Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just announced. 500k cars by 2018 instead of 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need some help. The shareholder letter said, "500,000 total unit build plan (combined for Model S, Model X, and Model 3) to 2018", which sounds like a cumulative number of cars built, not a 500k/yr rate of production. Most of the stories online say 500k/yr, as above, but I read the the quote differently.

Here's an article that interprets it the same as me: Tesla wants to build 500,000 cars two years sooner than planned. "500,000-cars-made milestone" is a total not a rate.

These are VERY different kinds of numbers!

The previous annual production target for 2020 was 500,000/year, so if they are moving it up 2 years, that's 500,000 in 2018.

The way it is worded and your following interpretation seems logical. It was apparently just obvious to those of us who have covered this stuff day in & day out for years what it actually meant.

Hope that helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
I certainly hope we will still get v2 autopilot hardware in the Model 3. I also worry about them rushing this. Personally, I would rather they take their time and get everything right the first production run than have to deal with issues later.

Musk said that every M3 will have autopilot hardware during the reveal. That does not mean that you will get the software. I suppose the software will be an option.