Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received my new car without ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took delivery of my MYLR last Saturday and even though it doesn’t have USS it’s still great! I also never got the message telling me the car wouldn’t be equipped with USS as a user stated on the first page, so I didn’t agree to anything.

My first drive I hated the vehicle and regretted selling my Audi, however since driving it more and learning the braking I’ve come to enjoy the ride.

No sensors hasn’t been an issue for me as the cameras that pop up when signaling makes me feel at ease about switching lanes (plus I check over my shoulder).

As for parking close to objects I do miss my other car alerting me when I’m too close and hope Tesla releases that update soon.

Took delivery of my MYLR last Saturday and even though it doesn’t have USS it’s still great! I also never got the message telling me the car wouldn’t be equipped with USS as a user stated on the first page, so I didn’t agree to anything.

My first drive I hated the vehicle and regretted selling my Audi, however since driving it more and learning the braking I’ve come to enjoy the ride.

No sensors hasn’t been an issue for me as the cameras that pop up when signaling makes me feel at ease about switching lanes (plus I check over my shoulder).

As for parking close to objects I do miss my other car alerting me when I’m too close and hope Tesla releases that update soon.
what year and type of Audi did you have before trading it in for an eV? I have the same thought, I have a Lexus and would be trading it in as well..

If you don’t accept it, presumably they’ll cancel your order. But then one could argue why collect the “order fee” if they can give you a different car than you ordered. Would it be ok to give you a MYP with slower acceleration? Or change MYLR range to 280 Miles? Slippery legal slope when people say the order agreement gives Carte Blanche.
From the order agreement:

1670508920635.png

So they can't just give you a different car. You can either accept a different car, or they cancel your order and refund your money.

Yeah. Sucks. Interesting that this particular hardware removal requires “acceptance” by the buyer. Wonder why? Obviously some legal coverage but was there a similar step when they took away LIDAR? Passenger lumbar support?

If you don’t accept it, presumably they’ll cancel your order. But then one could argue why collect the “order fee” if they can give you a different car than you ordered. Would it be ok to give you a MYP with slower acceleration? Or change MYLR range to 280 Miles? Slippery legal slope when people say the order agreement gives Carte Blanche.
No production car has LIDAR yet. Only dumb radars

Reactions: Yelobird
No production car has LIDAR yet. Only dumb radars
Oh. My misunderstanding.

I am curious from those who have vehicles pre-removal era, how does a radar based system perform in fog/etc? Often my car has a layer of frost on the outside, so would I need to clear/dry all the cameras each morning to have a functional autopilot system if it was Vision based? I presume there isn’t any defrost mechanism over all the cameras. Would be sensitive to any grime/dirt on the glass.

No USS and no Tesla vision is the ultimate beta test. It's far from ideal, it's an obvious pain in the arse for those of you lucky enough to volunteer, but isn't this why we got Tesla's?

The entire Tesla concept is endless testing of new software. This is no different. And when it rolls out, it will work.

No USS and no Tesla vision is the ultimate beta test. It's far from ideal, it's an obvious pain in the arse for those of you lucky enough to volunteer, but isn't this why we got Tesla's?

The entire Tesla concept is endless testing of new software. This is no different. And when it rolls out, it will work.
Funny. If a company was selling a toaster (advertised as a finished product, not “beta”) and when people got it, they found out the “bake” feature was disabled because the button was removed. And people were told a “new way” to bake with be enabled at some unspecified date in the future, people wouldn’t tolerate it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
Let's not forget USS limitations that won't be limitations using the camera setup (i.e. poles, parking stops, curbs, etc)

Why not use both??... Take advantage of each sensor suites best parts? Tesla doesn't like sensor fusion though... "too hard".

I have eyes and an inner ear which helps me keep balance. If you're flying and you have 0 visibility, you trust your eyes looking at instruments, not what your inner ear is telling you. If you're walking in pitch black and your inner ear tells you you're leaning to one side, you rely on it, not your eyes.

I dunno, seems like common sense to me to use all sensors available. Edge case or not, they all have their own advantages and they should be leveraged

Reactions: Danzel
seems like common sense to me to use all sensors available
Think about the bigger picture.
Tesla is doing a good thing by demonstrating FSD on the minimum number of sensors possible.

Our world has a precedent that a human with ONE EYE is safe to drive on public roads. We humans don't have LIDAR, we don't have RADAR, we can't see through fog, we can't see under cars, we have numerous blind spots, and we can't do real-time path prediction on a thousand separate objects at once. But we call that human ability acceptable for driving, even when it is monocular and lacks direct depth perception.

If every automaker decked their cars out with sensors to the nines, "just because", then that would become the de-facto baseline. Any future car with fewer sensors would have to "prove" itself, and would be met with hesitation from customers, regulators, insurers, and the like. The baseline cost of every car is higher. Visual, RF and audio spectrum pollution is ubiquitous. More parts, more wiring, more weight, more data to correlate and process, more complicated software, more corner cases, more things to break, more expensive to maintain.

Tesla's "vision only" push places these cars in a realm where they really function like superhuman humans. Overlapping cameras replace the human neck swivel, and neural networks replace our object persistence and critical thinking abilities. By precedent, this should be enough.

We're at a very very unique point in time where neural networks and mobile computational power have converged to make what Tesla's doing even remotely possible. If self driving cars had come first (in a widespread way), we would have been chained to a huge and unnecessary sensor suite for decades, if not forever.

Funny. If a company was selling a toaster (advertised as a finished product, not “beta”) and when people got it, they found out the “bake” feature was disabled because the button was removed. And people were told a “new way” to bake with be enabled at some unspecified date in the future, people wouldn’t tolerate it.
Bake = Toaster's main/critical function
USS = Convenience feature.

Reactions: WyoDude
Think about the bigger picture.
Tesla is doing a good thing by demonstrating FSD on the minimum number of sensors possible.

Our world has a precedent that a human with ONE EYE is safe to drive on public roads. We humans don't have LIDAR, we don't have RADAR, we can't see through fog, we can't see under cars, we have numerous blind spots, and we can't do real-time path prediction on a thousand separate objects at once. But we call that human ability acceptable for driving, even when it is monocular and lacks direct depth perception.

If every automaker decked their cars out with sensors to the nines, "just because", then that would become the de-facto baseline. Any future car with fewer sensors would have to "prove" itself, and would be met with hesitation from customers, regulators, insurers, and the like. The baseline cost of every car is higher. Visual, RF and audio spectrum pollution is ubiquitous. More parts, more wiring, more weight, more data to correlate and process, more complicated software, more corner cases, more things to break, more expensive to maintain.

Tesla's "vision only" push places these cars in a realm where they really function like superhuman humans. Overlapping cameras replace the human neck swivel, and neural networks replace our object persistence and critical thinking abilities. By precedent, this should be enough.

We're at a very very unique point in time where neural networks and mobile computational power have converged to make what Tesla's doing even remotely possible. If self driving cars had come first (in a widespread way), we would have been chained to a huge and unnecessary sensor suite for decades, if not forever.
Someone made a spork with a steak knife on the handle. Utilitarian, lightweight but most importantly, reduced costs for the manufacturer at the risk of everyone cutting their hands everytime they used it.

While I don't need a thousand spoons to eat a bowl of soup safely, minimalism isnt always the best, safest or most practical route.

You need a fork and a knife to eat a steak with at least a semblance of etiquette. Some things just work better in conjunction with each other.

I hope you can appreciate the effort put into a pretty spot on metaphor.

I present to you... The Tesla Utensil:

1670562065921.png

Last edited:
I do, but it falls apart.
Your spork with the steak knife on the handle is a great example of why sensor fusion fails... not why we can't reduce sensor diversity. You kept all of the sensors in both cases. 😁
No, the metaphor was a single sensor taking on the job of many separate sensors ;)

"Tesla Vision" = the Tesla Utensil.

Advertised to be as good or better than a full suite of ADAS sensors, cheaper to produce and perpetually in BETA as consumers figure out how not to use it inappropriately and under constant supervision. It slices just at a little slower max speed, it dices just at a further following distance, it scoops your soup in dry weather with auto wipers... and now 100% completely USSless. 🤣

Reactions: Mike7564
Moderator note: The title of this thread has been edited from the original.

I just found out that my car was not equipped with the USS features, but has not transitioned over to the new tesla vision. So currently has not safety features like parking assist or sensors, not blindspot alerts, no summons or really minimum self driving features. This is a 2023 with no safety. What do I do??
Sell the car and buy a 2022? All the features that are missing will be restored in due time and probably/maybe even function better without USS. At the end of the day, the camera functionality should be good enough once they work out the software. Just enjoy your new car dude.

Sell the car and buy a 2022? All the features that are missing will be restored in due time and probably/maybe even function better without USS. At the end of the day, the camera functionality should be good enough once they work out the software. Just enjoy your new car dude.
Not the right attitude if you just dropped $70k on a car. After reading about this no uss issue, im thinking about postponing or canceling my order because of this. Having a working parking sensor is a basic feature in 2022. It’s an inexcusable anti customer move.

Status
Not open for further replies.