Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a bit sad with minor M3 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're short videos. Summation: 1st is poor delivery arrangement/pickup experience (they had no time to give him a touchscreen demonstration). 2nd is mostly aesthetic (asymmetric door panel gap differences), noisy charge port mechanism (sorry, don't know if this is outside of expectations/specifications, try turning off the despondent piano sequence in order to isolate it so that other owners can compare ;)) as well as broken camera. Oh, iPhone key compatibility problems. Also, expecting a prompt Twitter response from Elon (when we know full well he's sleeping on the factory floor and in all probability not monitoring the thousands of Tweets he's likely receiving) and complaining that the delivery was near the end of the 6-week estimate. I can't feel any sympathy on the latter two, lol.

Last edited:
I have to say, on the general YouTube issue, do
NOT use/add background noise/sound when expecting people to hear what you are saying. I find many start a video with some overview with loud intro music and I can’t make out a word they are saying. Hard enough never mind for those with hearing issues watching those who aren’t professional actors!

Not a specific slam on the OP but if we wanted to watch YouTube we would watch the many we sub to. It takes seconds to read a post and minutes to watch a recording. Sorry.

They're short videos. Summation: 1st is poor delivery arrangement/pickup experience (they had no time to give him a touchscreen demonstration). 2nd is mostly aesthetic (asymmetric door panel gap differences), noisy charge port mechanism (sorry, don't know if this is outside of expectations/specifications, try turning off the despondent piano sequence in order to isolate it so that other owners can compare ;)) as well as broken camera. Oh, iPhone key compatibility problems. Also, expecting a prompt Twitter response from Elon (when we know full well he's sleeping on the factory floor and in all probability not monitoring the thousands of Tweets he's likely receiving) and complaining that the delivery was near the end of the 6-week estimate. I can't feel any sympathy on the latter two, lol.

Thanks.

Sounds like what we’ve heard here before. Other than the bad delivery experience. Others seem to have reported positive experience.

I skimmed thru the videos. Seems like some legit fit and finish issues.

One thing I'll say: how one reacts to things in life has a lot of influence on overall happiness and relationships with people. OP is disgruntled and "outraged" about the delivery experience and condition of his 3. He's perfectly entitled to that. But the attitude he has about it all screams "grumpy old man." Again, I'm not saying he's not allowed to be grumpy either, but emotional intelligence is a thing, and how you choose to act on your initial emotions impacts many things, including how willing someone might be to help you.

I've seen so many people take the "customer is always right, and if I throw a big fuss, they'll notice and fix things for me" approach. And that just doesn't always work out in reality. Even if companies try to take the "customer is always right" approach, no one likes to interact with a jerk, particularly when the person you talk to isn't directly at fault for your grievance. Be courteous, even if you're seething inside. It works so much better.

As far as being entitled to a full orientation.... I live in NH where there is no service center, and I can't take delivery in MA because I would have to pay sales tax to MA. Tesla ships the car to my door via a 3rd party trucking company that knows little about Teslas. The only orientation I got was how to open the door.

That day I couldn't even inspect the exterior for damage because it was rainy and the car was covered in water. A week later, I found that I had some scuffs on the rear bumper. I called the service center in MA, politely explained my situation. They set up a service appointment and threw in a delivery experience orientation as well as a free detail on the car. I didn't even have to escalate the issue to the CEO!

I ended up being bored silly with the delivery orientation and the touchscreen walkthrough because I had already figured everything out first week with the car. But still appreciative of the guy that gave it to me, because he has to do that same damn thing a bunch every day. Can you imagine the boredom? Yet he has to treat me like I'm the only customer. The casual conversation with him proved more informative; he revealed how busy the service center is with deliveries and what kinds of issues people are bringing up with the 3. I thanked him for taking the time.

I also emailed my Inside Sales rep in NV to thank her for keeping me in the loop after my VIN was assigned. This was her response:

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write to me. Great email to see first thing on a Monday morning, definitely sets the tone the rest of my week.

Thank you so much. Enjoy the car, it’s a beauty

This was despite having to wait 61 days from configuration to delivery, well past the 3-6 week estimate.

I guess the TL;DR is: be nice. be courteous. it makes people you interact with happy; it gets you what you want, and it makes you happier for it.

The OP is obviously not happy with his car. The background music makes that obvious if nothing else. He is unhappy that Tesla met their estimated delivery schedule. Tesla is unwilling to do something about that. He asked for a "cash discount" (even though he got "third party financing"). Tesla would not give it to him. He wrote a personal email to Elon. Elon didn't respond. He was "forced" into purchasing a car that was 2 or 3 times what he normally spends. He wanted the whole tax credit and was unwilling to wait for the $35K car. He got a fully optioned car ($63K). Tesla is unwilling to sell a fully optioned car for $35K. Tesla would not fix items that were within specs. Tesla will not change their specs for him. He didn't get an explanation of the U.I. at delivery so that he, the wife, the kids, and Mom could enjoy the experience. Evidently Tesla was unwilling to give him this experience at one of their Stores when someone could take the time to explain the systems in detail to the family. His car has been at the SvC center for one out of the two weeks he has owned it. He was unwilling to drive the car because of cosmetic issues. He wants a factory tour. Apparently Tesla is not able to meet his schedule.

He feels the car isn't worth what he paid for it. Tesla has failed to live up to his expectations. I think that is a perfectly fair conclusion for the personal parameters set by this individual.

The OP has options:
  1. Sell the car and at a minimum get all of his money back or maybe even more and pocket the $10K in tax credits/rebates ($7.5K Fed, $2.5K Ca)
  2. Take his car to one of the classic car restorers in the Bay area and have them rebuild the car to his specs.
  3. Wait for Honda to build a BEV
  4. Purchase a Honda Clarity for 2 times what he normally spends including the reduced tax credit for PHEV for a car with half the features of a model 3.
I wish the OP well in his quest for the right car for him.

Is the problem really the panel gaps or the fact that you are not into the car in the first place? Most of us weren’t obsessing over panel gaps the next morning we had the car sitting in our driveway.

The model 3 was never supposed to be a competitor to a Honda. It’s a competitor to a BMW 3 series. If you do research on BMW you will find that quality isn’t spectacular either.

The model 3 is a new car. Every new car comes with issues. I got a Toyota SCION FRS à couple weeks after it came out in July 2012. Because it’s a Toyota it should be just perfect right? The car had two very loud rattle issues that took at least 8 trips to the dealership to resolve. So far my 3 is rattle free.

I think your problems are pretty minor compared to some folks on this forum who would be really happy if their issues were limited to yours. That said I sincerely hope that you will soon be satisfied with your car.

As far as the IPhone issue, you are a software engineer so you should understand what is going on. You should quickly realize that the issue you are having is because IOS is disabling/killing the Tesla app in the background to maximize battery life. Apple gives the right to some apps to keep running in the background so far they don’t do it with Tesla but they will at some point.

Sounds like I have another YouTube tab playing another video. Couldn't really watch it so thanks for the write up Vinnie.

Sorry for my ascent and love Tesla as company and M3 as a car but I’m just pissed after paying so much and then find such imperfections and blatant ignorance.

Model 3 fan? Me, too.. still.. but be informed buyer and watch this..

Part 1:

Part 2:

Oh and it’s a “production hell” experience to get a tour appointment also.
Thank you for the videos and post. Definitely will check my car carefully and hopefully I won’t be as unlucky. As for delivery experience, I do not care for it. I just want to get the car and get out of there ASAP.

Reactions: stayfocus18
The OP has been a member of TMC for 7 months. His first and only post expresses displeasure with Tesla and his new car. He configured his car approximately two months ago. The isolated problems he has encountered have been discussed in detail on this Forum for the 5 months prior to ordering his car. He contributed nothing to the Forum including questions or comments during that period. Problems with smartphone connectivity comes as a surprise to him? He could have deferred his configuration to get a less expensive car and perhaps still get the full tax credit because it will last at least until September 30 and maybe even December 31. He could have deferred his configuration to allow Tesla time to further refine the car. He apparently ordered a fully optioned car when he really wanted a less expensive car? He could have configured a $50k car and after tax credits/rebates in California paid $40K which is the same price as a Honda Clarity but with half the features. He seriously expects Elon should respond to him personally because his objections are somehow unique and particularly important?

This whole thread should be moved to the "Negativity" thread because it is so illustrative of that topic. Sometimes I just don't understand people.

For those who are not aware of some of the most discussed issues with the model 3, I will try to summarize:
  • the smartphone connectivity issues continue to be a problem with many but not all users
  • panel gaps do not meet the requirements for a Concours automobile
  • Enhanced AutoPilot is not the same as Full Self Driving. It is a driver assistance program. Do not option $5K EAP if you are expecting the car is responsible for keeping an inattentive driver out of an accident.
  • Drive the car first if suspension is a primary concern. This is a "Sport" sedan. Defer your configuration until you can drive the car.
  • Drive the car first if acoustics, whether from wind noise or A/C system, is important to you. Defer your configuration until you can drive the car.
  • Realize that the U.I. firmware is still in development. Defer your configuration if a fully developed U.I. system is important to you.
  • Realize all the staff at Tesla is buried right now bringing a new model with 500K reservation to fruition. If you need lots of hand holding, better to purchase a different brand.
  • The car can get very expensive if all options are ordered, with or without tax credits. Do not buy a car you cannot afford.
***There are many friendly members here on TMC who will allow you to drive their car for a short period, to allow you to decide if a model 3 is the car for you.

Last edited: