Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laguna Seca Track Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the Refuel Event, a few dozen 14-50 receptacles were provided for charging. I never needed to leave the track to Supercharge. :cool:

I was at Corsa4, which had the 14-50 available. 14-50 only get you 10~12% charge per hour, depends on the generation of MCU you have. I suppose if you do fewer laps or more leisurely pace you could milk the 14-50 all day and be happy. For most people, a track session consumes significant more charge than the 14-50 can replenish between sessions.

I was at Corsa4, which had the 14-50 available. 14-50 only get you 10~12% charge per hour, depends on the generation of MCU you have. I suppose if you do fewer laps or more leisurely pace you could milk the 14-50 all day and be happy. For most people, a track session consumes significant more charge than the 14-50 can replenish between sessions.

The provided power does not replenish 100% of charge, but more than enough to make it through all of the sessions.

View attachment 450257
Here is a photo taken at the same event of Sasha's record setting P3D. Note the dark and light batches as well, but not as bad as mine.

From that pic, Sasha's car seems to be touching the upper control arm with the wheel/tyre. Are they running quite big rubber and more positive offset on the rim ? They are very quick so are doing something right.

+1, my experience so far is that a 20 minute sessions uses 40-45% of the battery and charging with Gen I UMC at 40 amps replenishes 12.5% per hour. Replenishing one session would require about 3.5 to 4 hours. A normal 8-10 hour track day with 4 sessions is not feasible to charge only on 14-50 if you want to run all 4 sessions. Must either skip a session or supercharge somewhere in the middle.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
TeslaCorsa and ReFuel are unique event tailored to EVs, both have 14/50 charging available, and run 4 x 15min sessions. Great events if you only track EV a few times a year and/or lives close to the venues. The charging strategy discussion is useful for others that want to track their Tesla beyond TeslaCorsa and ReFuel, which I suspect is a smaller but growing group.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
+1, my experience so far is that a 20 minute sessions uses 40-45% of the battery and charging with Gen I UMC at 40 amps replenishes 12.5% per hour. Replenishing one session would require about 3.5 to 4 hours. A normal 8-10 hour track day with 4 sessions is not feasible to charge only on 14-50 if you want to run all 4 sessions. Must either skip a session or supercharge somewhere in the middle.

My last session at Laguna Seca with NCRC, run 12 laps (10 hot laps), used 60% of charge. Lap 3 and 4 of that session were 1:46.11, 1:46.24. More seat time and less fat boy food is needed. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: destructure00
From that pic, Sasha's car seems to be touching the upper control arm with the wheel/tyre. Are they running quite big rubber and more positive offset on the rim ? They are very quick so are doing something right.

We were running super wide 18" wheels with slicks, so Jesse had to spend some time clearancing the spindles so they would fit without spacers. We also had to shave down the brake calipers to fit as well. After each session, the brakes and suspension would heat up and the wheel would start touching things again!

We were running super wide 18" wheels with slicks, so Jesse had to spend some time clearancing the spindles so they would fit without spacers. We also had to shave down the brake calipers to fit as well. After each session, the brakes and suspension would heat up and the wheel would start touching things again!
Cool. You also probably found the extra clearance needed due to bearing and stub axle flex - lateral loadings would have been way up with those slicks - what was the lateral G loading comparison between the sticky street tyre and the slick? And whats this I hear about Elon saying the Tesla model S is now fastest 4 door around Laguna Seca. Faster than your car? Keep up the great work Sasha and co!

whoa, 1.36.55 is a bit of a hotrod Model S. I guess this is the format they have sent to the nurburgring? Tesla announces Model S with 'Plaid powertrain' and new 'chassis prototype' - Electrek

And it was with an amateur driver.

Yeah, I wonder how long before this hits production. Also wonder what it will be priced at.

Elon said it is about a year out before the plaid drive train Model S/X would be available. Details to come "soon".

@BigBluu Come join me, I'm registered for all three days. PCA-GGR DE #7

Are you running the 3 at that event? I thought it was limited to Porsche cars only.

I’ll be back at Laguna Seca on 10/26 with Speed SF. I was last there at TC4 too, and my personal best in my bone stock P3D+ was just into the 1’46”.

Now that I have UP coilovers, sway bars, and RB rotors & pads, I’m hoping to drop that by at least 2 seconds :D

Reactions: MoreAgain
Now that I have UP coilovers, sway bars, and RB rotors & pads, I’m hoping to drop that by at least 2 seconds :D

Ditto that.

Yes, I will be running my 3 at the Porsche event. I ran in that same triple day event some 10yrs ago in my 2003 MINI Cooper S. Porsche club cares more about the driver qualification (safe and proper track etiquette) than the car. I will need to do a few safety check laps with an instructor before I'm signed off to drive on my own, which is fine by me.