Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
28378553_971322573019907_1763794757938903566_n.jpg

That seems hardly worth the effort...

I have to agree. I'm not even sure our paper grocery bags would fit in there let alone a backpak or duffle bag. That stepped interior in it is very strange. I can see why they didn't show this at the announcment or in any press photos I saw. Anyone seen the trunk cargo space yet?

For those saying this will not steal sales from Tesla: One of my friends is a reservation holder and is out in Graz as a guest of Jaguar, having considered a Model S for a while and two more are thinking of ditching their 3 orders for it.

Maybe worse still is Tesla defectors. I know I'm not alone in thinking the service levels are SOO cra@p outside the US, that we've simply had enough.

You need be one gullible fool to take a Jaguar produced video and conclude the IPace is a faster car than the X. The Model X can seat 7 and tow an IPace behind it. There is zero debate on the versatility of one versus the other.

Next test is a IPace versus a fully loaded Tesla Semi?

IPace is destroyed by the S in both acceleration, range, storage, charging, autonomy and price.

IPace -barely- edges out a Model 3 (and for much more money) if you are content with a car that that you can drive a few towns over and then head back or spend significant time mapping charging stops and much longer breaks while on the road.

Sure, that was my premise. :)

I said “if you believe Electrify America’s latest statements on their website...”.

We will have a better sense of how EA is holding to their schedule by spring of next year.

There are a couple of key things here:

1. Believing Electrify America (VW)

2. Regardless of the developer, the jarring transition from no non-Tesla 150 kW coast-to-coast highway charging network in the US to having one next summer

It’s hard for folks to believe this will really happen on schedule. I think it’s a very aggressive plan.

It doesn’t help that most major EV news sites like InsideEVs, Electrek, GreenCarReports, etc. still haven’t highlighted EA’s new highway route map even though it’s been available for weeks now. Electrek went so far as to write an article focused on a new European charging network being partially funded by VW Group and used an image of that planned European route map from VW Group that included a version of an EA US route map along side of it to illustrate their story but did not mention anything about the US network in the article....

I think this is mostly because EA is not yet actively flogging the map in a press release and most coverage is driven by press releases.
Color me skeptical of EA's timeline. In their original submission to CARB, there were supposed to be 50+ charging locations live in 4Q17. There are none. I have searched exhaustively and can't find any charging locations that are active. Their network isn't even listed in PlugShare.

As the computer industry saying goes: Don't confuse selling with installing.

Reactions: techmaven
You need be one gullible fool to take a Jaguar produced video and conclude the IPace is a faster car than the X. The Model X can seat 7 and tow an IPace behind it. There is zero debate on the versatility of one versus the other.

Next test is a IPace versus a fully loaded Tesla Semi?

IPace is destroyed by the S in both acceleration, range, storage, charging, autonomy and price.

IPace -barely- edges out a Model 3 (and for much more money) if you are content with a car that that you can drive a few towns over and then head back or spend significant time mapping charging stops and much longer breaks while on the road.

While the I-Pace is slower, less efficient, and lacking in DCFC network support compared to Model S and X, I think this may not matter in the short term.

The car has enough of its own merit to warrant attention. The interior amenities and storage compartments look better than what you’d find in the S and X. The interior design and materials will appeal to many. For people who want an urban/suburban runabout with style, this fits the bill.

Jaguar will succeed here because they created a compelling product in a hot market segment. Something like a Bolt or Leaf doesn’t stir a lot of emotion in most people. Judging by the reaction to the I-Pace, plenty of people think it’s great. Jaguar will have to work to keep the I-Pace competitive though, as new products like Model Y will enter the compact crossover market in the next few

Reactions: smac and dennis
Storage compartments? People interested in EVs have much greater priorities than storage compartments. Let Jaguar win on storage compartments. I’d rather Tesla compete with its dealer-free buying experience, car performance, and seamless travel experience on the supercharger network.

It's an air channel. The grille scoops in air, it goes through there and out the vent you can see on the hood, then over the roof. They claimed it aids aerodynamic performance. You can see through there when standing by the wing mirrors.

For those saying this will not steal sales from Tesla: One of my friends is a reservation holder and is out in Graz as a guest of Jaguar, having considered a Model S for a while and two more are thinking of ditching their 3 orders for it.

It’s a beautiful car and surely will steal more X/S orders. Refined, comfortable, and tech is there with more features potentially and comfort items in the cabin. Would wait and see how reliability is as it’s a first year electric and learning always happens in mass production.

I found it interesting how they flat out State it has a full 8 year warranty, and define it as including battery if falls below 70% health in that time. Nice.

Color me skeptical of EA's timeline. In their original submission to CARB, there were supposed to be 50+ charging locations live in 4Q17. There are none.
That’s obsolete information.

CARB pushed back on some aspects of EA’s submission and the process dragged on until they finally came to a agreement in late July, 2017 about 3 months later than the original schedule called for (the separate national EPA-reviewed plan was approved on time around April).

A month before the eventual approval, EA put out a supplemental response to CARB which noted in section 8.6 (Timelines) that:

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/downloads/get/1019583

The schedules in the Cycle 1 CA ZEV Investment Plan called for Electrify America’s investment in California to have already begun. However, Electrify America is not making additional investments before the Plan is approved, as it is not able to confirm that such investments would be creditable. All site evaluation and selection work in California has been put on hold indefinitely. The first contracts to build more than 100 charging stations by the end of 2017 are on permanent hold. And all advertising buys and other education efforts have been cancelled. As Electrify America and CARB have discussed, Electrify America will have to restructure its investment schedules and milestones to accommodate this unexpected delay, and the scale of that adjustment will be dictated by the final date upon which CARB approves Electrify America to begin investments. Electrify America’s investment in California will be delayed – but it is not possible for Electrify America to provide a new schedule without knowing CARB’s timing, or its intention to approve or disapprove the Cycle 1 CA ZEV Investment Plan.

As I presently understand it, the final ending date for cycle 1 of California is still the original June, 2019.

I don’t think they have publicly disclosed an updated timeline since the final approval was completed in late July. It seems likely that an updated schedule may be included in EA’s first annual public progress report which should come out sometime in the next few weeks.

Storage compartments? People interested in EVs have much greater priorities than storage compartments. Let Jaguar win on storage compartments. I’d rather Tesla compete with its dealer-free buying experience, car performance, and seamless travel experience on the supercharger network.

I recall Elon Musk saying that he wanted to build a great car that just happens to be an EV.

If the goal of Tesla is to get all people interested in EVs, not just win the business of EV enthusiasts, the design of the car has to reflect that. The storage compartments actually do matter a great deal to many customers. We see that reflected in Model 3, which has plenty of cup holders, door pockets, and bins.

Catering to people interested in EVs doesn’t accelerate the transition to a sustainable future. Automakers have to get everyone on board, including those who couldn’t care less about powertrains. This means building cars that match people’s practical needs.

Reactions: brucet999
While the I-Pace is slower, less efficient, and lacking in DCFC network support compared to Model S and X, I think this may not matter in the short term.

The car has enough of its own merit to warrant attention. The interior amenities and storage compartments look better than what you’d find in the S and X. The interior design and materials will appeal to many. For people who want an urban/suburban runabout with style, this fits the bill.

Jaguar will succeed here because they created a compelling product in a hot market segment. Something like a Bolt or Leaf doesn’t stir a lot of emotion in most people. Judging by the reaction to the I-Pace, plenty of people think it’s great. Jaguar will have to work to keep the I-Pace competitive though, as new products like Model Y will enter the compact crossover market in the next few

It's hard enough to sell a 49K Model 3 that can take you from SF to New York. I don't think an ipace at nearing double that Model 3 price someone can purchase as a toy that limits you to short trips.

Style over substance? - Perhaps.

We'll see how much disposal income can be thrown around at a grocery getter/soccer parent car.

What's up with the 124mph top speed? Gearing tricks to win the 0-60 race, bad aero, or what?

Any word on 1/4 mile time or highway passing performance for IPace?

I found the races against the X stopping at exactly 60 a little suspicious.

The iPace pretending it beats the X in anything tangible is a lie. Keeping on repeating that lie over and over could become the truth in peoples minds. If the 1/4 trap speed is better, you will hear about it. Jaguar controls all the information at the moment.

The story Jaguar is going to keep on sticking to is its faster than a X 75D and X 100D.

The moment Tesla can get its hands on an iPace watch the

P100D Model X towing a Jaguar iPace vs a Jaguar iPace and hilarity will ensue.

but but but.. the P100D is more expensive.

So is the iPace is more expensive than the S and not as good so what's the point? Doesn't stop Jaguar from comparing an apple to a rutabaga.

Reactions: Big Earl
Indeed:

Blog - Model X Sets New SUV Record in the Quarter-Mile

The iPace pretending it beats the X in anything tangible is a lie. Keeping on repeating that lie over and over could become the truth in peoples minds. If the 1/4 trap speed is better, you will hear about it. Jaguar controls all the information at the moment.

The story Jaguar is going to keep on sticking to is its faster than a X 75D and X 100D.

The moment Tesla can get its hands on an iPace watch the

P100D Model X towing a Jaguar iPace vs a Jaguar iPace and hilarity will ensue.

but but but.. the P100D is more expensive.

So is the iPace is more expensive than the S and not as good so what's the point? Doesn't stop Jaguar from comparing an apple to a rutabaga.

That’s obsolete information.

CARB pushed back on some aspects of EA’s submission and the process dragged on until they finally came to a agreement in late July, 2017 about 3 months later than the original schedule called for (the separate national EPA-reviewed plan was approved on time around April).

A month before the eventual approval, EA put out a supplemental response to CARB which noted in section 8.6 (Timelines) that:

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/downloads/get/1019583

As I presently understand it, the final ending date for cycle 1 of California is still the original June, 2019.

I don’t think they have publicly disclosed an updated timeline since the final approval was completed in late July. It seems likely that an updated schedule may be included in EA’s first annual public progress report which should come out sometime in the next few weeks.
I noticed that you didn't respond to the second part of my post, about the inability to find a single Electrify America charger live anywhere in the US. I was previously unaware about EA putting their CA work on hold. But what about their nationwide charging network in the other 49 states? Their first 30-month investment period will be half over at the end of this month. If you expect them to meet their June 30, 2019 rollout goal, wouldn't you expect there to be at least one charger live at the end of 14 months?

I put together the attached M3 LR/i-Pace/MX75D comparo based on publicly available specifications. The estimated US price for the i-Pace is based on the ratio of i-Pace to X75D pricing in the UK. Hopefully Jaguar will announce US pricing at the Geneva show next week. Feedback welcome.

Attachments

• I-Pace Comparo.pdf
    59.5 KB · Views: 85
Biggest unknown at this point is liquid thermal management. There I could not find any mention of such in the brochure or other literature released yesterday. Jaguar writes about advanced thermal management but provides no details. The cut away diagrams also don’t show it, nor did I see it in videos showing the pack and cells.
Jaguar has worked in the past with Rimac to make cars such as the E-type Zero. I have no idea if they worked with them in the I-Pace, but if they did the claims would much probably be true.

it will be interesting to see some real world reviews. It's no Model X (in size etc) but it's great to see more mainstream manufacturers come out with a full EV. Jag know about quality but quality materials = more weight so will see how the range pans out.

My big negative with it would be the slow charging. That really limits it for me. People charging at home and doing school runs/commutes should be ok though and that's maybe where Jag are focused.