Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received my new car without ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly likely just mistaken. Not uncommon that the SA/sales staff have inaccurate info about software updates. Tesla's official message about it is: "It's coming" but we don't know when that will be.
I like to think so too. Her wording was kind of vague. She said ‘Already in motion for vehicles that are being delivered.’ I guess she’s learned too well from her boss!😐

Reactions: RadMD86
We can sit here and complain about Tesla vehicles not having sensors or small minor crap, but in reality they are the best EV's out here which includes their charging network. I have driven others and yes they are visually appealing and have bling on the interior, they just don't compare technology wise to Tesla. Tesla cars are constantly updating and getting better (some may think otherwise). If you want it buy and enjoy it.. Life is short
Agreed, good point.

My 1-week old USS-less Model 3 does not have vision-enable "parking sensors" yet.
You likely wont get any updates for a month or so. What version are you on? They leave cars on a standard build when they come off the production line to baseline everything. You'll eventually get updated.

Not sure if that applies to the "Christmas" updates... they tend to want to push those out to everyone.

Reactions: android04
I hear that there will be a major software update this december. Hopefully the parking alerts are activated. We do miss this feature and would be very helpful, especially with how poor rear visibility is in the Y. Rear camera is excellent though.

I was disappointed with the loss of ultrasonic sensors and thought it was simply a cost savings (which it is) but in listening to a former lead of Tesla tech stuff (can't remember his name now) but this is actually technologically better.
It takes away a lot of errors and erroneous information for FSD/Driver assist. The way he described it made a lot of sense in reliability and improving the experience.
It's actually an advancement. I'll have to find that interview...

The one problem I don't know how they will overcome is the 'blind spots' very close to the front/rear bumpers that the cameras don't see.
Maybe that's a tradeoff or maybe the car tracks objects to predict where it is when they disappear?

You likely wont get any updates for a month or so. What version are you on? They leave cars on a standard build when they come off the production line to baseline everything. You'll eventually get updated.

Not sure if that applies to the "Christmas" updates... they tend to want to push those out to everyone.
I'm on version 2022.40.100

I hear that there will be a major software update this december. Hopefully the parking alerts are activated. We do miss this feature and would be very helpful, especially with how poor rear visibility is in the Y. Rear camera is excellent though.

I was disappointed with the loss of ultrasonic sensors and thought it was simply a cost savings (which it is) but in listening to a former lead of Tesla tech stuff (can't remember his name now) but this is actually technologically better.
It takes away a lot of errors and erroneous information for FSD/Driver assist. The way he described it made a lot of sense in reliability and improving the experience.
It's actually an advancement. I'll have to find that interview...

The one problem I don't know how they will overcome is the 'blind spots' very close to the front/rear bumpers that the cameras don't see.
Maybe that's a tradeoff or maybe the car tracks objects to predict where it is when they disappear?
USS does a terrible job seeing parking stops or low curbs so I don't see much difference when using the front facing cameras. There are very few situations where something will show up below the bumper that the USS would see, but the cameras cannot. Let's not forget USS limitations that won't be limitations using the camera setup (i.e. poles, parking stops, curbs, etc)

*I can't edit my post but to update:
My info is from Andrej Karpathy, former director of Ai at Tesla.

@VT_EE sounds good. Glad the cameras won't have blind spots.
I didn't say there isn't a blind spot. There is a small blind spot for a couple feet out just below the front bumper. However, that is only a problem if something moves into this blind spot after the car has parked. The Vision-based solution is supposed to have persistent memory so the car will remember what was in front of the car even after it goes to sleep. We'll see how this works in reality. I assume we will have to deal with a beta period where it's half baked.

Just took delivery of my MYLR and do miss the inch-by-inch distance estimates USS offered. We got a 24 hour test drive and parked in our garage before we ordered and both my wife and I loved the feature since we have a pretty tight garage. Our 2007 Prius and 2015 Leaf obviously didn’t have the feature, so it really stood out to us as being useful. The first time I pulled into the garage in the Tesla, I asked my wife to get out and see if I was in far enough to close the garage and said, “Wait, doesn’t it tell you?” I’ve since asked my daughter to do the same thing and she said, “Maybe you need to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling like in the old days to park your fancy new car.”

Anyway, we love the car and don’t regret our decision at all given the fun ride and other great features, but it a minor annoyance not to have this feature. I hope they get it fixed before I go buy a can of tennis balls.

Reactions: jeewee3000
We currently have a M3 LR and are looking at ending the current lease early and taking on a MY LR as need some extra space the Y provides over the M3. There are loads of inventory MYs and some lease brokers have a fair few in stock too. Is there anyway in checking (the VIN no) if any of these stock cars have USS or would I be right to assume all those delivered now are without? I see some few new MY owners have received their orders with USS. My wife is apprehensive in taking the car without.

I'm on 2022.40.100 since delivery and have not received any updates yet. Why Tesla updated some vechcles with USS and not updating the USS-less vehicles?
It is common for new vehicles to run a factory "islanded" firmware version for a month, or more, before they start getting normal production updates. But even then, Tesla does not update the entire fleet at once, and there are often 4+ different firmware versions being actively deployed at the same time. (Depending on what car you have, and what hardware it contains.)

It is common for new vehicles to run a factory "islanded" firmware version for a month, or more, before they start getting normal production updates. But even then, Tesla does not update the entire fleet at once, and there are often 4+ different firmware versions being actively deployed at the same time. (Depending on what car you have, and what hardware it contains.)
wow the concept of "island" is interesting not seen anyone else is doing this on EVs or large electronics.
suprised got the true "care" from engineering team instead sales or customer service after all the journey 🤣

Pretty sure there was a notice you had to accept as part of your delivery process acknowledging this and that the features would be restored as soon as possible via Tesla vision updates.

View attachment 879233

So the short answer is nothing.

Welcome to Tesla!
Yeah. Sucks. Interesting that this particular hardware removal requires “acceptance” by the buyer. Wonder why? Obviously some legal coverage but was there a similar step when they took away LIDAR? Passenger lumbar support?

If you don’t accept it, presumably they’ll cancel your order. But then one could argue why collect the “order fee” if they can give you a different car than you ordered. Would it be ok to give you a MYP with slower acceleration? Or change MYLR range to 280 Miles? Slippery legal slope when people say the order agreement gives Carte Blanche.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
Status
Not open for further replies.