Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-PACE vs TM3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My preference would be I-Pace all day if the price were competitive with the 3.

Still dreading seeing how underwhelming the $35k 3's interior will be after being disappointed with the $49k version's interior. Assuming of course that Tesla ever actually ends up manufacturing a $35k Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne

Still dreading seeing how underwhelming the $35k 3's interior will be after being disappointed with the $49k version's interior. Assuming of course that Tesla ever actually ends up manufacturing a $35k Model 3.

You would generally prefer the amenities available in a more expensive vehicle, vs a cheaper one?

I'm shocked, shocked, I tells yah!

Reactions: jgs
The entry level I-Pace starts at 80.330 Euro incl. VAT. The entry level lacks among others, the following functions and stuff that comes with the full option Model 3:
- Leather seats, heated seats
- Electric folding side mirrors
- High speed emergency braking
- Adaptive cruise control (TACC)
- Heated front windshield + wipers
- Blind spot assist
- DAB+
- Homelink
- Glass roof (The I-Pace comes standard with solid roof)

The Model 3 does not have heated front windshield or wipers as an option or standard.

If long distance travel is part of your mission, then you're right. If it isn't (because you don't use a car that way, or own another ICE car that handles travel well, or can rent one) then not so much.
Robin

Exactly! If you frequently travel long distance, then the supercharger network is a HUGE advantage that no other companies can overcome any time soon. However, if you also have an ICE for that purpose, then all other factors come into play for comparisons. For us, we rarely go over 100-150 miles/day, except when we do go 300+ miles, maybe once or twice a year. There's an ICE in our household for that rare occasion. So now we're comparing interior appointments, QC, availability of service and dealers, looks and feel of the vehicle,......

I completely understand. Personally though my preference would be McLaren 720S all day if the price were competitive with the 3.

[

I basically came to the same conclusion that despite being a nicer overall vehicle (quality, fit/finish, interior materials, etc) the I-PACE is not really competitive to what Tesla has to offer largely because of the lack of a substantial Charging Network.

Exactly how did you deduce the I-Pace is higher quality than the Tesla?

Reactions: jgs
I can only wonder about the reliability of the I-PACE. Granted, many of the parts that chronically failed on ICE Jags don't exist, so maybe they can get ownership down to two rather than three.

"You need the Jags: One to drive, one in the shop waiting for parts, one being towed to the shop."

This was true of older Jags. Newer Jags are much more reliable. I have had my 2015 F-Type R for 3 years now and it has been a champ. Only had to take it in for yearly services. Dealer service network needs to be more customer friendly, though.

Disappointed with the Model 3's interior. I was underwhelmed by the $49k Model 3's interior (other than the glass roof) - one of the reasons I cancelled was concern over how much worse the $35k interior might end up being, if they ever actually build it.

After spending a few hours with a $49k Model 3, I just didn't feel like it was that nice of a car (interior) and am dreading seeing how much they strip down the $35k car.

You’re way in the minority on that opinion. Most reviewers love the interior. Most concepts are heading in the direction of sparse interiors. To me, it appears you’re stuck in the past. To each his own I guess.

Reactions: 03DSG
will Jag offer a subscription service?
You’re way in the minority on that opinion. Most reviewers love the interior. Most concepts are heading in the direction of sparse interiors. To me, it appears you’re stuck in the past. To each his own I guess.
LOL, way to jump to conclusions.

I appreciate the minimalist interior, just don't dig the cheapness of materials used or finishing. Carpeting was frying in areas, wood felt and looked like fake plastic, seat leatherette didn't feel as nice as what you can find on a newer Honda or Toyota (more plasticy than leathery?). Only thing I truly liked about interior was the feeling of spaciousness that the glass roof created. I guess the sound system was good, though I'm not a big music/sound system person so wasn't really impressed or disappointed with it.

I think that a Model 3 with the Volvo XC40's interior would be a home run, especially for $35k, and I'd definitely still be in line for one.

[
Exactly how did you deduce the I-Pace is higher quality than the Tesla?

Uh, I listed the criteria.

It's pretty well accepted that Tesla has some issues with fit/finish on the Model S/X that other manufactures like Jaguar simply don't have.

Do you need to borrow some calipers so you can compare the two?

The panel gap is so bad on my Model S that I have to clean leaves out from inside them.

Now I do acknowledge that I've never washed an I-PACE. This is really where these annoyances come up, and when I tend to chuckle at Tesla when I wash my S. I do this despite it being easily one of my favorite if not favorite cars I've driven.

Some of us like myself like a vehicle despite some annoyances. Heck my Jeep Wrangler has some slow leak in the roof/doors that I can't find. So I actually have to drive it a few times a week during fall/spring/winter to keep it dry inside or mold will grow. If I let it go too long it actually feels like it's raining inside my car due to the condensation.

As much of a fan of the Jeep Wrangler that I am I have to accept the faults it has.

Just like I do with Tesla. It's not like this forum isn't well documented with user stories of fit/finish issues that don't exist on European forums. This was never a thing when I obsessively followed a Porsche forum when I had a Cayman S.

The vast majority of the reviews I've read taken issue with the level of minimization they took it to. I would say I'm a minimalist, and I like some elements of the Model 3's design.

But, there are things where they took it too far.

We have a thread on TMC about people accidently selecting neutral when trying to turn on the adaptive cruise control
We have a poll thread on TMC about the noise level of the fan for the interior HVAC. So apparently the cool feature of the Model S comes with a massive caveat.
We have other people complaining about Wind noise of the three.

Now some of these things will just end up being quirks. I'll likely get the 3 despite these things. I'll still compare it against other electric cars that have adaptive cruise control.

The Model 3 does not have heated front windshield or wipers as an option or standard.

In addition to that the Model S/X doesn't really have a heated windshield either.

So if you're someone who loves a heated windshield like I do the I-PACE is the winner (for that category). Now keep in mind some people hate these types of heated windshield since they have wires in them, and you can see them. It drives some people nuts, but I never had an issue with it on my Range Rover Sport.