Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just announced. 500k cars by 2018 instead of 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could see them streamlining the options packages. Maybe like Audi and other companies do. The base car, the "Premium Plus" trim and the "Prestige" trim or something like that. Keeping it pretty simple.

I do normally like those sorts of packages instead of being "nickel and dimed" for every option, although it might mean I get stuck with air suspension if I also want memory seats and a pano roof if they are all in a package together.

I could see them streamlining the options packages. Maybe like Audi and other companies do. The base car, the "Premium Plus" trim and the "Prestige" trim or something like that. Keeping it pretty simple.

I do normally like those sorts of packages instead of being "nickel and dimed" for every option, although it might mean I get stuck with air suspension if I also want memory seats and a pano roof if they are all in a package together.
The biggest negative of this way is that if you have one specific feature you really want, sometimes it will costs thousands to get it because it got bundled in with a bunch of other features you didn't want.

Looking at the S order page however, it is already pretty lean in terms of options (esp. ones that are purely hardware):
Autopilot $2500 (software enabled)
Premium Package $3000
Air Suspension $2500
Subzero $1000
Sound $2500
Rear Facing Seats $3000 (not applicable for 3)
High Amperage Charger $1500 (software enabled)
Order your Tesla Model S | Tesla Motors

The biggest negative of this way is that if you have one specific feature you really want, sometimes it will costs thousands to get it because it got bundled in with a bunch of other features you didn't want.

Looking at the S order page however, it is already pretty lean in terms of options (esp. ones that are purely hardware):
Premium Package $3000
Air Suspension $2500
Subzero $1000
Sound $2500

Based on that list, and the things that are built into every car anyway and are a software switch, you basically are left with four items: Premium package, air suspension, subzero, sound. All considering that's not that many options. Perhaps a ludicrous mode, but we might not see that right off the bat in early builds of the car.

Has this 500K cars by 2018 been confirmed? It would be great to get my Model 3 for January 1st 2018, but I seriously doubt that. However, just for once it would be great to be wrong :)
What do you mean by "confirmed"? This target was stated in the letter to shareholders and in the earnings call. If you are asking if the goal will be met, then the answer is unanswerable at this time. And don't count on getting yours by January 1, 2018 since RHD vehicles will come much later.

Reactions: nexsuperne101

Premium Package $3000
Air Suspension $2500
Subzero $1000
Sound $2500

Plus:
Pano
Metallic paint
Wheels
Leather seats

An additional $6,000 there, +/- $1,000, with admittedly the pano being the only non-bolt-in/on hardware.

This makes sense. And I believe that Tesla will come close New assembly lines & plants are built every day. And unlike the S and X, they're not going overboard with new technology. The 3 is a standard vehicle, not unlike those built by Toyota, Ford, GM, Daimler every single day - excepting the electric drive train. And the people, equipment & suppliers needed to build a car like that are all widely available. No magic is required - just lots of money.