Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Norway, the few fastest working CCS delivers max 200A at the moment, as they lack water cooled cables required for 175 kW. I was out looking at one today which definetly have water cooled cable, but it was not yet operational. My car has the fabled 100 kW update.

NedFast in the Netherlands though have water cooled 175 kW chargers in operation, but suspect a protocol issue with the I-pace since the EQC and the e-tron charges at around 140 kW with their fastest chargers.

Guess we have to wait 3-6 months for a new update!

I also read an interview with an engineer called Patel that stated the I-pace to be AWD from 30 mph already, this could very well explain the poor efficiency. (Tesla is rwd to 50ish mph and fwd above when power used is below 40-50 kW.)

I also read an interview with an engineer called Patel that stated the I-pace to be AWD from 30 mph already, this could very well explain the poor efficiency. (Tesla is rwd to 50ish mph and fwd above when power used is below 40-50 kW.)
You need to provide real sources. My ScanMyTesla (scan my tesla) app shows Tesla AWD at a variety of speeds. 'Range Mode' changes some aspects of this.

Fire sale on I-Pace...

Jaguar I-PACE electric SUV caught on fire, automaker is investigating the cause

ipace_zpsxpd6d3sz.jpg

Just saw this while checking out latest news. Holy crap looks like the whole front of the car was devoured. Pretty expensive loss for the owner. From the ipaceforums in the UK, it sounds likely that this was the work of a car arsonist: I-Pace in flames - Jaguar I-Pace Forum (btw it's definitely an i-Pace from the photo of the rear of the car). The poor owner only had it registered 2 days prior.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Odd that the vast majority of auto reviewers love the I-Pace to death and yet it's crapped on here.
That's because most of the people on here are more invested in the EV aspect of their Teslas than the luxury aspects of the Jaguar.

For me, the moment the Jaguar was announced, I was done with Tesla. I only had a Tesla as a temporary solution until an actual EV luxury car was released. (The just-revealed Audi e-Tron is icing on the cake for late next year.)

The I-Pace is not a perfect EV, but it's a stellar luxury car. Even though the Toyota Prius has better mileage and efficiency than an Infiniti Q50, I would never be caught dead in one! The Prius is the antithesis of driving, IMHO. (There's a reason South Park refers to it as the "Pious.")

Teslas are fast and have lots of cool software & tech, but they fall short of a level of luxury that I've missed since moving from a 2011 Infiniti M56 to a 2012 Chevrolet Volt. I was assuaged for a while by the ELR, but that car had so many problems and was so overpriced that I quickly moved on to the Tesla Model S. I briefly tried Cadillac again with the CT6 PHEV, and that was a fantastic luxury car... but even with 31 EV miles it didn't qualify for carpool lane stickers (due to its stupid high tailpipe emissions), so I got rid of that car too. I'm currently back in a Volt waiting for my Jaguar to arrive. Can't wait.

My wife's Rav4 EV was her gateway from a Cadillac Escalade to the Tesla Model X, and she's loves the EV aspect, but misses the Escalade's luxury and height. As soon as an Escalade (or even XT5) equivalent is announced, I'm sure she'll be done with Tesla too. I wouldn't be surprised if the e-Tron is her escape.

I admit, I change cars far too often and let stupid little problems goad me into making a change. But we're blessed to have the means to be that persnickety, so we enjoy being a little fickle. Were we paying for a Tesla with every last bit of free cash we had, I'm sure I'd be a lot less irreconcilable and a lot more grateful.

Although long term Tesla fan and follower, I was really impressed by the I-Pace when I first saw it and as we are not able to get any Teslas here in South Africa and I knew the I-Pace was coming to SA, I joined the I-Pace owners forum to follow developments.

For months there was excitement; impatience; rumours; concern (about the reduced range) and lots of anticipation!

Now the cars are flowing out into the market, real life feedback is starting to appear - and it is not all rosy.....

Feels like the early days of Tesla and the Model S. Software; motor replacements; hardware issues etc. I'm not surprised as it is the first EV for Jaguar (and they seem to be having a rough ride at present anyway). Hopefully they address the issues as Tesla (mainly) did in the early days so that the support and enthusiasm is kept alive.

Now let's monitor how all the other EVs coming to market pan out!

Our ipace came in and we drove it home a few days ago. The interior is gorgeous, especially with the extended leather. Seats are comfy and highly adjustable. More lumbar than even I need, and just enough thigh support. Of course the seat is ventilated. Front window defrosts. In Photon Red, the car looks crazy hot. In gray, it's a bit dull. The stereo is excellent. Getting anything more for a car would be silly. It does outdo the last Model X premium i tried out, but quite a bit. Clear, loud, and with some eq, bassy. The ride is stunningly good, and it handles on proverbial rails. It doesn't feel fat on a twist road, like the Model X does. Regular doors. Plenty of room in the back seat. A massive trunk, unexpectedly so. I was shocked. The frunk is a joke, more for emergency supplies, but with the huge trunk, that doesn't matter. I plan on leaving a larger emergency bag in there, with clothes, water, and food for the whole family. The panoramic roof is huge. I'd rather have a plain roof, TBH, but it's cool. I think we could end of doing a vinyl rap on the roof.

The interior is that of a 90k car. Solid, quiet, and gorgeous. We went black all around. The HUD is super useful, helping keep eyes on the road. I'm a huge fan. Acceleration is strong, strong, strong. It's not as fast a P model, sure, but it's close enough as to not matter. It's already in the "i feel my brain moving inside my skull... ugh!" range.

Almost one pedal driving is cool. The regen breaking is super strong if you choose it that way, and it can slow you to a stop. You just have to learn the distancing. It won't do the stop on an incline, though. In the end, I think using the brake pedal for the last 1mph is fine. Practice may change my mind.

It was delivered with all the tires at 50psi. I cut them down to factory spec. At 50psi, the ride was slightly stiff. Down at the proper psi, the ride cleaned up completely. It's not marshmallow. It's just very pleasant.

The car is much lower than it seems in the pictures. It's quite sedanlike, really. However, there's a setting that raises it for entry, making in and out easy for old fogies.

Android Auto and whatever the stupid Apple people use is built in.

Nit picks:
I wish I could have gotten the 18" wheels on the FE edition, for an even better ride. I bet I'll be able to find some takeoffs pretty cheap from lesser models or other jag models that fit.
I wish the stereo had more bass, but I like my hip hop. Hello Brooklyn! Still an excellent stereo. Not as good as my McIntosh speakers but so what.
A seat massage function might be nice.
There are settings available through steering wheel controls and others through the entertainment interface. I wish they were all available at least one of the ways.
The color is going to get my wife a lot of attention where she works. Not all of it good.
I have to lock the car to make the handles go back in.
The front side view cameras, for pulling out of the driveway into traffic, could perhaps be angled a bit more to 90 degrees. They're a bit too much forward angled.
I spent 90k on a car, and my wife gets to have it.
Why don't they put two charge ports, one on each side of the car?
It'd be nice to have a large, lockable center compartment. Instead, it's large enough for a purse but not lockable.
You have many USB ports but only one works for Android Auto.

Our ipace came in and we drove it home a few days ago. The interior is gorgeous, especially with the extended leather. Seats are comfy and highly adjustable. More lumbar than even I need, and just enough thigh support. Of course the seat is ventilated. Front window defrosts. In Photon Red, the car looks crazy hot. In gray, it's a bit dull. The stereo is excellent. Getting anything more for a car would be silly. It does outdo the last Model X premium i tried out, but quite a bit. Clear, loud, and with some eq, bassy. The ride is stunningly good, and it handles on proverbial rails. It doesn't feel fat on a twist road, like the Model X does. Regular doors. Plenty of room in the back seat. A massive trunk, unexpectedly so. I was shocked. The frunk is a joke, more for emergency supplies, but with the huge trunk, that doesn't matter. I plan on leaving a larger emergency bag in there, with clothes, water, and food for the whole family. The panoramic roof is huge. I'd rather have a plain roof, TBH, but it's cool. I think we could end of doing a vinyl rap on the roof.

The interior is that of a 90k car. Solid, quiet, and gorgeous. We went black all around. The HUD is super useful, helping keep eyes on the road. I'm a huge fan. Acceleration is strong, strong, strong. It's not as fast a P model, sure, but it's close enough as to not matter. It's already in the "i feel my brain moving inside my skull... ugh!" range.

Almost one pedal driving is cool. The regen breaking is super strong if you choose it that way, and it can slow you to a stop. You just have to learn the distancing. It won't do the stop on an incline, though. In the end, I think using the brake pedal for the last 1mph is fine. Practice may change my mind.

It was delivered with all the tires at 50psi. I cut them down to factory spec. At 50psi, the ride was slightly stiff. Down at the proper psi, the ride cleaned up completely. It's not marshmallow. It's just very pleasant.

The car is much lower than it seems in the pictures. It's quite sedanlike, really. However, there's a setting that raises it for entry, making in and out easy for old fogies.

Android Auto and whatever the stupid Apple people use is built in.

Nit picks:
I wish I could have gotten the 18" wheels on the FE edition, for an even better ride. I bet I'll be able to find some takeoffs pretty cheap from lesser models or other jag models that fit.
I wish the stereo had more bass, but I like my hip hop. Hello Brooklyn! Still an excellent stereo. Not as good as my McIntosh speakers but so what.
A seat massage function might be nice.
There are settings available through steering wheel controls and others through the entertainment interface. I wish they were all available at least one of the ways.
The color is going to get my wife a lot of attention where she works. Not all of it good.
I have to lock the car to make the handles go back in.
The front side view cameras, for pulling out of the driveway into traffic, could perhaps be angled a bit more to 90 degrees. They're a bit too much forward angled.
I spent 90k on a car, and my wife gets to have it.
Why don't they put two charge ports, one on each side of the car?
It'd be nice to have a large, lockable center compartment. Instead, it's large enough for a purse but not lockable.
You have many USB ports but only one works for Android Auto.

How is the noise level on freeways (particularly any rougher surfaces)? How is the acceleration - particularly the "initial hit" right when you hit the pedal (i.e. is it that instant hit of the S or X or more of a ramp-up like the Bolt EV and Model 3)? Great review!

How is the noise level on freeways (particularly any rougher surfaces)? How is the acceleration - particularly the "initial hit" right when you hit the pedal (i.e. is it that instant hit of the S or X or more of a ramp-up like the Bolt EV and Model 3)? Great review!
Noise level on the freeway is good, luxury car normal. It did not stand out to me, and I don't know of a loud stretch of freeway.
Acceleration response is better than an ICE. It's been a while time since I have driven a Tesla or Bolt, but the acceleration of all of them is sudden vs an ICE. It's certainly easy to drive the car smoothly. It's no p100d, but it'll more than do. Can you cut and slice through traffic? It's hard not to!

After my negative Model 3 delivery experience, I'm considering the I-Pace and the Audi e-tron as a replacements for our 2016 Volt. Model 3 will be my first and only Tesla.

I'm sorry you had the delivery experience you did. I'd say most people can get past theirs if less than ideal and continue to enjoy the car, and at this stage of infancy of the Model 3 with these large production numbers (not seen for the Model S or X before) feel they can be forgiving of the communication etc issues if issues were made right for them in the end. We are experiencing the growing pains of Tesla for sure, unlike other long-time established manufacturers who have years of working through many of those. Certainly the vast majority of people have had a positive experience.

I do understand how a local service center can turn you off to owning a car though. We owned a Toyota Avalon that we would take to our local dealership for service. A number of issues had us unhappy with how the car would be fixed or not in the last straw case of our dashboard that they took apart, broke the clips on and then wouldn't stay together (leaving us with an air gap you could see daylight through and said there wasn't anything more they would do so live with it), and ultimately it also came down to how we were treated. No way after what we went through would we ever buy a Toyota from this dealership where because of where we lived we'd have to have serviced there. Our dissatifaction went all the way up to the store manager there. If we moved and had another service center to work with that might however had changed.

After that however we bought our Teslas, and the minor issues we've had they have been taken care of and two service centers where we have taken them to have been great. We do find it frustrating that we can't call and talk to anyone there (only emails or text) and sure that Tesla instituted that change to free up the shops with phone calls that could be handled other ways. Not my preferred way of communicating however. I have had one service ranger visit who dropped of my license plate holder that was missing from inside my trunk after the body shop had the car for due bill. Super nice guy, who put my license plate on the holder and attached to my car and then checked my tire pressure which had been registering low once the cold weather arrived here. Nothing to date from our experience would dissuade us from not buying a Tesla in the future. We tend to be loyal brand customers when we find a product we like a lot. My Avalon was fully loaded and super comfortable but now I find cars with many of those accouterments busy looking and cluttered. Actually find it a real turn off. I do wish my Model 3 had the same leather ventilated seats that our Model S has but that's about it as far as "niceties". I thought the Volt was a nice looking car exterior wise which is equally important to me. Not a fan of the i-Pace or Audi e-tron but everyone is different, the Porche Taycan has nice lines but I don't want to be driving what looks more like a race car. Not much in the way of long-range EVs right now to chose but Tesla is changing that and upped the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
Here in Norway, the few fastest working CCS delivers max 200A at the moment, as they lack water cooled cables required for 175 kW. I was out looking at one today which definetly have water cooled cable, but it was not yet operational. My car has the fabled 100 kW update.

NedFast in the Netherlands though have water cooled 175 kW chargers in operation, but suspect a protocol issue with the I-pace since the EQC and the e-tron charges at around 140 kW with their fastest chargers.

Guess we have to wait 3-6 months for a new update!

If they are only delivering 200A, that would imply a 420[1] volt delivery for the 84Kw charging sessions mentioned above. The graphs show that max power being delivered at 50%... that would imply a pack peak voltage of almost 475V, which is more than I've seen reported. I understand it's likely a 106S pack = 445V.

Something seems off.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond