seater 1 or 2. As it warms, I take off my hat and gloves, but generally, I drive fully-dressed for Winter.

Reactions: Skavatar

That's not true. My car sat at work the other day and the lowest ambient temp was 37F. Drove home and charged from 70-80% SOC and it sat in my heated garage overnight (55F). In the morning when I started pre-conditioning the car, it heated the battery for a few mins too. Battery definitely wasn't below freezing and the ambient temp was nowhere close.

Pre-conditioning the battery is for the health of the battery. It operates/charges better at optimal temp. So it's a good thing.
That said, unless you're trying to defrost ice from the glass, 5-10 minutes should be plenty of time to get the interior warm.
Only ICE drivers would preheat for 20 minutes! :D

If you don’t precondition the cabin, you will use the energy anyways when you turn on the HVAC when driving.

But honestly just enjoy the car and its features and comfort. Between this thread and your other thread, it seems you are trying to save every single Watt possible as if electricity is something super scarce and super expensive. It’s just really not going to make that much of a cost difference. Why sacrifice your comfort and enjoyment of the car to save a few cents? If you really wanted to be an energy miser you should have gotten the RWD rather than the Performance. The RWD is far more efficient.
People want to know how the car works and how to optimize their experience based on what's important to them. I say go for it. People like to tinker, and that includes energy tinkering.

I can have fun on weekends with the performance but for everyday driving to work or traveling want to get every mile I can

Esp since I’m only charging from a 20 amp outlet atm until the electric gets connected to my house

Reactions: mpgxsvcd