Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. After months of negative comments, aggressive vitriol, threats of litigation, alleging lies and deceit from Tesla, I can't recall a more positive set of changes to the ethereal component that is autopilot. There is every sign of it maturing in the correct direction at last. All they need now is to actually start delivering on some more of the features it is supposed to be capable of and the roar of opposition will die away into a whimper at last (but let's not bring up FSD shall we?)

There's always a "but" :D

FWIW my AP1 car has been slowing for upcoming sharp curves for at least a year. (And well before the lines show curves on the instrument cluster).

But here's the weird thing:
It only does it on some roads. There's a sharp turn on a small road near my house and it slows down early for it (like a human would), but on a similar turn on a similar road it just blasts right through. Haven't figured out why one consistently causes a slowndown while the other doesn't.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Agreed. After months of negative comments, aggressive vitriol, threats of litigation, alleging lies and deceit from Tesla, I can't recall a more positive set of changes to the ethereal component that is autopilot. There is every sign of it maturing in the correct direction at last. All they need now is to actually start delivering on some more of the features it is supposed to be capable of and the roar of opposition will die away into a whimper at last (but let's not bring up FSD shall we?)

I totally agree. The last step that was remotely similar was the 17.11-> 17.17.4 step that was the first release that could remotely keep within lane lines above 45mph.... but man that looks like primitive tech compared to where we are 6 months later.

The 17.26 -> 17.34 era was shaking my confidence, much like everyone else here. It felt like they were just bumbling around trying to get a basic control algorithm tuned over the course of 4 months. 17.40/17.42 seems to have come out of nowhere and basically everyone agrees that it’s a huge step up. If progress continues at this rate, I am genuinely excited again about trading in my AP1 for AP2. This is the kind of progress that I was looking forward to seeing and being a part of.

The 17.26 -> 17.34 era was shaking my confidence, much like everyone else here. It felt like they were just bumbling around trying to get a basic control algorithm tuned over the course of 4 months. 17.40/17.42 seems to have come out of nowhere and basically everyone agrees that it’s a huge step up.
I think those inbetween releases correlated with minor software tweaks while the major improvements correlated with a changed neural network (as verygreen has confirmed on looking at the files.) This is most promising because it means that clearly their approach with a neural network is headed in the right direction.

Or do you mean FSD? That’s... 3 months.. (from now... :D)
images

Chalk me up as another .42 believer! It is so much better though intersections, same ones that were a challenge before are now silky smooth. What I noticed is that it seems to look much further down the road than before, even when going through an intersections where the road lines stop, it still shows the lines that I assume it’s picking up past the intersection.

Also did a test with a completely stopped vehicle and it picked it up, even though it was at a full stop long before I started approaching. The braked pretty late and hard, but I was glad to see it recognize a fully stopped car.

My car was in for service and repairs for 2 days and I didn't get the update till I got home. Then I spotted 360MB download to the car which correlated with the update notification on my phone app.

They tried having a geofence around service trigger a check for a download, but that was too much and a bit abused by us owners. Then they switched to having a service ticket open that triggers the download, but then the install started to delay turnaround. So then they moved to letting the update be queued, but not doing the install and the owner hit install when getting home. Not bad, but it led to lots of people asking why install wasn’t hit for them. So now they seem to have tweaked it such that once a service ticket is closed, once the car leaves the service geofence, it triggers a check and download for new firmware. They lets the car get returned before even the clock coming up to ask about installing. This seems to have streamlined service, keep the cars up to date, and increased customer satisfaction (by not feeling slighted that service was slacking on the install).

Of course, if whatever service is doing requires a firmware flash, they still do it during service to resolve the issue the car has.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
They tried having a geofence around service trigger a check for a download, but that was too much and a bit abused by us owners. Then they switched to having a service ticket open that triggers the download, but then the install started to delay turnaround. So then they moved to letting the update be queued, but not doing the install and the owner hit install when getting home. Not bad, but it led to lots of people asking why install wasn’t hit for them. So now they seem to have tweaked it such that once a service ticket is closed, once the car leaves the service geofence, it triggers a check and download for new firmware. They lets the car get returned before even the clock coming up to ask about installing. This seems to have streamlined service, keep the cars up to date, and increased customer satisfaction (by not feeling slighted that service was slacking on the install).

Of course, if whatever service is doing requires a firmware flash, they still do it during service to resolve the issue the car has.
Seems all of that would be simplified by just updating every car all the time! :D

• Funny
Reactions: chillaban
Nice side mirrors aren't as crippled.

Just curious what you meant by that comment, since my view is that the 2017.42 release just messed up my side mirrors.

With the new release, the mirrors unfold as soon as the car wakes up and the handles present. It used to be that they stayed folded while you walked past them and only opened up when you opened the door (and were already past them).

Please put back the previous behavior. It made much more sense.

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG
Just curious what you meant by that comment, since my view is that the 2017.42 release just messed up my side mirrors.

With the new release, the mirrors unfold as soon as the car wakes up and the handles present. It used to be that they stayed folded while you walked past them and only opened up when you opened the door (and were already past them).

Please put back the previous behavior. It made much more sense.

In the intervening releases between they added the behavior you described. In a subsequent release, they added that if you turned off folding mirrors, they would auto-unfold at some speed (don’t remember if it was 30 or something else). Now, regardless of if you have auto-unfold, if you manually fold in the mirrors, they will unfold at 30 mph. I agree that it should go back to not auto-unfolding until at least the door opening, if not later, but it is “less crippled” now.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I was able to make it from San Diego to Orange County today (AP2.5) with basically zero issue. I just got my car, so I didn't suffer through the older versions, but I'm very happy with .42.1.

It did brake a little hard once, and struggled through one set of curves, but overall it felt very confident.

Just finished a weekend venture from the Bay Area to N. Lake Tahoe, in a 75D with .42.

Overall, it handled most situations better than previous releases. No diving into off or on ramps, better handling of confusing lane lines than I expected. One location in Sacramento, involving a left lane transition into the local light rail station, westbound, it handled with surprising aplomb.

I did notice that on tight curves in the Sierras, at >75mph, it struggled. Maybe I shouldn’t drive so fast... I also noticed that it decelerated ahead of these curves somewhat. Not enough. Maybe I shouldn’t drive so fast.

I observed some slowing due to adjacent lane 18 wheelers. But it was the Sierras, and the curves were tight. Maybe I shouldn’t drive so fast.

One noticeable moment - I was in the 2nd to leftmost lane, in my red MS. Next to me, in the leftmost lane, was another red MS. I was on AP2. She was an older MS (old style front fascia). As usual, on a right curve, my MS favored the left lane line. Her car didn’t just favor the inner lane line, she crossed it. I was on it, and overrode the AP2. We would have made contact otherwise. My MS didn’t notice a thing.

Couple of thoughts: 1) My MS should have noticed. 2) She wasn’t on AP. I’ve never seen a Tesla favor the inside lane on a tight curve, especially to the point of crossing it.

One other incident: I was requesting an AP2 lane change, to the leftmost lane. My MS immediately started the maneuver, including adding acceleration. It apparently didn’t notice that the car in front of me was pretty close. If I had allowed it to continue without taking over, I think my MS would have clipped the left rear corner of that car. That was a little spooky.

Bottom line for me. Overall, this release is very good. But it has sufficient limitations that one must stay alert at all times. It is ADAS, not FSD.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EinSV and daktari
EAP features “expected” in December 2016 included automatic transition from one highway to another and other fantasies. If these are all available in December 2017 I promise to fill my MS with gasoline through the charging port.
Quoted to make sure you don't edit the post while you still can and we can hold you to it.