Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my MX ... Looking at the order sheets, full self driving is not a great option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Advisor even mentioned perhaps consider dropping the full self driving option since it's 2 to 3 years out.

So looking through the Google Doc seems like a LOT of you guys chose NOT to get the FSD.

I understand it's not released yet, and waiting regulatory approval. I also understand that the book price of $4k will all it will ever cost me to upgrade even at a later date.

That being said - I went ahead and added it. My thinking was, if/when they are ready to release it, perhaps people that have the option will be in the first 'wave' of receiving the update. Also, when paying $120K for a car, is the last 3K going to be the differentiating factor? Plus dropping it in now saves me a $1,000 later anyway. I plan on keeping the car 5 or more years (my current ICE cars are 12+ yrs old). and I know when it comes out, I will want it.

Soooooo tell me guys - why'd so many people turn it down ? Was it because you will not likely get it even after release? Or just figured why give Tesla an interest free loan (that you technically are paying interest on)?

Reactions: TechVP and DriveMe
I ordered it on my Model S. My thinking was, it only hurts once and I was already paying a lot and the extra $3k seemed small in comparison to the $20k I talked myself into for the larger 100kw battery.

But more important, I feel that just because they show the difference of $1k today, to add it after the fact, that does not guarantee the price won't change once they finalize it. As there maybe hardware changes or computer upgrades, that I hope they grandfather in those that paid for FSD. I also HOPE they will release steps of the functionality in the interim before FSD is 100%. I would be happy with a 25 or 50% solution in the interim if that in the cards.

• Funny
Reactions: HenryCH
Can you still drop FSD without a change order?

Yeah, still within the 3 day window...

I ordered it on my Model S. My thinking was, it only hurts once and I was already paying a lot and the extra $3k seemed small in comparison to the $20k I talked myself into for the larger 100kw battery.

But more important, I feel that just because they show the difference of $1k today, to add it after the fact, that does not guarantee the price won't change once they finalize it. As there maybe hardware changes or computer upgrades, that I hope they grandfather in those that paid for FSD. I also HOPE they will release steps of the functionality in the interim before FSD is 100%. I would be happy with a 25 or 50% solution in the interim if that in the cards.

According to my advisor, they lock in the 'book' price of whatever options are listed...

But the rest of your statement, is basically my thinking too. Perhaps they release it in levels and if you already paid for it, you jump forward.

That being said - I went ahead and added it. My thinking was, if/when they are ready to release it, perhaps people that have the option will be in the first 'wave' of receiving the update. Also, when paying $120K for a car, is the last 3K going to be the differentiating factor? Plus dropping it in now saves me a $1,000 later anyway.

The way I look at it, $3K is $3K. Buys a lot of nice dinners, nice clothes, a luxury watch, some fun tech gadgets, or a few bottles of really nice wine.

Based on the slow progress and quirky behavior of autopilot, I wouldn't hold my breath on FSD any time soon. It's not just awaiting regulatory approval; it's awaiting development.

After a year with only AP2, I have no regrets not ordering FSD. If it ever becomes available, I'm not sure that I'll still have my then elderly 2016 Tesla and want to pay $3K + $1K (or maybe more) to be a FSD pioneer. AP2 is dangerous enough.

Reactions: bbbrown
How much trouble have you had w. AP2 ?
Lot of comments in this forum. You may want to do a search.

While AP2 mostly improves with new updates, my biggest concerns are that it still sometimes brakes suddenly when when it gets confused with cars in adjacent lanes (risking getting rear-ended), veers out of lanes, a couple of times into oncoming traffic (thought this is much improved), drives in other cars blind spots, drives alongside big trucks and cars drifting out of their lanes, continues to accelerate when traffic is stopped or slowing down ahead, is sometimes so jerky and erratic on congested highways that my wife gets mad at me for using it. Otherwise, it's pretty impressive. ;) And I do use it on the open highway.

IMO, FSD for non-specific "vetted" routes, is way more complicated than most people are aware. Think about road construction an flagmen directing traffic. Or speed bumps, Or really bad weather, Or obstacles in the roadway. Or a broken signal. Or being stuck behind a garbage truck on a two lane street with a double yellow lane divider. Or...

Reactions: balerion
If you really believe that FSD will become a reality then you'd be better off using your $3k to purchase TSLA stock. If they really truly do make FSD a reality on a production vehicle(something that would be an industry game changer) then that $3k of TSLA stock will certainly be worth much much more than $4k - so you could sell the stock and easily pay the post-purchase $4k FSD asking price, and have plenty of money left to spare.

Don't pay $3k now for something that doesn't exist.

From CES, there is heavy industry wide push to bring (incrementally) FSD. The target is clearly set towards Level 5; no matter how we get there.
Even government task groups are upbeat with the march toward Level 5. Which I am just stymied by... I would think feet dragging would be the policy of the day. Yet indication by the several forums, panel discussions, industry task groups, and attendees is to not overly bog down this historic change. Being in the room, one can see that the US has the lead in this front. I think it's something to be proud of, while other countries are quite envious.

My view is the same as the OP, by adding FSD. I see similarities to buying stock in Tesla. You have today's price... and you have tomorrow's price. If you plan to be around at that time, you will see your investment value rise.