Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
God I remember this guy and all his insufferable ramblings about how GM was so far ahead and how Jaguar wouldn’t beta test on their customers and that established automakers have extreme processes in place to prevent defects. On and on and on ad nauseam.

Meanwhile his I-Pace has a failing battery pack and a seemingly endless string of software problems. That whole forum is a train wreck of software issues, vehicle defects, manufacturer buybacks, and whining about the recent $20,000 price cuts needed to move those turkeys off the lot.

I hope everyone there gets a satisfactory resolution to their defective cars but I can’t say I’m not enjoying McRat getting a nice slab of humble pie.

The sad thing is that it isn’t only servicing EVs that is the problem. I recently had an Infiniti suv in the shop for warranty engine repairs. It broke down on the street a week after I got it back because they didn’t put the engine back together properly. And that’sa Japanese luxury brand. Dealers just kinda suck.

I still like this car (although I have never test-driven one!). You can definitely get some crazy deals on them and it would be a tough choice between the i-Pace and a loaded Model 3 Performance. Sadly, it might come down to what it often does...Supercharging (or the lack thereof).

I have to admit though...the Mach E appears to offer a lot of the benefit for even less.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes, we had a RAV4 EV for a while (the so-called Baby Tesla since it was a joint venture), but Toyota sold it as a compliance car, and never gave it the range and features it should have had. If Toyota had just put into that RAV4 EV what it put into the Prius Prime, with some Tesla range, Toyota wouldn't be able to make RAV4 EVs fast enough.
You do know the fundamental differences they had, right? Here is a very old article.
Insight: Toyota-Tesla Partnership "Marred By Clashes Between Engineers"

The mindset is very different between the two companies. For those conflicts or otherwise, RaV4 EV also had lot of quality issues. I don't think Toyota wanted to damage its reputation on reliability. It is not so easy to work in a partnership with huge differences in approaches.
I guess, most automakers view it that way.
InsideEVs contributor Tony Williams offered a quote to Bloomberg on his 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV itself after having it in the shop for more than 30 days - "The RAV4 is a frickin’ nightmare"

RAV4 sales are doing great BTW. Last month, RAV4 sold 44k in USA, about 10k of those were hybrids. And soon comes the plug-in RAV4 with 39 miles of AER. These high sales are going on for a long time, not just one or to years then flop.

• Funny
Reactions: Skryll and mblakele
Agree this is primarily a GEN1 EV issue for Jaguar and NOT a general reliability issue with the JLR brand in general. I had a Jag back in 2001 for 2 yrs on lease - did not have a single issue over 2 yrs > the suspension and ride was BMW-esq - fantastic. And about 10 yrs ago they won various reliability and owner satisfaction awards in categories that in some yrs beat out Lexus and other top brands. Jaguars notoriously poor 80's reliability with electronics and control systems was entirely resolved once Ford owned them and fixed those areas (but sadly broke the brand/image/design in other ways) until finally TATA Motors acquired JLR and reversed course.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
My Momma told me that I should have been a lawyer. And that was even before Jaguar started selling EVs. She was a smart gal...

Looks to be pretty contagious whatever is going around...

ipace 3.jpg

ipace 1.jpg

ipace 5.jpg

ipace 6.jpg

ipace 2.jpg

ipace 4.jpg

I followed that forum for a while when deliveries started, as I was somewhat interested in the Jaguar offering. McRat and one other guy were such cheerleaders in the face of disaster that it made the forum unreadable. It didn't help that there only seemed to be 3-4 regular posters. I will say that watching him made me very careful not to be too pro-Tesla. Ignoring real problems and spinning tough issues only makes people more annoyed with the brand IMO.

Seems the Jaguar braking fix was a software patch that, get this, required owners to lug their cars into dealers for a fix.

A lot of people were wondering how Tesla could afford to give their cars free connectivity. A year’s worth of connectivity to enable a single critical over the air software patch would probably cover the cost of a manual recall.

Seems the Jaguar braking fix was a software patch that, get this, required owners to lug their cars into dealers for a fix.

Yup. Several hours of my life I'll never get back. The update itself took a few hours and there was something else they had to attend to. Yeah, they needed to replace the sticker on the charge flap due to some incorrect information. Not that I ever looked at said information in my life. At least they had nice biscuits at the dealership!

So it's been seven years since Tesla came out with these listed innovations. I find it interesting that NO existing car manufacturer has decided to copy ANY of these innovations. I mean, really?

- over the air software updates to fix problems
- over the air enhancements to the car
- high amperage Mobile Connector with multiple plug options
- supercharger network

Reactions: hiroshiy