Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys should not be so tough on Jaguar, until I purchased my first Tesla I owned Jaguars since 1970. I loved them and honestly not that many problems and most of those were fixed when Ford purchased Jaguar in 1989. I think the ipace is a nice looking vehicle and as with many new cars with new technology they have their problems. If Tesla was not in existence I would have an ipace.

If Tesla was not in existence, there would be no iPace. Jaguar only makes it (well, Steyr only makes it for Jaguar.) in response to the change and threat that Tesla is.

Jaguar has done some interesting things - I loved the C-X75 concept car - but aside from that car a decade ago they’ve never been one to push electrification.

If Tesla was not in existence, there would be no iPace. Jaguar only makes it (well, Steyr only makes it for Jaguar.) in response to the change and threat that Tesla is.

Jaguar has done some interesting things - I loved the C-X75 concept car - but aside from that car a decade ago they’ve never been one to push electrification.
To be fair to Jaguar which mainstream automaker has been pushing for electrification prior to the threat from Tesla? GM was against it they destroyed their original, lease only, electric cars. It's quite interesting lore as to why.

To be fair to Jaguar which mainstream automaker has been pushing for electrification prior to the threat from Tesla? GM was against it they destroyed their original, lease only, electric cars. It's quite interesting lore as to why.

Not all the GM EVs were destroyed, some are in private hands, just not the EV1. The S10EV might some day be a collector car.
Lease Only EVs are not new. Yes, all are destroyed, ask Honda.

JLR moved into electrification at a higher risk than VW and Toyota combined. 11% of Jaguars sold in 2019 were I-Paces.
It's not Tesla driving EV mandates, it's governments. EVs existed before Tesla was founded.

Reactions: Zer0t

Yeah, all the legacy makers have big sunk cost and IP reasons to keep the ICE profits coming.

Historically, GM has been an innovator in general and in electrification in particular. In the mid-80s they were working with subcontractor partners on a “look at all the cool things we can do” EV project, and CARB looked at it and said “EVs are practical now, so we’re going to mandate you all build them.”

That led to all the late 90s EVs, none of which were actually profitable for the manufacturers without the penalty terms of the CARB mandate, and when the manufacturers got that overturned, all of them planned to buy them back and crush them, I believe mostly for warranty/parts support reasons.

(Toyota eventually relented on the RAV4 because of intense public pressure, but it was easier for them because it was a legacy platform that already had support for most parts from the ICE side.)

Reactions: JGInnovation
You guys should not be so tough on Jaguar, until I purchased my first Tesla I owned Jaguars since 1970. I loved them and honestly not that many problems and most of those were fixed when Ford purchased Jaguar in 1989. I think the ipace is a nice looking vehicle and as with many new cars with new technology they have their problems. If Tesla was not in existence I would have an ipace.
I don't have your Jaguar experience but I remember my dad cursing Lucas electrics, and I've seen Mad Men.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
It’s pretty safe to say that no matter how nice a car the I-Pace may be it’s a total marketplace failure.

Six months of inventory and $20,000 discounts one year into the launch don’t point to any sort of success.

If you want entertainment head on over to the I-Pace forums. The most popular threads are for battery faults and vehicle buybacks. Those Jags make Teslas look like Toyotas as far as reliability goes. Total jalopies.

I've enjoyed driving my I-PACE for £400 /mo. I don't know what people mean about heavy discounts. :eek:

...But I'd never pay full price for one. There are too many areas the Model 3 is better in and I genuinely don't think this car is worth it if you're paying full price or anywhere near that. Guess everyone will make their own minds up about that. But my next car is going to be a Model 3.

For people wanting to buy a premium long range BEV but did not want to buy a Tesla (because of Elon,no service facility near them, fear of Teslas being orphaned, too different user interface, or whatever) I Pace was the only alternative for about a year.

Now Audi Etron is eating the I-Paces lunch in the premium not Tesla BEV category. Etron is the 8th best selling BEV globally. Audi is simply a much stronger brand with wider distribution because the Etron is not a much better BEV than I-Pace.

Reactions: wreighven
Anyone care to violate their NDA and share a nice iPace buyback story? ;)

InsideEVs : Jaguar Reportedly Buying Back Defective I-Paces With Non-Disclosure Clauses.
Jaguar Reportedly Buying Back Defective I-Paces With Non-Disclosure Clauses

I would love to hear the stories... but not likely to happen due the NDA with Jaguar. :cool:

forum-threads-suggest-jaguar-could-be-lemon-laundering-the-i-pace.jpg

Do people remember an incessant whiner named McRat who infested this forum until he departed for the JLR promised land ? This will surprise no one, but he dumped his i-Pace back on JLR through an NDA buyback. My fingers are crossed that he tries Audi next, presuming he is not blacklisted.

Maybe he got a killer deal on a Mirai? :D

RT

I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case and share your sentiment that they get it right. I'd be happy to see robust competition from all makers. The true beneficiaries of a competitive landscape are we the consumer.
It's a matter of overblown expectations. If these manufacturers would just advertise their cars as expensive but inferior Tesla wannabees they would attract the right consumers. As is, they pay for the hubris.