Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Landlord won't let me charge, says I need a permit for the 125v portable charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. One is hard-wired. The other you just plug in. As others have mentioned, you don't need a permit for a hair dryer, etc. so why would you need a permit for a plug-in EVSE? No one has shown any proof that a permit is required one a plug-in EVSE. A lot of use have been around for years and this is the first we've heard of such a "requirement".

Also, the MC is mobile. You take it anywhere and should be able to plug it in. There's no way people could get permits for every conceivable outlet they would need to plug it into.

My point is that you may not need a permit to plug anything in. But to run a new line to do it, you might. I'd not saying definitively that you do or don't. I'm advising a closer look at that town's codes or speaking with the building department.

My point is that you may not need a permit to plug anything in. But to run a new line to do it, you might. I'd not saying definitively that you do or don't. I'm advising a closer look at that town's codes or speaking with the building department.
You're clearly not following this thread very closely. The whole discussion is about plugging into an existing outlet.
Clearly if you add a new circuit or pull any new wire, you need a permit, at least in California you do.

You're clearly not following this thread very closely. The whole discussion is about plugging into an existing outlet.
Clearly if you add a new circuit or pull any new wire, you need a permit, at least in California you do.

Many counties in CA allow the owner to do minor electrical without pulling a permit. In my understanding, that means I can add a circuit and run a wire. I did that very thing putting in a 14-50 for my daughter's X. I have run short wires to plugs in my garage, short only because I didn't want to pull sheetrock off.

If this offends any electricians in Napa County, Hey. I've been wiring houses in Missouri (they don't require permits for owners' work where I lived in Boone County) and warehouses and more houses, and a few more houses. My advice is that if you don't know what you're doing in any adventure, get help. That's how I learned. Wiring an outlet is not SpaceX. And where I live, a permit is not required for an outlet.

Hello
My name is Kirill and I'm the electrical contractor (Evchargerexpert).
We work with EV charger installations every day. In your situation you shouldn't have the permit for the outlet 110V but the problem number one is this outlet is without ground protection (green wire). It is always neytral and phase. It will be trip of the breaker.
The portable Tesla charger can work only with ground.
For 240V (NEMA 14-50,6-50,6-20 and etc.) you need the permit. Palo Alto has the cost(fee) for that 280$ because it is level-2.
This installation is always with the permit.

If you are an electrical contractor in the US I'd suggest you learn to call it 120v not 110v. The US has been on 120v since before WW2 and I doubt you are old enough to remember the days of 110v in the US.

Many counties in CA allow the owner to do minor electrical without pulling a permit. In my understanding, that means I can add a circuit and run a wire. I did that very thing putting in a 14-50 for my daughter's X. I have run short wires to plugs in my garage, short only because I didn't want to pull sheetrock off.

If this offends any electricians in Napa County, Hey. I've been wiring houses in Missouri (they don't require permits for owners' work where I lived in Boone County) and warehouses and more houses, and a few more houses. My advice is that if you don't know what you're doing in any adventure, get help. That's how I learned. Wiring an outlet is not SpaceX. And where I live, a permit is not required for an outlet.
Whether you need a permit or not is up to your local Authority Having Jurisdiction, be that your city or county. My experience in California is that homeowners are allowed to do any work on their own home that a licensed contractor would normally do, but permits and inspections are still required. I think if you asked your AHJ, they would say that you should have pulled a permit when you added the 14-50 outlet.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BerTX and SDRick

Plugging something in is different than hard-wiring something. I think your misunderstanding is that the wall connector is a hard wired device, not a plug in device.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You folks TRYING to get the OP kicked out?

He didn’t ask for a wall connector or 240V circuit.

He’s asking for help to plug into an existing 120V circuit. And How to show/prove to his landlord that no permit should be needed.

Even though checking the circuit out is a VERY good idea (owner or non-owner) it’s not required. But it might help ease landlord’s concerns.

Might also want to check your own renters insurance policy. Every person should have an umbrella policy. Having that might also ease the the landlords mind that you are fully covered in the event of an accident. Accidents can happen even on 120V with a legitimate installation.

You folks TRYING to get the OP kicked out?

He didn’t ask for a wall connector or 240V circuit.

He’s asking for help to plug into an existing 120V circuit. And How to show/prove to his landlord that no permit should be needed.

Even though checking the circuit out is a VERY good idea (owner or non-owner) it’s not required. But it might help ease landlord’s concerns.

Might also want to check your own renters insurance policy. Every person should have an umbrella policy. Having that might also ease the the landlords mind that you are fully covered in the event of an accident. Accidents can happen even on 120V with a legitimate installation.

I think there have been plenty of opinions directly related to the OP across the 5 pages of replies. At some point, the replies start to wander off topic.

Many (most?) jurisdictions allow you to replace a receptacle or a light fixture without a permit, but adding a circuit generally requires one. Here are Oregon's rules:

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.33.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.33.51 PM.png

Also, at least in Oregon, a homeowner is allowed to do any kind of construction on their own home (they don't have to be licensed), but if a permit is required you must get one just like a professional would.

Yes. One is hard-wired. The other you just plug in. As others have mentioned, you don't need a permit for a hair dryer, etc. so why would you need a permit for a plug-in EVSE? No one has shown any proof that a permit is required for a plug-in EVSE. A lot of us have been around for years and this is the first we've heard of such a "requirement".

Also, the MC is mobile. You take it anywhere and should be able to plug it in. There's no way people could get permits for every conceivable outlet they would need to plug it into.

No you're misunderstanding me. I know the connector is mobile. The run from your circuit breaker to the outlet (whether the Tesla wall connector, or a NEMA outlet) is not that HAS to be wired and draw current from your house, I believe, or can understand that some municipalities would require one to have a permit to run a new line in your house. I'm not talking about anything that plugs into that connector, whether Tesla, Hair Dryer, Electric dryer etc.) I hope I've clarified this some.

No you're misunderstanding me. I know the connector is mobile. The run from your circuit breaker to the outlet (whether the Tesla wall connector, or a NEMA outlet) is not that HAS to be wired and draw current from your house, I believe, or can understand that some municipalities would require one to have a permit to run a new line in your house. I'm not talking about anything that plugs into that connector, whether Tesla, Hair Dryer, Electric dryer etc.) I hope I've clarified this some.

So what I'm saying is it makes no difference what's drawing the power, it's the run to the outlet, *I think* the municipality wants to verify is done to code. I went with the electrician Tesla recommended, so I was confident it'd be done right, so I went ahead.

No you're misunderstanding me. I know the connector is mobile. [...] I hope I've clarified this some.
But you're misunderstanding this entire thread, so it's hard to clarify that when you were suggesting that a permit might be needed. There is no new wiring run. The building is not getting any electrical work done, period. The landlady is simply giving him unreasonable &^#@ about plugging something into an existing outlet that is in the house. No electrical work = no permit.

I think this is the section on EVSE installation and usage in rental properties: Law section

I'm not super well versed in the law, but if I remember correctly, your landlord cannot prevent you from charging your vehicle if you're paying for it.

The Landlord is not preventing the OP from charging, she just believes that the OP needs a permit prior to being able to charge. It is up to the OP to either get a permit or satisfy the Landlord's concern that a permit is not required. There is nothing the Landlord is requesting that is against the law.

As many have suggested, my recommendation would also be to have a licensed electrician (that the Landlord approves) inspect the outlet so that the electrician can (A) confirm the wiring was done correctly and can handle the load from charging and (B) can confirm to the Landlord that a permit is not required for a plug-in mobile connector.

Having said all this, the OP has not been on TMC for two days now so he may not be reading any of these posts anymore. We might as well wait for him to resurface and give us all an update.