Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-PACE vs TM3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere that one of the main reasons for limitations on EV uptake at present is the lack of models and choice.

Certainly I cannot immediately see an option (and then some would be not available in Africa yet) - anything under 350km range is no good.

For us a vehicle over about $50k is a stretch too far. It has to be a SUV/hatchback. Model S is really appealing (second hand) but unsure about long term issues at the moment (we'll keep it ages and ages)

The iPace is appealing in so many ways except too expensive (I think Jag should have marketed it just above the F-Pace). Nice interior but I'm already beginning to drift towards 'appreciating' the Model 3 simplicity. I have a reservation in for an M3 (when it - and Tesla - eventually arrive in Africa) but I'll most probably hang out for the Model Y (oh hell is that a wait till 2021 now?!)

After waiting and watching EVs for 5 years this is driving me bananas....!

At the moment the only soon-ish options seem to be the Hyundai Kona and the Volvo VC40 EV (which is promised 'soon') - maybe the long range Leaf 2.

Uh, I listed the criteria.

It's pretty well accepted that Tesla has some issues with fit/finish on the Model S/X that other manufactures like Jaguar simply don't have.

Do you need to borrow some calipers so you can compare the two?

The panel gap is so bad on my Model S that I have to clean leaves out from inside them.

Now I do acknowledge that I've never washed an I-PACE. This is really where these annoyances come up, and when I tend to chuckle at Tesla when I wash my S. I do this despite it being easily one of my favorite if not favorite cars I've driven.

Some of us like myself like a vehicle despite some annoyances. Heck my Jeep Wrangler has some slow leak in the roof/doors that I can't find. So I actually have to drive it a few times a week during fall/spring/winter to keep it dry inside or mold will grow. If I let it go too long it actually feels like it's raining inside my car due to the condensation.

As much of a fan of the Jeep Wrangler that I am I have to accept the faults it has.

Just like I do with Tesla. It's not like this forum isn't well documented with user stories of fit/finish issues that don't exist on European forums. This was never a thing when I obsessively followed a Porsche forum when I had a Cayman S.

Ahh the old shorts playbook. Panel gaps. Panel gaps I tell you! Nothing else matters. Any car that has panel gaps must have horrible quality!

Plus, it is well documented the model three does not even have significant panel gaps.

What this really indicates, is there is nothing significant to which the shorts can cling. Oh my gosh the user interface is terrible. Look at those panel gaps. This tells you how superb is this car.

Reactions: EinSV
Uh, I listed the criteria.

It's pretty well accepted that Tesla has some issues with fit/finish on the Model S/X that other manufactures like Jaguar simply don't have.

Do you need to borrow some calipers so you can compare the two?

The panel gap is so bad on my Model S that I have to clean leaves out from inside them.

Now I do acknowledge that I've never washed an I-PACE. This is really where these annoyances come up, and when I tend to chuckle at Tesla when I wash my S. I do this despite it being easily one of my favorite if not favorite cars I've driven.

Some of us like myself like a vehicle despite some annoyances. Heck my Jeep Wrangler has some slow leak in the roof/doors that I can't find. So I actually have to drive it a few times a week during fall/spring/winter to keep it dry inside or mold will grow. If I let it go too long it actually feels like it's raining inside my car due to the condensation.

As much of a fan of the Jeep Wrangler that I am I have to accept the faults it has.

Just like I do with Tesla. It's not like this forum isn't well documented with user stories of fit/finish issues that don't exist on European forums. This was never a thing when I obsessively followed a Porsche forum when I had a Cayman S.
How did you deduce the quality if the I-Pace? Psychic ability?

Ahh the old shorts playbook. Panel gaps. Panel gaps I tell you! Nothing else matters. Any car that has panel gaps must have horrible quality!

Plus, it is well documented the model three does not even have significant panel gaps.

What this really indicates, is there is nothing significant to which the shorts can cling. Oh my gosh the user interface is terrible. Look at those panel gaps. This tells you how superb is this car.

Why are we talking about shorts? I've owned my Model S since 2015, and I'm likely going to get the 3. I don't own any stock, and I morally against shorting stock.

How did you deduce the quality if the I-Pace? Psychic ability?

It would take psychic ability to deduce the reliability/durability, and under the hood quality.

But, for the interior quality, fit/finish, etc it's pretty easy to deduce what the I-PACE would be. It's not like there aren't a lot of new Jaguars and Range Rovers to get a good idea of what they're like today.

Now of course there is also durability of the interior, and that's important too. One reason I traded in my Range Rover Sport was even though the interior was REALLY NICE I found it to be rather weak. Like any little thing would scratch it, and I found that to be really annoying considering it was an SUV. I imagine the Jag is the same way where it looks nice, but don't let anything rub against it.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs

I have owned cars for 30 years and never heard of or known of panel gaps until the last 18 months or so that I have been following Tesla more closely. I still don't see panel gaps when I look at a car. If you need a caliper to enjoy your Tesla or any automobile, your doing it wrong.

Reactions: kbM3 and 03DSG
Isn’t the interior space & cargo of iPace similar to M3?

Model 3 has 10 mm more headroom in front (same difference with/without glass roof for both)
Model 3 has 4 mm less headroom on 2nd row (or 11 mm less when I-Pace has glass roof).
Model 3 has 44 mm more legroom in front and 4 mm more legroom 2nd row.
Model 3 has 2,3 cubic feet less cargo (with seats up).

Lazy mode: an inch is 25,4 mm :)

So for people in front seats, the Model 3 is more spacious, but in the back it is very similar to the I-Pace.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
Model 3 has 10 mm more headroom in front (same difference with/without glass roof for both)
Model 3 has 4 mm less headroom on 2nd row (or 11 mm less when I-Pace has glass roof).
Model 3 has 44 mm more legroom in front and 4 mm more legroom 2nd row.
Model 3 has 2,3 cubic feet less cargo (with seats up).

Lazy mode: an inch is 25,4 mm :)

So for people in front seats, the Model 3 is more spacious, but in the back it is very similar to the I-Pace.
The ride height of the I-PACE is higher though right?

Sorry but I don't really understand why these two cars are even in the same discussion, other than the fact that they are both electric. Will the Model 3 ever reach the base price of an I-Pace? If it does it will certainly be a Ludicrous, every box ticked version. This seems like a pointless conversation (of which I have just participated, HA!)

Dan

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't really understand why these two cars are even in the same discussion, other than the fact that they are both electric. Will the Model 3 ever reach the base price of an I-Pace? If it does it will certainly be a Ludicrous, every box ticked version. This seem like a pointless conversation (of which I have just participated, HA!)

Dan
Every electric vehicle ends up being compared to Tesla. Look at all the Bolt vs Model 3 conversations we had...

Sorry but I don't really understand why these two cars are even in the same discussion, other than the fact that they are both electric. Will the Model 3 ever reach the base price of an I-Pace? If it does it will certainly be a Ludicrous, every box ticked version. This seems like a pointless conversation (of which I have just participated, HA!)

Dan
I agree, to me very different vehicles.

The ride height of the I-PACE is higher though right?

I think so.
Ground clearance: Model 3 = 140 mm (5,51 inch), I-Pace = 142 mm (5,59 inch) and Model X = 171 (6,7 inch).
Height (total car): Model 3 = 1443 mm (56,8 inch), I-Pace = 1565 mm (61,6 inch) and Model X = 1684 mm (66,3 inch).

I'm not sure if you mean by "ride height" the ground clearance (probably), or the seating position of the occupants. English is not my first language ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: diamond.g
I think so.
Ground clearance: Model 3 = 140 mm (5,51 inch), I-Pace = 142 mm (5,59 inch) and Model X = 171 (6,7 inch).
Height (total car): Model 3 = 1443 mm (56,8 inch), I-Pace = 1565 mm (61,6 inch) and Model X = 1684 mm (66,3 inch).

I'm not sure if you mean by "ride height" the ground clearance (probably), or the seating position of the occupants. English is not my first language ;)
You got it right, I meant ground clearance.

Reactions: CO2CLEAN
Seating in the I-Pace looks better though, unless you are pretty tall.

2018-03-09 13_57_52-2018 Jaguar I-Pace quick drive review - YouTube.png